Why 3-4 more flags are possible (the Dimnasty) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why 3-4 more flags are possible (the Dimnasty)

Jack would have the highest Footy IQ in the game.
I agree with this.

Makes me wonder why he argues with the umpires so much - its a no win situation. Definition of insanity....

It’s the culture that is important, not the personalities. Of the recent dynasties, both Brisbane and Hawthorn broke the culture when their flag stars retired. The younger players were not able to maintain it once the onus fell onto them.

Geelong, on the other hand, were able to transition from Scarlett, Chapman, Bartel, Ling and Enright to Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan and Taylor. Even Gazza came back for a couple of good seasons.

Cotchin, Riewoldt and co have estblished a culture that is as strong as any we have seen. Can it be passed to the next generation? Can it thrive without them?

Reactions: 2 users
It’s the culture that is important, not the personalities. Of the recent dynasties, both Brisbane and Hawthorn broke the culture when their flag stars retired. The younger players were not able to maintain it once the onus fell onto them.

Geelong, on the other hand, were able to transition from Scarlett, Chapman, Bartel, Ling and Enright to Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan and Taylor. Even Gazza came back for a couple of good seasons.

Cotchin, Riewoldt and co have estblished a culture that is as strong as any we have seen. Can it be passed to the next generation? Can it thrive without them?

We'll be lucky if it can

We'll be lucky if it can
Agree. But that is the challenge. in my opinion, Hawthorn broke it themselves when they encouraged Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge to go elsewhere. Two years later they were bringing in the next generation of leaders, McEvoy, Mitchell and co. Terrible list strategy.

Love the optimism but the reality is nothing lasts forever so drink it up.
More worried about when the upper echelon leadership departs, than I am the make up of our best 22.
We will lose Bash this year and most likely JR8, Cotchy and Dave after the 22 season.

Another flag this year might entice another retirement from that group.

Leppa, must've been absent when we drafted Dow, Cumberland, Martyn, Ralphsmith, Mansell and Ross.
We have 6 picks under 50 this year.
We are a 'destination' club.
We have Bolton, Graham, Short, Baker, Balta and Soldo all under 25

We have a core of players with drafting and poaching will have us contending till the end of this decade.
Im confident, we have another 2 flags in the next 3 years alone

Our scouting of state leagues has been truly exceptional. I'd love to know who does this for us in WA.

But the real key is we have the essentials in place to get the best out of these kids.

1. Our own VFL side
2. Exceptional player support and personal development strategies
3. The strongest club culture in the league IMO
4. First rate facilities

All this supported by an ever-diversifying business model.

It is as good a model as you could predict for sustained success.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Cotch, JR8, Rance, elevated the now respected Tiger culture and I might be wrong but I reckon Ivan Maric started it when he was playing.

Ivvy was all about respect, work and being humble, and the others eventually picked it up and elevated across the board to a greater level (remember Ivan cleaning the rooms after a game - Cotchy still does it to this day and hes the boss).

The youngsters are bearing witness to it (just as Cotchy did with Ivan) hopefully they grab it and keep it going.

Ivan Maric and Chris Knights brought some professionalism to the RFC when they arrived, sadly Chris's shocking knee injury against the Kochies killed his career off when he was playing some very good footy for the Tigers and Ivan's will took its toll on his body.

Shane Edwards, Dylan Grimes, Nick Vlastuin, Dustin (does lead but much less overtly), Toby, Dion, Graham, Lambo, Baker, and Broad are all there to carry on the culture for a little while yet, and Tommy is an ex Captain himself.

The key is to instill that culture within the youngsters who will be long term Tigers such as Noah and Baker and Shai and Graham etc.

Mansell already seems to have got on board with the RFC man ethos on field so maybe he's another that will help to keep it alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This draft is vital. Fork in the road stuff. So exciting.

Buzzing for four. Buzzing for more.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure I’ve got it right.... he runs the Weststar football academy and is involved with junior development. A bit of google stalking will bring up some info!

Shane Edwards, Dylan Grimes, Nick Vlastuin, Dustin (does lead but much less overtly), Toby, Dion, Graham, Lambo, Baker, and Broad are all there to carry on the culture for a little while yet, and Tommy is an ex Captain himself.
Big Dave Astbury is a huge part of the culture. Huge.