Why did Gourdis fail to get a spot? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why did Gourdis fail to get a spot?

blx said:
anyone have any clue as to why this happened?

As I wrote back at carnival time, Gourdis didn't move around alot but was presented with innumerable opportunities. From these, he still managed only a handful of goals from all his games.
When kicking for goal, it was evident that as he started his run up he was veering to the left, and his shots veered to the left also.

On top of that at screening time, although impressive with a 2.93 sprint, his endurance was so poor as to guess, as I laughingly alluded, that he may even be a smoker.

To conclude, Cleve Hughes, when he was South Australian U18 capt/vice-capt, looked much better than Gourdis. Hughes & Gourdis are the same height. Hughes had/has more natural talent & better skills.

The one we should be focussing on is McGinnity. He missed out because of a perceived lack of natural talent, ie he was more of a hard worker than a natural footy talent.

To me, McGinnity is the boy who has the work ethic to succeed, the athletic ability to run all day, the explosive pace to be first to the ball, the footy nous to either get the clearance or blanket his opponent. He has adequate skills for our inside onballing needs.

To me McGinnity is the Leigh Adams of 2007, or like Swallow in 2005. The Kangas had the sense to grab the available Adams in the rookie draft last year. He has now been elevated to the senior list. We should do the same with McGinnity, if he chooses to come to Victoria.

Phantom said:
The one we should be focussing on is McGinnity. He missed out because of a perceived lack of natural talent, ie he was more of a hard worker than a natural footy talent.

To me, McGinnity is the boy who has the work ethic to succeed, the athletic ability to run all day, the explosive pace to be first to the ball, the footy nous to either get the clearance or blanket his opponent. He has adequate skills for our inside onballing needs.

Sounds like one N.Foley.

skiptomystu said:
Sounds like one N.Foley.

Probably not as much of a ball magnet as young Nathan Foley.
I'd probably compare McGinnity to a young Tony Free.

Phantom said:

To me McGinnity is the Leigh Adams of 2007, or like Swallow in 2005. The Kangas had the sense to grab the available Adams in the rookie draft last year. He has now been elevated to the senior list. We should do the same with McGinnity, if he chooses to come to Victoria.

Agree, especially about the percieved lack of talent bit. I personally think he has loads of talent, but he's no highlight reel player. He's a true footballer as he can find the football.

I watched the WA v VM game numerous times and watched McGinnity closely. You don't notice him much, but before you know it he's racked up posessions in the high 20's. Not only did he shut down Cotchin, but he gave WA first use on numerous occassions. His hands and decision making in close were very good and his skills were neat. This was not a one off performance because he made the U18 All Australian team.

I think clubs try to be too cute at times in the national draft, which explains why so many players are making it via the rookie draft. Good players are being overlooked in an attempt to strike gold.

Hyde, Tivendale and Moore will not give us more than what they already have. I don't know why we keep them on. Even though we had 3 good picks in this draft, it simply is not enough for a wooden spoon team. Actually it's a disgrace. 2 more should have been delisted and we should have used 2 more picks in the national draft aswell as first pick in the PSD. McGinnity and Gourdis as later picks and one more in the PSD would have topped it off. We are too conservative with player turnover.

Anyone know what McGinnity is doing? He hasn't flown across here so it looks like he's not on our radar.

DirtyDogTiger said:
why do we tolerate poor kicking in players we don't have, but abhor poor kickers that we do have?

Great point Dog.I think in this day & age kicking skills has a massive say in whether you get picked or not!

IanG said:
Anyone know what McGinnity is doing? He hasn't flown across here so it looks like he's not on our radar.

Here's the answer to a similar question that Harry asked me in a PM.

McGinnity out of the top 20 was a surprise to me too.

Though on Sunday morning, both Francis nor Greg weren't surprised. I don't think either have any inclination towards McGinnity but that may be playing their cards close to their chest. Mind you, with pick #1 in the PSD & pick #1 in the RD, they may as well bid open mezzaire.

I'll see them again tomorrow night.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't McGinnity be competing against Marco polo, Kingy and Andy Collins amongst others for similar positions? And I noticed he has that awkward double handed ball dropping style for his kicking which could be a problem at AFL level. Maybe better suited for a rookie spot.

taraba said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't McGinnity be competing against Marco polo, Kingy and Andy Collins amongst others for similar positions? And I noticed he has that awkward double handed ball dropping style for his kicking which could be a problem at AFL level. Maybe better suited for a rookie spot.

Maybe Kingy, as an inside small midfielder, but not Polo or Collins who are mediums.

My guess is that he has that double handed drop because, like me, his hands aren't big enough to hold a ball single handed.
I must check his handspan tonight, when I get home, to verify this.
Just remember that Swallow was damned for short arms, yet he is now a key inside midfielder for the Kangaroos.

My only "contra" thought is that by taking McGinnity, it will probably take up one of those two rover spots that I'd put aside for the Coburg smalls. But as McGinnity is an exceptional opportunity, I'm prepared to change my mind on it.

Whether we take McGinnity with PSD #1 or Rookie #1 makes no difference to me. Though it may influence his decision to come over from WA. Crossing the country is a big decision. The contract for a PSD would seem to be more of an inducement to come over than a contract for a rookie spot.

On the other hand, that PSD pick may also be the difference between picking up a Renton or a Sullivan. Other teams have PSD picks too. Pick McGinnity and Renton may be picked up by another team.

Not a clear decision but I think we win either way.