Why the Tigers are sticking tight | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why the Tigers are sticking tight

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
1:59:23 PM Wed 13 August, 2003

Richmond president, Clinton Casey, has detailed why the Club is taking such a strong stance in support of coach Danny Frawley and his back-up team.

Casey said Frawley and co. had a clear plan for the future that needed to be fully supported at this point, to give the Tigers their best chance of creating a period of sustained success.

"Understandably, I suppose, we are copping our fair share of flak from outside the Club right now. While some would have you believe that we are a bit shaky and vulnerable, I want to assure our members and supporters that, from the inside, the resolve is strong and the group is rock-solid," Casey said.

"Danny Frawley has been with this group of players for the last four years and has a better understanding of each individual player, and the overall list, than any other person.

"He undoubtedly has the players' respect and he's had the opportunity to see each of them at their best and worst -- and under different levels of intensity. We firmly believe he is now in the best position to critically assess our list and understand the type of players that we need to recruit in order to be consistently competitive with the top teams of the competition."

Casey added that the Club's Football Department, which underwent significant change at the end of last season, was well equipped to assist Frawley in making the necessary changes to the playing list in this year's draft and trade period.

"Most of this group have contracts until the end of the 2004 season, and it is our intention to fully support them, to give them the best opportunity to fulfil their plan throughout that time," Casey said.

"And, let me assure you -- they are under no illusions as to what they need to show us, starting with the trade period and draft in the next couple of months. They have to prove that they have the capacity to deliver on their plan and to add to the young talent we already have, through the likes of Coughlan, Krakouer, Newman, Rodan, Zantuck, Chaffey and Ottens.

"Those players are the future of the Richmond Football Club. We must generate further excitement among our fans by recruiting and developing more quality young players and I'm extremely confident our experienced off-field team will deliver on their promises.

Casey also sought to clarify a comment he made in an interview with the Herald-Sun early this week that "The performance on the weekend (against St Kilda) only highlighted the fact that we're on the right track, and we will get it done".

"It was meant in the context that the style of play, types of players and the lack of intensity that was evident at Telstra Dome last Saturday night, have all been identified as issues we need to rectify at the end of this season," Casey said.

"All the worst elements which led to that insipid performance were clear to see and when those essential changes are made, we will be on the right track."

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Sounds like the hokey pokey to me. He puts his left foot in his mouth.......

Nice to know that we, the members, are "outside the club".

I'm sure that's not what Clinton "King" Casey meant but it's what he's said.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
I'm not unhappy with the article or the gist of what it's trying to say regarding the direction they've decided to take and the reasoning behind it. It just bothers me that in the eyes of the president the members are outside the club. The members are the club. No members, no club.

I know it's a small point but there's not much happening at work today.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Fair enough, work is making me go slow today too so i understand totalyl where you are coming from.

to be honest though we can all specualte as members but we realyl dont have inside knowledge of what happens for hte most part. We can analyse what we perceive but to be considered outside the club i guess from that point of view is fair, but i agree with what you are saying.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Didnt we hear similar things to this, this time last year??

Sweeping changes and all that crap?

I'll believe it when I see it... ::)

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Interpretation is a funny thing isn't it. :-\

I didn't take the outside comment as being directed at the members. I took it to mean he was referring to the media.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
RFC not KFC said:
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

"Those players are the future of the Richmond Football Club. We must generate further excitement among our fans by recruiting and developing more quality young players and I'm extremely confident our experienced off-field team will deliver on their promises.

Shouldn't this read "generate SOME excitement"!!

Sorry to be so negative. In relation to the players i try not to be - but the coaching, i can't help myself.

After 4 years, to sit and watch a team which has no system in their play except to run the mark of Zorro out of defense, ziging this way, zaging that - then going backwards before ziging back to where the original possession was won - then maybe a kick to the outer wing boundary......turn it up!!

If this article was to make sense, then what of say North Melbourne for one example who had Wayne Schimmelbusch as coach for a few seasons and turned them into crap. Along comes Denis Pagan, and OVERNIGHT without having an inner knowledge of whether any player had ingrown gonads, impacted *smile* or a fungal disease of the scalp - suddenly they're kicking (_(_) including ours.

The FACT IS that if every coach is doing his job, then he WILL know the strengths and weaknesses of our players - seemingly better than our own coach from the results that we are seeing.

We have no visible game plan, have made shocking recruiting decisions - but somehow an 80 point pants down, bend us over rogering is considered evidence that we are in fact "On the RIGHT TRACK"!!

Wooooohhooooo, and to think that i made the mistake of thinking we were rabble!

I'm such a *smile*! :-X

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
I am sick of all these nuffas having to clarify themselves after they make halfwits of themselves in the media........blah blah blah....Terry Wallace said it best when you judge a coach "figures don't lie"

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
frickenel said:
RFC not KFC said:
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Shouldn't this read "generate SOME excitement"!!

Sorry to be so negative. In relation to the players i try not to be - but the coaching, i can't help myself.

After 4 years, to sit and watch a team which has no system in their play except to run the mark of Zorro out of defense, ziging this way, zaging that - then going backwards before ziging back to where the original possession was won - then maybe a kick to the outer wing boundary......turn it up!!

If this article was to make sense, then what of say North Melbourne for one example who had Wayne Schimmelbusch as coach for a few seasons and turned them into crap. Along comes Denis Pagan, and OVERNIGHT without having an inner knowledge of whether any player had ingrown gonads, impacted *smile* or a fungal disease of the scalp - suddenly they're kicking (_(_) including ours.

The FACT IS that if every coach is doing his job, then he WILL know the strengths and weaknesses of our players - seemingly better than our own coach from the results that we are seeing.

We have no visible game plan, have made shocking recruiting decisions - but somehow an 80 point pants down, bend us over rogering is considered evidence that we are in fact "On the RIGHT TRACK"!!

Wooooohhooooo, and to think that i made the mistake of thinking we were rabble!

I'm such a d***! :-X

LMAOOOO - I'm in stitches. Frickenel great stuff.

Ruthless Tigers ?

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2003
What a complete crock of *smile*! Whatever they say they cannot hide the fact that this team has no direction, no direction , no success, no success, no future. I not sure whether Tony Greenberg realsies that without success and much needed change things will fall apart quickly. There is no direction in recruiting,there is no leadership from the coach down. They are scared of the past and reluctant to head to the future. The future is minus SPUD and his DUDS and that includes players who do not have the skills to keep pace