Will Hawkins get suspended? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Will Hawkins get suspended?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
At the very least a facial gouge? Where did you get that from? Grave risk of damage to the eye? Once again, where did you get that from?

The AFL's legal counsel said the vision showed Greene "making contact with the forearm and hands to Bontempelli's head" and "the pulling of Bontempelli's hair".

Still, if a facial gouge with grave risk of damage to the eye helps your argument, then carry on.

It's pretty clear what Toby was trying to do in both instances. Stamp it out before someone gets seriously hurt. Should have been suspended for 2 or 3 the previous week. Purposely sticking your fingers anywhere near someone's eye is not on at any level. I love Toby as a skilled player when that's what he concentrates on but he's a loose cannon.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
He has to be the dumbest player going around.

Absolutely. To get away with it the first week after being heavily scrutinised in the media and to go and do it again the next week, how thick do you really have to be?

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Rubbish. The play was a cowardly attack on a defenceless player. Always going to attract scrutiny.
So if Cotchin did the same thing ie. making contact with the forearm and hands to Bont's head and pulling his hair, with no eye gouging, you'd give him 4 weeks?

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
So if Cotchin did the same thing ie. making contact with the forearm and hands to Bont's head and pulling his hair, with no eye gouging, you'd give him 4 weeks?
That’s not what occurred. You keep asking what did I see and I have responded. You are a fool to ask if you don’t want to know.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Cotchin is not a raving lunatic like Tobes so the question is moot

Reactions: 1 user

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
That’s not what occurred. You keep asking what did I see and I have responded. You are a fool to ask if you don’t want to know.
Of course it's not what occurred, but would Cotchin have deserved 4 weeks + if he did the same act as Greene?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Greene is a grub who represents the worst in professional sport but there's no way he should be getting a week based on the Neale incident.

Disagree. In isolation it was enough. What the hell is he doing his his hand deliberately in an opponents face like that? The fact he did worse the week before may mean some view this suspension as unjust, which is understandable, but what he did is still not acceptable.

It's like the MRO intent vs outcome debate. While modern footy seems to focus on outcome (or possible outcome in Dusty's case), the Grub's intent warranted a suspension if for nothing other than to make a statement that there's no place in footy for it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Agreed on the inconsistency and I addressed that in my post.

Whether the ball was close or not is immaterial. The video clearly shows you he was going for the face, not the ball. Damage or not it's a *smile*'s act and there is no place for that in footy.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What did he actually do to deserve 2 weeks?
Your a massive apologist for a grubby recidivist.

Why did Greene apologise to the bont if he did nothing wrong?

His football career will end quickly, let’s hope he’s had some good advice along the way so he’s not robbing servos to get by.

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Cotchin is not a raving lunatic like Tobes so the question is moot
He isn't thankfully.

My point is the prejudice both positive and negative towards certain players. Nat Fyfe the wholesome Brownlow medallist could pull out a sawn off shotgun and blow someone away and get a $1500 fine. Took Ablett 3 goes to get done this year, the Bont breaks Haynes' larynx, Tom Mitchell whacks someone from behind. The list goes on.

The prejudice of the AFL is appalling. If you're a "good" guy, you'll get off more often than not. If you don't fit the clean-cut image, you're screwed.

Obviously it's not possible, but if you judged these incidents by the actions only, and not who the player is, there would be some massively different results.

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Your a massive apologist for a grubby recidivist.

Why did Greene apologise to the bont if he did nothing wrong?

His football career will end quickly, let’s hope he’s had some good advice along the way so he’s not robbing servos to get by.
No mate, not an apologist, I just prefer to judge the actual incident and not get swept up in the wave of outrage.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He isn't thankfully.

My point is the prejudice both positive and negative towards certain players. Nat Fyfe the wholesome Brownlow medallist could pull out a sawn off shotgun and blow someone away and get a $1500 fine. Took Ablett 3 goes to get done this year, the Bont breaks Haynes' larynx, Tom Mitchell whacks someone from behind. The list goes on.

The prejudice of the AFL is appalling. If you're a "good" guy, you'll get off more often than not. If you don't fit the clean-cut image, you're screwed.

Obviously it's not possible, but if you judged these incidents by the actions only, and not who the player is, there would be some massively different results.

Possibly, but young Tobes has been doing these borderline things for a long time now. There's a reason why he is perceived as being of bad character and Cotch is perceived as being of good character.

And I don't care if the evidence is definitive or not - if your hand goes into the eyes and face of another player who is pinned on the ground then I'm going to figure you are up to no good. And if you do it again the next week I'm going to think even worse.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Greene went for his opponent's face. Exactly what should we do about this? Nothing? He should have been suspended, and for longer than a week.

The way some people present this issue it would be like I took a shot at someone, but, if I miss it is fine - no damage done no penalty. It is not the damage done, it is not the potential damage, which should attract a penalty - it is the act of the offending player which should decide the penalty. Scratching, or attempting to scratch, an opponent's face deserves a suspension.

DS

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Possibly, but young Tobes has been doing these borderline things for a long time now. There's a reason why he is perceived as being of bad character and Cotch is perceived as being of good character.

And I don't care if the evidence is definitive or not - if your hand goes into the eyes and face of another player who is pinned on the ground then I'm going to figure you are up to no good. And if you do it again the next week I'm going to think even worse.
Agreed that your hands shouldn't go near a player's face, as you do leave yourself open to scrutiny. He's done that 2 weeks in a row now which is definitely very high in stupidity. If the evidence isn't definitive or not? I don't know about that.

He is definitely perceived as being of bad character, which is cognitive bias. Toby = bad = perceived as guilty. Conversely Nat Fyfe = good = perceived as innocent. Fyfe ran through Tom Lynch with an elbow earlier and didn't even get a fine?? Whatever your dislike of Greene, he would have got weeks for that act.

Focus on the actual act, not the person.

Research has shown that in the US if an African-American (with an African-American sounding name) sends in a CV for a job, chances are they won't get an interview compared to a John Smith, even though John Smith's CV is inferior. Cognitive bias. Some clever companies now use software that removes names, addresses...anything that could result in a bias, and interviews are granted purely on quals, experience, suitability to the job meaning they get the very best candidates.

Anyway, enough about Toby, can't wait for tonight. Go Tiges!

• Wow