will we need to be vaccinated to attend games in 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

will we need to be vaccinated to attend games in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
David very small localised sample and findings do not seem to have been peer reviewed. Jury still out.

I think the bigger issue we will be facing is how to deal with the gradual decline of antibodies that is occurring amongst vaccinated individuals (https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02532-4).
That’s my concern too.

Mutating, evolving is my worry which will for certain occur.

I have heard there is a new strand but can’t find information so possibly a rumour.

A life of yearly ‘boosters”

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
David very small localised sample and findings do not seem to have been peer reviewed. Jury still out.

I think the bigger issue we will be facing is how to deal with the gradual decline of antibodies that is occurring amongst vaccinated individuals (https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02532-4).
Much to consider from this article but some of my main take-outs:

- In one of the only long-term studies to consider these three planks of the immune system simultaneously — antibodies, B cells and T cells — researchers found that vaccination spurred durable cellular immunity. Memory B cells continued to grow in numbers for at least six months, and got better at fighting the virus over time. T-cell counts remained relatively stable, dipping only slightly over the duration of the study period.

- Still, globally, there is as yet no indication that the rates of severe illness among the vaccinated are spiking in any appreciable way.

- So far, no human vaccine has been completely undermined by resistance in the way that many anti-infective drugs have, says Andrew Read, who studies the evolution of infectious diseases at Pennsylvania State University in University Park

- Kondrashov’s modelling work has shown, resistant viruses are most likely to emerge when transmission is not controlled. Getting more people vaccinated is the single most effective intervention to keep transmission rates low

- And as long as vaccinated people are staying out of hospitals and morgues, then to Katrina Lythgoe, an evolutionary epidemiologist at the University of Oxford, UK, theoretical arguments around vaccine resistance are secondary. “In my view,” she says, “apart from people who are particularly vulnerable, efforts should be directed to getting people, globally, vaccinated.”

- “There’s compelling evidence that the third dose increases protection dramatically.”

So quite likely boosters may be required but could well depend on reducing transmission so much by fuller vaccination of the global population.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Agree, but you have to take my comment in the context of what I was replying to, which was this:

The best protection from covid is catching covid. 10 times more protection than the vaccine. Funny how that does not count to get the Vax passport. Oh wait drug companies can't make money out of that!!

I am yet to see any credible evidence that catching COVID is 10 times more effective than getting a vaccine, it is far more effective in making you sick and die, I'll grant that.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
That’s my concern too.

I have heard there is a new strand but can’t find information so possibly a rumour.

There's many new stands, hundreds of mutations occur every month. There are only a handful of concern, and these take months to "take off" - so you could be right about a new variant of concern. Delta emerged many months before it spread.

But of all these hundreds of mutations, most are simply repeating themselves around the world, independently from each other. This means the virus might disappear after a couple of years. I'm hopeful, but lack the mental energy to look further into it... anything COVID-related depresses me.

• Sad

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I suppose that should also apply to people that choose to smoke, take drugs, people involved in a car accident due to speeding etc. I take it you would also be happy with the thousands of people that try and commit suicide but fail to not be given any sort of care in our hospital systems? How the heck have we become so selfish. You do realise that Israeli hospitals are full of vaccinated people yeah?
agree. well said.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
There's many new stands, hundreds of mutations occur every month. There are only a handful of concern, and these take months to "take off" - so you could be right about a new variant of concern. Delta emerged many months before it spread.

But of all these hundreds of mutations, most are simply repeating themselves around the world, independently from each other. This means the virus might disappear after a couple of years. I'm hopeful, but lack the mental energy to look further into it... anything COVID-related depresses me.
Agree with you.
Draining....

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That’s my concern too.

Already been happening for years with standard flu shots. Not so much for younger fit n healthy people, but recommended for old farts n unhealthy people who's immune systems are compromised.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Much to consider from this article but some of my main take-outs:

- In one of the only long-term studies to consider these three planks of the immune system simultaneously — antibodies, B cells and T cells — researchers found that vaccination spurred durable cellular immunity. Memory B cells continued to grow in numbers for at least six months, and got better at fighting the virus over time. T-cell counts remained relatively stable, dipping only slightly over the duration of the study period.

- Still, globally, there is as yet no indication that the rates of severe illness among the vaccinated are spiking in any appreciable way.

- So far, no human vaccine has been completely undermined by resistance in the way that many anti-infective drugs have, says Andrew Read, who studies the evolution of infectious diseases at Pennsylvania State University in University Park

- Kondrashov’s modelling work has shown, resistant viruses are most likely to emerge when transmission is not controlled. Getting more people vaccinated is the single most effective intervention to keep transmission rates low

- And as long as vaccinated people are staying out of hospitals and morgues, then to Katrina Lythgoe, an evolutionary epidemiologist at the University of Oxford, UK, theoretical arguments around vaccine resistance are secondary. “In my view,” she says, “apart from people who are particularly vulnerable, efforts should be directed to getting people, globally, vaccinated.”

- “There’s compelling evidence that the third dose increases protection dramatically.”

So quite likely boosters may be required but could well depend on reducing transmission so much by fuller vaccination of the global population.
Yes much to ponder Leon.

International data on the efficacy and safety of 3rd doses for various cohorts is currently being analysed. This explains yesterdays ATAGI decision.

Reckon we all may need to be triple jabbed to watch the tigers live next yr.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yes much to ponder Leon.

International data on the efficacy and safety of 3rd doses for various cohorts is currently being analysed. This explains yesterdays ATAGI decision.

Reckon we all may need to be triple jabbed to watch the tigers live next yr.
I'm fine with that. Anything to escape the current Covid rut/blues/depression/imprisonment/monotony/vicious circle, or whatever else you care to describe it.

Gradually forcing it to abate until it is rendered about as dangerous as recent flu strains (still deaths sadly, I know, but far fewer, especially overseas) is what will create genuine FREEDOM again.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Agree, but you have to take my comment in the context of what I was replying to, which was this:

I am yet to see any credible evidence that catching COVID is 10 times more effective than getting a vaccine, it is far more effective in making you sick and die, I'll grant that.

DS
Agreed. While the data suggests the reinfection for people who have recovered from COVID-19 is relatively rare, have seen nothing to support the above statement.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
That’s my concern too.

Mu strain is another variant of interest Waiting. Greek alphabet being smashed. Let's hope we don't have more than 24 strains.....

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
This thread is locked. The mods and I feel it has gone off-topic.

We've had multiple reports of members re-posting content that is better suited on Facebook and Twitter.

First and foremost, we are a footy forum. Posts added to this thread, and others are divisive about their purpose in influencing people's medical decisions. Posting that someone has ill-health or death based on their choices is not the behaviour we want in this forum either.

Please re-read the forum rules, and please keep being respectful and kind to others.

Reactions: 10 users
Status
Not open for further replies.