Will we or won't we take Bolton? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Will we or won't we take Bolton?

A

admin

Tigers and Swans fight for Bolton
17 December 2002 Herald Sun
By SCOTT GULLAN

RICHMOND and Sydney are headed for a showdown over former Brisbane Lions midfielder Craig Bolton in Friday's pre-season draft.

Bolton wants to play with Sydney but the Tigers, who have the selection before the Swans, have not ruled out a last-minute sting.

Richmond's director of football Greg Miller said Bolton was still an option.

"The facts are we are quite within our rights to pick him," Miller said.

"We know he wants to play with Sydney but he is a Canberra boy, which is halfway. We're not fully decided yet, but if we think he can add something to our midfield, we will look at it.

"We won't be put off by what Sydney is saying."

The Tigers looked into arranging a trade with Brisbane for Bolton in October but nothing eventuated.

The 22-year-old struggled to get a regular game in the strong Lions' outfit and was an emergency for this year's Grand Final.

Former Magpie Carl Steinfort is unlikely to be thrown a lifeline in the pre-season draft.

Steinfort quit the Pies last week because of a lack of opportunities, but there appear to be no takers for the talented utility.

"My gut feeling is he might not be picked up," Steinfort's manager Dan Richardson said.

"There's a limited number of clubs out there but I really believe he is worth a punt."

A

admin

At least we must have got the all clear from the AFL to draft a player.
Whether we draft soemone or not, it's good to know we aren't under salary cap scrutiny.
What kind of player is Steinfort? I mustn't have taken much notice, I thought he was a backman.

A

admin

Tigers and Swans fight for Bolton
17 December 2002   Herald Sun
By SCOTT GULLAN

The Tigers looked into arranging a trade with Brisbane for Bolton in October but nothing eventuated.

Who cares what Sydney say. We still owe them for that terrible one point loss at Colonial. Stick it up them and take Bolton imo. ;D

If we were serious about trading for Bolton, surely we'd get him now when he's our for the taking?

The plot thickens. Go Greg Miller, ha.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
"The facts are we are quite within our rights to pick him," Miller said.

Agree rosy. Who cares about Sydney. It's the club's job to do what is best for Richmond. As Miller said we are in our rights to pick up whoever we want. Serve 'em right after they stole Maxfield.

Sounds like we are still keen.

"We know he wants to play with Sydney but he is a Canberra boy, which is halfway. We're not fully decided yet, but if we think he can add something to our midfield, we will look at it.

Good to hear the club understands Bolton's not a key-position player. Come to think of it, don't think there's anyone in the draft who is. Dean Talbot? ! ?

R

Rampaging Richo

Fellow tigers, my first posting..a good friend who is a BIG Lions fan doesn't rate Bolton AT ALL, in his words - tall, talented and gutless. Steinfort would be the better option if this is the case

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Steinfort was a tagger and if he found it hard to get a game for the pies well..... say no more!!
Plus are u forgetting how big a dud his brother was for us??? Lets never walk down near or even mention that path again!!!
Bolton or Shir me thinks will be the 2 most likely. I dont think you can read too much into the thoughts of a single Brisbane supporter, after all we have players we love to hate and in other peoples eyes its often unjustifiable.... get bolts and then we got em three times in a row they got Daffy we got Staffy and then we take Bolts :D The only way this could be any better is if it was from the pies or that navy team!!
;D
I got a feeling that Talbot may sneak onto the rookie list this year.... wont have to wait long to see which is good :)

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I am with you TigerDog - another Steinfort we do not knee...er I mean ... need

It will be Bolton or Shir - my gut feeling is it will probably be Shir.

As for Talbot on the Rookie List isn't he too old? Isn't he over 24-25? If he is I don't think he qualifies

R

Rampaging Richo

True..too much Queensland sun can do strange things to a person. I haven't seen much of Shir or Bolton so hard to make an informed opinion of either, however I have always felt that if you get a player from a successful organisation ie Brisbane / Adelaide then they bring with them all the things that clubs who are less successful ie Richmond :'( tend to lack - although these weaknesses are being eradicated slowly but surely.

Go for Bolton - this would give onn more person for Prez Richard Collus to give the finger to :D

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
hello fellow tigers ;D
if we could afford to go after lappin then by all means go after bolton.
if the swans are that eager then they can DEAL with us next year.

A

admin

Hiya j2r and welcome. :)
It seems like money isn't the issue, unless Bolton has named a price.
I spose he has the right to do that?
To me it seems if the club want Bolton he's ours.
The Swans owe us, I nearly got hit by a flying wheelie bin at Colonial when they beat us by a point.
Payback time. ;D
It seems strange to me that it's been kept quiet if we're planning a sting though.
You'd think the media would have got wind of something if we'd been in negotiations.
(Then again noone was expecting Blumfield at Tigerland either?

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Stuff the swans. The clubs attitude should be, He will play for us or not at all.

Rosy. I take offence at being called a tiger cub. Cant you come up with something approprite. Maybe expert analyiser or something similar. ;D

A

admin

Stuff the swans. The clubs attitude should be, He will play for us or not at all.
Would you mind translating that to English please Diggles, ha.
Rosy. I take offence at being called a tiger cub. Cant you come up with something approprite.
Yes I could for you actually, plenty of names come to mind. ;D

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
In plain English. If he is drafted and refuses to come, stuff him. He can sit it out for 1 season and risk never being picked up.

Rosie, please call me No 1 Membership card flinger!

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Part of me agrees with Diggler, screw him , thats the purpose of the draft.

My only concern is whether it would cost us anything. I'm all for pissing off a player for the sake of the club but only if the club actually gets something out of it.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
With Talbot being 27 - can't be rookie - either he gets drafted or it is back to Coburg.

If Richmond drafts Bolton he is required to play for them - it is a condition of the draft. I have no doubt that he will come to Melbourne (even if it is reluctantly) if the Tigers pick him.

A

admin

In plain English. If he is drafted and refuses to come, stuff him.

Ok that's what I didn't understand you were saying Diggler. Has Bolton said anything to that effect. I was under the impression that Sydney is his preferred club, but most guys being drafted have preferred clubs yet they realise they have to play for whoever gets in first.