Will we or won't we take Bolton? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Will we or won't we take Bolton?

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
And the option of simply sitting out for a year has gone away too (Like Chalmers did to us I believe).

These days if a player was drafted by a non preferred club and he refused to turn up its likely he would be excluded from future drafts as well. So if Bolton were to try this (which I'd strongly doubt) it would probably mean the end of his career.

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
There is no doubt that a professional footballer would move wherever required in order to play football. I have no doubt in my mind that Bolten would do the same.

I am convinced however that Richmond will not draft Bolten. In an article today, Richmond are refusing to advise whether they will participate in the draft. If they are keen on Bolten, I would have thought they would have said so and would have advised by now that they will do so. Unless....Richmond are planning to perform a sting on Stephen Powell?????

PS - all this talk about Bolten placing a price on his head to avoid being drafted by Richmond is rubbish IMO. I think Sydney would be equally unwilling to draft an unproven player who has placed a price on his head.

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
Ben Holland also opted to sit out a year. He was originally drafted by Fitzroy but refused to leave Adelaide and was traded to Richmond the following year.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
In this draft Bolton can name his price its just a matter of if the clubs are prepared to pay it.
I read somewhere i think it may have been either Miller or someone from the AFL say that he cant state that he wont play for us or things to that effect as it amounts to DRAFT TAMPERING :eek: and thats a biggy!!!
Looks like Talbot will have to remain a cult figure for Coburg which in a way isnt good as itd be great to see if he could mix it at the highest level, but whos to say he will have another year like that this year or indeed any other year?? Has he been performing at that level for more than one season at Coburg? Has he ever been on an AFL list before? How long has he been with Coburg? Where was he from?? Maybe the AFL should change the rules on the rookie list so that age is not a factor it just goes on games played I think thatd be fairer... because tall blokes for example often havent finished maturing by 22. And clubs may not want to draft them given the small lists now it may seem too risky. So guys that are 23 24 etc stand bugger all chance of bein given a go! But if they were allowed on the rookie list atleast clubs could have a proper look at them and possibly promote them through the year when u get an unfortunate yet inevitable long term injury!!
Good news to hear that Shir is eligible as a rookie take him i say in the rookie draft.
Question people........ Does the rookie draft follow the same order as the main draft tomorrow???

CrouchinTiger

"May the Funk be with you" George Clinton
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Don't know if RFC will take Bolton. He is asking for a $80000 base plus $3000 a match to stave off any clubs other than Sydney.

:)

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
So guys that are 23 24 etc stand bugger all chance of bein given a go!

For example, remember the vehemance with which many on this board have attacked the decision to draft a 24 year old Tim Fleming.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
From today's Age:

Meanwhile, the Swans are all but assured of drafting Craig Bolton after the former Lion nominated his terms and conditions for today's pre-season draft. Bolton has nominated a two-year contract and a salary above the minimum. He is the only player in the draft pool to have put a price on his head.

Richmond, which had been interested in acquiring Bolton, did not wish to commit to a two-year deal.

If that's true, I wonder if we will just pass :(. We'll find out at 10am anyway.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ben Holland also opted to sit out a year. He was originally drafted by Fitzroy but refused to leave Adelaide and was traded to Richmond the following year.

Pity for us he didn't go to Fitzroy.

D

damnfinee

we passed as expected..more mportantly what time is the rookie draft???