Williamstown V Richmond (20/06/21) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Williamstown V Richmond (20/06/21)

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah, that flopping forward in a tackle drawing a free is absolutely atrocious. If they want to stop players flopping for a free kick, they have to stop paying these. Pathetic excuse for umpiring, happens in the AFL all the time too.

Our clearances were no good, just got smacked at clearances. Players never seemed to be where the ball went.

Same issue with forward 50 entries, bombing it in to no-one in particular, that we have at AFL level. What is going on there? It needs a lot of improvement.

DS

One of the reasons that the Dogs get such a high free kick differential. Having Crumples Macrae and Hunter doing this game in game out provides them so much of the ball.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Based on what I saw best were:
Naish - lots of the ball
Mansell - some great defensive efforts
Pickett - Classy first half, quiet 2nd
Ryan - Dangerous in the air, needs to hit gym
Parker - lively, two bad goal misses
Stack- liked his game, was good at the end also
Dow - some good moments
Dan Rioli - A nothing game
Rioli Jnr - got much better in last half. Strikes me as a player who would be better in AFL surrounded by better players and more room
Garthwaite- competed really well up forward
Ralphsmith- some good run, ok
Miller - Servicable only
Martyn- ok, don’t think he’ll make it
RCD - pretty good in and under, needs to stick tackles

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Thought it was the AFL umpire. Maybe he got dropped

Maybe it was him. I assumed he had a brother but you could be right with that, though he was wearing 32 and I think the AFL one is 22 (but I might have misread it and he could have been wearing 22 today).

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Stats:

Disposals:

naish 25
rcd 23
martyn 20
parker 20
ross 19
mansell 15
hugo 17
stack 17
pickett 15
drioli 15

Goals;

garth 3
naish 2
rcd dow egg ryan & street 1

Inside 50 - Richmond 60 Willie 45

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
One of the reasons that the Dogs get such a high free kick differential. Having Crumples Macrae and Hunter doing this game in game out provides them so much of the ball.
It's actually very easy to draw a free for in the back. When you get tackled you just drop the knees. Very hard to umpire but players are right onto it.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
DRioli is so out of sorts at the moment. He runs to where the ball ain’t. He overruns it. He misses tackles. Not sure of his stats but I am struggling to remember any good kick, mark, tackle or hand pass he may have made.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Ryan did well but geez for a big man gave away by memory 5 frees and missed a couple of easy goals none other than 10 meters out on a slight angle in the last.
He hasn't rucked much though has he? And they haven't played for a while. I'm sure he would have been quite fatigued.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It's actually very easy to draw a free for in the back. When you get tackled you just drop the knees. Very hard to umpire but players are right onto it.

It is very easy, but what is this free designed to stop? As you say its just a free that players milk, its actually a free that serves very little purpose. The only thing it does, is risk the sling tackle more as players need to sling more so as not to fall into their back. If the AFL were actually wanting to protect the head from sling tackles then they should remove the in the back free IMO.

Feb 25, 2007
He hasn't rucked much though has he? And they haven't played for a while. I'm sure he would have been quite fatigued.

Not so much in the ruck more so in marking duels. Cumberland kicked a goal in the last but the ump blew the whistle as rryan infringed. Even in the last few mins Ryan marked on the wing but ump revered it as he infringed, But I rate him going to be a player.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Not so much in the ruck more so in marking duels. Cumberland kicked a goal in the last but the ump blew the whistle as rryan infringed. Even in the last few mins Ryan marked on the wing but ump revered it as he infringed, But I rate him going to be a player.
Yep that's what I mean. Rucking is a totally different proposition and if you don't normally ruck and haven't played for a while then this can affect other parts of your game, particularly when fatigue sets in.