Williamstown V Richmond (20/06/21) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Williamstown V Richmond (20/06/21)

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It is very easy, but what is this free designed to stop? As you say its just a free that players milk, its actually a free that serves very little purpose. The only thing it does, is risk the sling tackle more as players need to sling more so as not to fall into their back. If the AFL were actually wanting to protect the head from sling tackles then they should remove the in the back free IMO.
I think there are genuine in the back frees. This can also be very dangerous, I can't fathom a rule that allows free rein to plough into someone's back. But there is no doubt players drop the knees to draw a free. Can often tell but another rule that's very hard to umpire in the heat of the moment.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think there are genuine in the back frees. This can also be very dangerous, I can't fathom a rule that allows free rein to plough into someone's back. But there is no doubt players drop the knees to draw a free. Can often tell but another rule that's very hard to umpire in the heat of the moment.

Its as bad as the contact below the knees frees. In the extreme examples can cause injury but in most cases has no impact on the contest but provides a free against someone trying to play footy, and gives the free for the one that actually is looking for the contact.

Feb 25, 2007
Our 3 best id say;
3 - Naish
2 - Parker
1 - Stack

Collier Dawkins finds the ball as we know but handballs too much and doesn't put enough defensive pressure on when he doesn't have the ball.

Pickett started well but faded as the game went on, ended up with 15 disposals.
Will Martyn and Jack Ross also played well as did Mansell but some of his good work undone by giving away frees for undisciplined acts.

Garthwaite up forward with 3 goals did well.
Disappointing games from Biggy and Miller.

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Samson Ryan is a COMPETITOR.

Worked tirelessly in the ruck, presented as a forward and hates umpires as much as us (TBR excepted of course)

I like him.

Reactions: 15 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Not sold on Naish..gets easy ball but disposal varies and is not strong in the contest. Not afl level.
I thought Martyn was good in a losing midfield but lacks run and carry. Miles like.
Ross the most composed and was good off half back.
Stack is the one.but why cant he get fit? Has had enough time now.
MRJ way off Biggy way off.
Skills were ordinary and forward entries poor. Willy looked better coached and harder bodies who were well drilled.
Only afl standard players I saw were Stack Pickett Ross Martyn ..maybe Parker and Dow and RCD.
Rioli lost unless a free wheeling small forward kicking goals.
Mansell might surprise .

Last edited:

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
Naish got plenty of it, played above the level but when he goes to the AFL he's not quite up to the level so I'm a bit torn on his future.

I thought Martyn was one of our best today, composed and clean in the contest.

I still have a massive question mark on Miller and as a result our backline. He has all the physical attributes but never does much, lacks intensity and doesn't impose himself.

All up most guys played well without starring against a seasoned and very physical opposition.

We need to draft or trade for some developing tall defenders, the cupboard is bare.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Our backs were badly beaten in the air. Miller had no presence, either with a fist or as an intercept mark, and provides no run for someone who moves so well.

Biggie also provided very little but perhaps he shouldn't have played so soon after that knee scare.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Miller seemed to be losing out to players who were shorter than he is. That simply won't cut it at AFL level.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Good result against a quality team
BS. You can't recognise another rigged result? RFC are the anathema of the Umpiring Dept.

It was another game we should have won by 3/4 goals. Blown by some stupid actions - are we allowing ourselves to be easily sucked in by the opposition? - inept kicking, the lack of marking strength and useless forward entries along with dumb turnovers.

We often do little to help ourselves.

PS- Just got to watch this VFL game this evening having to work today. Very disappointing performance. Our chaos game has become a fart in a bottle.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Ryan looks okay but he’s not sticking marks in the last quarter.
He has ability, very agile and competitive and is game. But another hollow-chested beanpole. Not sure if he will ever make it at AFL level unless he can transform his body in the gym over the next couple of years. Has to stick those marks at this size. He would get knocked aside at the top level in his current shape.

Jesus McBean no.2?

(Trying to think. Only hollow-chested beanpole I've seen make it was Twiggy Dunne a long time back in the Pies VFL days. Might be more but cannot think of any).

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Vfl team could do with some big bodied mids to help the youngsters. Also a couple of KP vfl players that arent absolute spuds wouldnt hurt either
We had some and lost them for this year. Perhaps at least partly due to copping that heaviest of heavy $100k Covid fine for CCJ and Stack's kebabgate.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Umpire didn't like that we kicked a goal.

DS
Who knows? Just cannot figure out what some of these decisions are for. But I think it's the intention that is at work. Cost us this game.
Wonder what the final free kick count was?

Sorry, just saw. Another around -10 differential. Who said umps are inconsistent? Same both levels! Funny about that.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Just amazing. In a game where we are clearly the younger, smaller and lighter team. Yes, we gave away some bad, dumb ones but some calls against us are just inexplicable including the charge and dive forward at the end that was paid in the back to decide the game.

Luckily for us it was knocked back off the line. So we turned what should have been a clear win into a draw. Crap.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It's a young team, can't expect them to perform like a machine. 14 players 21 or under, against an opposition that were a couple of years older per player and had 8 blokes who've been on AFL lists.

Those reversed free kicks off the ball hurt; no doubt there was a bit going on and our blokes got sucked in. Thought Samson got into some good spots up forward but couldn't complete the deal. Put CJ or even Chol there and we win the match, but they deserved their rest.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Apart from some dropped marks late in the game, thought Samson was outstanding.
Played against a bigger body in the ruck and got absolutely crunched twice early in the game, reckon he would have been sore for 3 x qtrs.
Was great in the ruck with his tapwork and good with his smart handballing creating numerous clearances.
Remember this guy is used to playing 80% fwd when CCJ and Chol were playing VFL.
Was obviously cooked late in the game and dropped some marks he should have taken but overall he was great, definitely something to work with a high ceiling of potential.

Pickett was great and was consistent throughout.

Thought Will Martyn had a very good game as well, hard as nails and got plenty of it, RCD too.

Also thought McDonough was very good too, reckon he will be a rookie pick on an AFL list for next year.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Free kick stats are interesting.

On the Footy Live app I have, and according to everyone here, the free kicks were 31-22 Willy's way. But if you look here: AFL Site they are claiming 31-24.

Wonder why there is a difference?

DS