• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

Willie Rioli ASADA scandal

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I can’t think of any logical reason Willie or his legal could present that would explain his actions and reduce his ban from 4 years. In regards to his dehydration/frustration story, the testers will stay until the sample is produced. They can drink as much water, Gatorade or even beer to get the show going. Also, the ban he will get is based on WADA, the AFL doping tribunal has to follow their rules, if they deviate, WADA will take it to CAS. Willie is gone for 4

Reactions: 1 user

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I can’t think of any logical reason Willie or his legal could present that would explain his actions and reduce his ban from 4 years. In regards to his dehydration/frustration story, the testers will stay until the sample is produced. They can drink as much water, Gatorade or even beer to get the show going. Also, the ban he will get is based on WADA, the AFL doping tribunal has to follow their rules, if they deviate, WADA will take it to CAS. Willie is gone for 4
I hope common sense prevails and he gets a slap on the wrist. It was SUPER dumb, but his blood test showed nothing. It was a brain snap and no young player deserves a 4 year ban for that, let alone an indigenous kid trying to make something of himself.

Reactions: 4 users

Filthy Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 10, 2014
I hope common sense prevails and he gets a slap on the wrist. It was SUPER dumb, but his blood test showed nothing. It was a brain snap and no young player deserves a 4 year ban for that, let alone an indigenous kid trying to make something of himself.
Pardon the pun but watering down the system is long term not good governance. Every angle of testing needs to be upheld to the highest levels of protocol in order to protect the integrity of the practice of testing and to protect the sport.

That means zero tolerance.

No doubt its a shame for a 24 year old indigenous man to have his AFL career taken away, and I hope the right support mentally and with career options is provided to him by the AFL/West Coast.

Every time a 'mistake' is made we cant just brush it aside, surely that attitude only leads to more 'mistakes' as players become flippant with regarding to rules.

Reactions: 3 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Pardon the pun but watering down the system is long term not good governance. Every angle of testing needs to be upheld to the highest levels of protocol in order to protect the integrity of the practice of testing and to protect the sport.

That means zero tolerance.

No doubt its a shame for a 24 year old indigenous man to have his AFL career taken away, and I hope the right support mentally and with career options is provided to him by the AFL/West Coast.

Every time a 'mistake' is made we cant just brush it aside, surely that attitude only leads to more 'mistakes' as players become flippant with regarding to rules.
I'm not a fan of zero tolerance. We don't apply it in court for the simple reason that it's not fair. US prisons are full to the brim with people who have made minimal mistakes but paid the full price, because 'we can blur the lines'. Surely we're capable of more than that. **** ASADA and the WDA. This is Aussie Rules, not the ******* Tour de France or Olympic swimming, and it's Australia, where we used to abide by the concept of giving everyone a fair go. I'm not proposing to let him off the hook, but surely we can handle a punishment that serves as a deterrent while also letting this young man have another crack.

Reactions: 2 users

Ripplestick

Tiger Superstar
Jan 18, 2007
I hope common sense prevails and he gets a slap on the wrist. It was SUPER dumb, but his blood test showed nothing.
Re: his blood test, is this fact? Haven't heard ASADA reveal any such details and do players give blood samples as well as urine tests on the same day, I hadn't heard that either.

Tenacious

Tiger Champion
May 19, 2008
Accepting this latest explanation for a moment (spending 3-4 hours unsuccessfully trying to pee) - I wonder if he was able to use his phone during that time?
It obviously would have been a pretty boring wait and I’d like to think he might have got on the phone to a team mate for example or a coach or just someone who might have twigged that the kid was doing it tough.

But maybe the ASADA protocol is no outside communication?

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He clearly broke the rules and needs to be penalised. However, it does sound like there are mitigating factors.

I'd give him a penalty somewhere between a slap on the wrist and the full 4 years. Send a message but don't wreck his career. Maybe 1 year?

DS

TT33

GO TIGES!!!
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
All AFL players are educated about drug testing, they're walked through the process many times. It's not like they are thrown in at the deep end & left to fend for themselves. It's incumbent on the AFL to make sure that ALL players know what the process. is.

I find it very unlikely that Willie wouldn't know the process, he's surely been through it before. It's a fundamental part of being an AFL player these days.
Therefore he must accept the punishment that will be meted out to him, just as any other player who did the same thing would.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Surely we're capable of more than that. **** ASADA and the WDA. This is Aussie Rules, not the ******* Tour de France or Olympic swimming, and it's Australia, where we used to abide by the concept of giving everyone a fair go.
Athletes in Australia used to be extremely clean compared to many other sporting nations. We are also brutal at pointing the finger n squealing about other countries doping, yet every time an Aussie gets busted it's we're innocent, it was an accident or a mistake. But time and time again Aussie athletes are getting busted for doping, either elicit or performance enhancing.
I'm over the lot of them. Get busted with **** in the system or cheating the test, then cop whatever lumps come your way. 2 years, 4 years, lifetime ban whatever, get the **** out of sport n stop bleating.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Re: his blood test, is this fact? Haven't heard ASADA reveal any such details and do players give blood samples as well as urine tests on the same day, I hadn't heard that either.
Yes they generally do take blood as well.

On the blood test, it is my understanding that it would not be declared if his sample tested positive for illicit drugs anyway.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Athletes in Australia used to be extremely clean compared to many other sporting nations. We are also brutal at pointing the finger n squealing about other countries doping, yet every time an Aussie gets busted it's we're innocent, it was an accident or a mistake. But time and time again Aussie athletes are getting busted for doping, either elicit or performance enhancing.
I'm over the lot of them. Get busted with **** in the system or cheating the test, then cop whatever lumps come your way. 2 years, 4 years, lifetime ban whatever, get the **** out of sport n stop bleating.
We agree to disagree and I totally get where you're coming from, I guess I am just sympathetic to the pressures these young guys are under, and if a mistake has been made, would prefer the punishment fit the crime. A first-time misdemeanor (if that is what this is) doesn't deserve a life ban. If there's more to it, then sure, throw the book at him.

Reactions: 1 users

sausage_meat69

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 28, 2005
I'm not a fan of zero tolerance. We don't apply it in court for the simple reason that it's not fair. US prisons are full to the brim with people who have made minimal mistakes but paid the full price, because 'we can blur the lines'. Surely we're capable of more than that. **** ASADA and the WDA. This is Aussie Rules, not the ******* Tour de France or Olympic swimming, and it's Australia, where we used to abide by the concept of giving everyone a fair go. I'm not proposing to let him off the hook, but surely we can handle a punishment that serves as a deterrent while also letting this young man have another crack.
This would work in a perfect world. Unfortunately it’s not that’s why there’s zero tolerance, burden of proof and strands in a rope evidential proceedings when it comes to drugs in sports cases. Otherwise you’d never catch a cheat unless they had the needle sticking out of their arse. The bar needs to be set high especially within a global context and resources that go into cheating the system. Now the argument could be withdraw from asada/wada so the bar could be calibrated for a domestic comp but you’d lose the government funding and could you trust the afl to govern such a system?

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017 ! Premiers 2019 ! 2020 B2B? Go Tiges
Aug 27, 2003
RFC
Totally agree. I feel for Rioli but if they accept the "brain fade/frustration" or any other reason then might opens the door to others to get around the rules by setting a precedent.

My gut feel as they say, he will get 18 mths to 2 years.

Will be surprised if he gets the 4 years as heard somewhere it was based on the frequency of when the Olympics were held.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
This would work in a perfect world. Unfortunately it’s not that’s why there’s zero tolerance, burden of proof and strands in a rope evidential proceedings when it comes to drugs in sports cases. Otherwise you’d never catch a cheat unless they had the needle sticking out of their arse. The bar needs to be set high especially within a global context and resources that go into cheating the system. Now the argument could be withdraw from asada/wada so the bar could be calibrated for a domestic comp but you’d lose the government funding and could you trust the afl to govern such a system?
Plenty of domestic USA sports barely pay lip service to the doping codes. The AFL pranced around for years with their fancy self regulated drug rules n never caught anyone. Govt dragged Vlad Dimi n his mates kicking n screaming into the WADA / ASADA doping codes by threatening to cut off all funding if they refused.
Essendrugs scandal would have been a $ 10,000 club fine n half suspended for two years, plus players advised to be more careful next time if the AFL was still allowed to self administer.

123kid

Tiger Superstar
May 1, 2016
Goddard said he assumes Rioli thought the testing officer was an AFL one, not ASADA.

He said ASADA officers don’t follow you around. They wait at the bathroom and you continue training, then whenever you’re ready you go to them.

AFL officers do follow you around.

It’s possible Rioli thought it’s the other way around and kept training, unable to pee, knowing the officer is waiting for him indoors.

He gets anxious and eventually thinks maybe they can’t detect drugs in Gatorade, and it’s just a strike if they realise it’s not pee.

He grew up in a totally different cultural background, I think it’s fair to be lenient on him if the above is proven to be what happened due to verified blood samples that don’t detect anything.

Due to the timing of preseason, 18 months would just be a one season penalty.

Rob Williams

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
If somebody gets caught drink driving I rate it highly likely they do it often. If somebody gets caught drug sample tampering I think it highly likely they drug cheated.

I think people are obvious.

The Willie Rioli stories don't seem compelling to me. Particularly as they become more intricate.

Tampered with drug sample. Is that four years? Ok.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Don't reckon you can start second-guessing scenarios and giving people different penalty outcomes in these circumstances.
The rules are very clear for any infractions.
If ASADA and the relevant authorities start giving out differing penalties then it just opens the door to manipulation and the system becomes a farce.
All players and athletes knows the conditions, the rules and the penalties associated with drug testing. And if they don't, then more the fool them irrespective of their levels of naivety.
They are well-paid professionals who should be well across these matters.
Drug testing is an important element of their workplaces for which they remain responsible.

TT33

GO TIGES!!!
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Don't reckon you can start second-guessing scenarios and giving people different penalty outcomes in these circumstances.
The rules are very clear for any infractions.
If ASADA and the relevant authorities start giving out differing penalties then it just opens the door to manipulation and the system becomes a farce.
All players and athletes knows the conditions, the rules and the penalties associated with drug testing. And if they don't, then more the fool them irrespective of their levels of naivety.
They are well-paid professionals who should be well across these matters.
Drug testing is an important element of their workplaces for which they remain responsible.

Also, if the authorities start giving different penalties to different "ethnicities" it leaves the way open to accusations of racism.