'With Them Or Against Em Tigers No Longer Care!' | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

'With Them Or Against Em Tigers No Longer Care!'

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Hm, so someone in the media is egging Richmond fans on to embrace a "**** you" attitude towards everyone else? Is that correct?

Well I'm not falling for it. I love how Richmond understands people. When the media encourages us to revert back to an old-fashioned "old Richmond" attitude, all you can do is laugh.

Vaguely pejorative article, mentions of "tainted brand" etc. It's only "tainted" because of tabloid joiurnalism like yours, Jake. You created a fictitious monster, you *smile*.

The Stack and CJ kebab run was the club's most grievous sin in ages, and it'll be quickly forgotten.

Exactly, it clearly isn't an actual issue. Sneaky, manufactured narrative.

Reactions: 1 user

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
They are all against us.

Everyone thought it was cute we won as underdogs and not many begrudged us that after being sooo bad for sooo long.

No one rated us even the Crows who Josh Jenkins later recounted in late 2018 something akin to "they were glad we were dominating as it meant they (the Crows) got beaten by a top side or by a better side than they first thought hence their disdain and implosion they did not rate us one iota.

Then we lost the Prelim to the scum so all was good again until 2019...injuries came we were written off Rance Jack, Nank, Cotchin, the injuries mounted until we timed our resurgency and run perfectly (with the assistance of 200 straight home games or summit like that) and belted the sheizen out of everyone especially GWS in the GF ruining the AFL's wet dream of a Giants Flag.

Then Covid 20 we were disinterested apathetic nigh on lazy in the opening games losing and drawing winnable games then injuries.
Tigers not interested dont want to do hub life players wont go, Tigers being precious ...dont want to leave the MCG blah blah blah.

Written off again then clawed our way back.

The death riders were happy we were looking done.

Then we power into top 4 to the chagrin of the haters.

Bears get us weakened and a bit cocky and beat us ..............death riders rejoice.

We win over the Saints (ruin another feel good story)we are still alive they are annoyed again.

They will be looking forward to the TIgers going down next Friday Night make no mistake.

What a way to nail down the 3rd Cup beating the Kochies at home then back to the Gabba to beat up on the Bears in the GF

All done away from the MCG ..........they'd have nothing to throw at us.

What a story what a way to head toward the twighlight of our latest and greatest era.

Great post Craig but disagree with the “twighlight” bit!!!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
There is some truth in the article but this version of RFC is very different to the 1970s version. At that time we were genuinely ruthless both on the field and off it. With people like Richmond and Wilson running the club it was really “we are Richmond and $&@ the rest”. We also ate our own, we pushed out Tommy, we got rid of Billy Barrott who was a fan idol.
This version is built on strength of inclusion, the team is built on development and coaching. It’s a club that has embraced is social awareness. In many ways it is the antithesis of the 1970s.
To me there is much less to hate about us now but we still seem to have climbed the close to the summit of the leagues most hated. I hear our supporters are arrogant and obnoxious but that tag can be given to supporters of most successful teams, and besides we have copped lots over the years, more than most.
Supporters are amazing beasts. You can read all over social media now how we are the AFL's love child yet in here we have a massive thread about how we get nothing!
One thing I do agree with is that we don’t give a fig. I don’t care if we are liked or not and it’s fine to be hated. What has annoyed me this year is that we seem to be judged on a different set of criteria to other clubs. Apart from kebabgate the rest has been a beat up.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
There is some truth in the article but this version of RFC is very different to the 1970s version. At that time we were genuinely ruthless both on the field and off it. With people like Richmond and Wilson running they club it was really “we are Richmond and $&@ the rest”. We also ate our own, we pushed out Tommy, we got rid of Billy Barrott who was a fan idol.
This version is built on strength of inclusion, the team is built on development and coaching. It’s a club that has embraced is social awareness. In many ways it is the antithesis of the 1970s.
To me there is much less to hate about us now but we still seem to have climbed the close to the summit of the leagues most hated. I hear our supporters are arrogant and obnoxious but that tag can be given to supporters of most successful teams, and besides we have copped lots over the years, more than most.
Supporters are amazing beasts. You can read all over social media now how we are the AFLs love child yet in here we have a massive thread about how we get nothing!
One thing I do agree with is that we don’t give a fig. I don’t care if we are liked or not and it’s fine to be hated. What has annoyed me this year is that we seem to be judged on a different set of criteria to other clubs. Apart from kebabgate the rest has been a beat up.

Good post, Sin
Non-Richmond fans were okay about Tigers winning 2017 after such a drought of success. But now that RFC is a successful, winning club (on and off the field) it seems that the haters are starting to re-emerge.
Going B2B will only heighten that level of antipathy towards Richmond, but we Tiger supporters will find it no problem to live with that.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
With the whole world against us maybe we should all stop blowing a gasket and just say we don't give a s#*#! :)

Ok Jake.

We have peggy, Benny, dimma and cotch as the face of the club. All are widely respected, respectful and have made a profound positive contribution to the afl culture and brand over the last five years.

I think the article is more an indirect statement about the wider standards and current mindset of people in the AFL "industry". I think covid has impacted all of our mental health, and in the afl it is very evident. Compare the above four characters to AFL media names like Gary Lyon, Wayne Carey, Robbo, McClure, Cornes, etc. and it is pretty clear where the issue lies. Even plastic Gil is no comparison to Peggy or Gale.

I think it has no doubt negatively impacted the club this year, like all clubs with rumours abound everywhere. I feel for someone like cotchin and his family and what they have gone through. Cotch is an introverted and private guy, and I can't imagine the boarding school environment has been good for him.

I think this article belongs in the waste basket, and we all move on.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Great article.

Sums the historical comparison and the current situation pretty well. Gets the Lynch situation totally right - nothing worth suspension, plenty that makes him a vaudeville villain on social media. It's actually pretty complimentary of our team and our game if you read it carefully. And yes, we should stop caring if people hate us or not.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Great article.

Sums the historical comparison and the current situation pretty well. Gets the Lynch situation totally right - nothing worth suspension, plenty that makes him a vaudeville villain on social media. It's actually pretty complimentary of our team and our game if you read it carefully. And yes, we should stop caring if people hate us or not.
And the game for some reason needs to have that moustache twirling villain. Last year it was Toby Greene.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
And the game for some reason needs to have that moustache twirling villain. Last year it was Toby Greene.

Yep, and to be honest people love the drama. Witness the pile-ons when a player misbehaves, whether it's one of ours or someone else.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Don't they build you up as a villian and try to break you. You go off the rails or suffer a bad patch due to the constant bullying.
Then it dies down, you get back up and start all over again but this time the media love you for it. They love your flaws and praise you as a born again good guy with a edge.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
And yes, we should stop caring if people hate us or not.
*smile* that when the players are far from home and playing in front of hostile audiences and can't hear our support. It's nothing more than an ongoing campaign to bring us down.

Other great teams never copped this *smile*.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Where was all the outrage last week when Hawkins got off for elbowing Rockliff to the face (yes the face not the shoulder) with some force. It was the 2nd time he'd got off elbowing a player in the head this year after getting off the Luke Ryan charge earlier this year. This guy is a serial sniper but never referred to in that way.

I don't remember seeing much about him last week. Lynch barely touches Howard in a stupid incident but hardly dangerous, and the AFL world loses its *smile*.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
*smile* that when the players are far from home and playing in front of hostile audiences and can't hear our support. It's nothing more than an ongoing campaign to bring us down.

Strange, I remember people banging on here for years how great we were in the 70s and how hated and feared we were, and how great it would be to be hated again. Be careful what you wish for.

Besides that if you think complaining incessantly on PRE about anything changes an iota of what happens anywhere else, well...

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Social media n instant communication has raised the *smile* level by a 1000% but have no doubt we were hated back in the late 60s / 70s when we were dominant. Tiger fans have somehow always reveled in the fact that we were meaner n nastier than everyone else. Us old school fans hated, loathed n detested the faux sympathy of our lost years in the wilderness. Used to be in the good old days that clubs along with the media support n understanding that young men could be very foolish at times would avoid the public crucifixion of players. Now it's just open slather if a player farts at an inappropriate time.
More than happy that our players hover around the edge of fearsome hard n nasty footy ( well at least as close as we can get in the age of sanitation ). The rest can bleat as much as they like. The more the media screams click bait outrage over nothing the bigger our public profile.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Strange, I remember people banging on here for years how great we were in the 70s and how hated and feared we were, and how great it would be to be hated again. Be careful what you wish for.

Besides that if you think complaining incessantly on PRE about anything changes an iota of what happens anywhere else, well...
I dunno if it’s so much the hate that annoys me, but more the complete and utter lack of respect from many quarters for the teams ability and achievements.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I dunno if it’s so much the hate that annoys me, but more the complete and utter lack of respect from many quarters for the teams ability and achievements.

Social media I see a lack of respect combined with grudging acknowledgment. In the "professional" media world there is plenty of respect but it gets boring talking about how good we are so of course they jump on any signs of weakness, or any scandal.

Personally I don't care who respects me or not, I have enough self-worth to know my own value. Since we've been for the last four years, I find getting upset over what other people say about is not worth my emotional energy. Except on this site of course, but I'm just trying to help you all out :D

• Haha

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
There is some truth in the article but this version of RFC is very different to the 1970s version. At that time we were genuinely ruthless both on the field and off it. With people like Richmond and Wilson running the club it was really “we are Richmond and $&@ the rest”. We also ate our own, we pushed out Tommy, we got rid of Billy Barrott who was a fan idol.
Supporters are amazing beasts. You can read all over social media now how we are the AFL's love child yet in here we have a massive thread about how we get nothing!
Great post.