Woke politics discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Woke politics discussion

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Go woke, go broke?
WOKE: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

Dont get sucked in by the bigots and racists from the right:

Reactions: 5 users

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
WOKE: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)
That’s a rather disingenuous definition of woke, even if it’s in a dictionary. That’s more a definition of “well-informed”. No one’s going to criticise you for being that.

When people say ”woke”, they mean something closer to “politically correct” - more concerned about whether a view is fashionable than factual (tho’ of course it could be both).

Reactions: 1 user

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
That’s a rather disingenuous definition of woke, even if it’s in a dictionary. That’s more a definition of “well-informed”. No one’s going to criticise you for being that.

When people say ”woke”, they mean something closer to “politically correct” - more concerned about whether a view is fashionable than factual (tho’ of course it could be both).
That's not what it originally meant. It's only what it means after the right wing have appropriated it.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Did you read the guardian article? The right has misappropriated the term "woke" as a way of disempowering those fighting for racial equality.
and every time someone misuses the term they are contributing to that disempowerment.

Reactions: 2 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007

Perhaps some may reflect on their use of the word ‘Woke’ , when you and others reflect on loosely throwing around the words ‘racist’ and ‘bigot’ ? - racist and bigot being far more divisive and aggressive terms than Woke

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
Did you read the guardian article? The right has misappropriated the term "woke" as a way of disempowering those fighting for racial equality.
and every time someone misuses the term they are contributing to that disempowerment.
Think the horse has bolted long ago. “Go woke, go broke” doesn’t mean “Be well-informed….” If you used “woke” as per the dictionary definition - and few people do - you’d end up talking at cross-purposes, and confuse people. I’ve never come across it meaning “well-informed”; it’s always meant PC to me. I think people smugly applied it to themselves early on, and inevitably had the p1ss taken out of them.

I’m sure there are better examples, but nowadays if you call someone a “campaigner” in a footy context, it has a particular meaning. No point fighting for the original meaning. Just use another word. “Liberal” and “barrack” similarly.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Perhaps some may reflect on their use of the word ‘Woke’ , when you and others reflect on loosely throwing around the words ‘racist’ and ‘bigot’ ? - racist and bigot being far more divisive and aggressive terms than Woke
could you share where I have used ‘racist’ and ‘bigot’ loosely?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Think the horse has bolted long ago. “Go woke, go broke” doesn’t mean “Be well-informed….” If you used “woke” as per the dictionary definition - and few people do - you’d end up talking at cross-purposes, and confuse people. I’ve never come across it meaning “well-informed”; it’s always meant PC to me. I think people smugly applied it to themselves early on, and inevitably had the p1ss taken out of them.

I’m sure there are better examples, but nowadays if you call someone a “campaigner” in a footy context, it has a particular meaning. No point fighting for the original meaning. Just use another word. “Liberal” and “barrack” similarly.
disagree. perpetuating the misuse of the term "woke" just perpetuates the disempowerment intended.
to think the misappropriation of the term was about taking the *smile* is to really minimise the violence and prejudice minorities have faced (and continue to face).

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Whenever I hear people say 'PC gone mad' or more recently deriding wokeness, I hear people wanting to go back to the good old days when racism, homophobia and sexism were all socially acceptable.

Reactions: 5 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Perhaps some may reflect on their use of the word ‘Woke’ , when you and others reflect on loosely throwing around the words ‘racist’ and ‘bigot’ ? - racist and bigot being far more divisive and aggressive terms t

Here? From what you have written, my assumption is that you are suggesting the Woke term has been weaponised and used by Racists and Bigots of the right? So not just anyone of the right, but the racists and bigots?
If I have that assertion wrong, I apologise. But I’m not reading the article either way!

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
Whenever I hear people say 'PC gone mad' or more recently deriding wokeness, I hear people wanting to go back to the good old days when racism, homophobia and sexism were all socially acceptable.
Then I think you’ve been drinking the Culture Wars Kool Aid again…never a good idea to presume the worst intentions of people based on pure guesswork and your own biases. Straw man territory. (I’ve never found any of those things acceptable, BTW.)

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Here? From what you have written, my assumption is that you are suggesting the Woke term has been weaponised and used by Racists and Bigots of the right? So not just anyone of the right, but the racists and bigots?
If I have that assertion wrong, I apologise. But I’m not reading the article either way!
yes it was racists and bigots from the 'right' who 'weaponised' the term. I am not saying all "right wingers" are racists and bigots, and not even that all racists and bigots are "right wingers", but in this case the use of the term "woke" was misappropriated by "racists and bigots" who were from the "right".
I am not suggesting anyone who continues to use the term in appropriately is a "right winger" or racist or bigot, but they are, even if unintentionally, supporting the aim of them.

anyway, that is probably enough on that, if posters are truly interested in supporting racial equality, and dont want to assist perpetuating racism, there are probably better places they can educate themselves than my ramblings!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
A pretty innocuous post I wrote has been deleted. It honestly doesn't worry me, its a footy forum after all, but you either have the discussion or you don't. Why have the thread?

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I hate tribalism full stop. As soon as you categorise people into groups and whether that be left, right, man woman etc you lose any sort of credibility.

People have to be judged on their own actions and held to account. Hate the laziness of those who use group identity and generalized prejudice.

As for the woke term, this is my other issue with society today. Terms that are made up and have their meaning change depending on who uses them or whatever hashtag is trending!

Are we that far gone as a civilised society that we don't even have a common understanding of decency, being fair and reasonable and treating others how you want to be treated? I think I know the answer to that one Chief...

My final useless addition is I can't stand those who spruik pseudo social science without any credentials. Terms being adopted that have not been tested in social or psychological science are worthless. Making things up as you go doesn't help anyone.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
When you hear people complaining about the AFL's rules/laws of the game now being too "woke", you know the word has lost all it's meaning and anyone still using it just loses all credibility.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
My use of the word 'woke' in this instance is because I'm very concerned that the game is becoming over sanitised & losing many of the grittier aspects of what made the men's game great. Those things continue to be erroded & it's not improving the sport.

As for any political continuations, that was not my intention. 'Woke' is just a slang word for overt correctness.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
My use of the word 'woke' in this instance is because I'm very concerned that the game is becoming over sanitised & losing many of the grittier aspects of what made the men's game great. Those things continue to be erroded & it's not improving the sport.

As for any political continuations, that was not my intention. 'Woke' is just a slang word for overt correctness.
Woke is used by many in many different ways, with all but the original meaning being used to mean something derogatory. Most users of woke today will interchange it for Left without thinking.

It's a shame because the original meaning of woke makes it a very positive word. Murdoch's minions have worked hard to change it into something negative.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

i know it wasnt your intention, but i reckon words matter.