World Cup 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2018

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Panthera Tigris said:
What do you mean host cities (plural)?

There is only ONE city in Qatar (about the size of Perth WA). So we have four stadiums in Doha (a city of only 2mil). Then the rest of the tournament seems that it will consist of stadiums built in the middle of the dessert in some random spots perhaps inhabited by nomadic Bedouin villages from time to time.

A couple of additional points too. There are only 8 host stadiums, when FIFA has normally stated that a prospective host needs at least 10 stadia (preferably in at least 8 host cities). This was under a 32 team format, let alone 46! And as for the change in dates. FIFA (and it's Confederations) have continuously stated to aspiring hosts, that a Jun-Jul-Aug window is non-negotiable. Yet they've now buckled and allowed for a change.

This (Qatar) was always an outrageously absurd hosting proposal, that never should have even made the shortlist. Shows, if you grease the right palms (and with enough brown paper bags) anything is possible, no matter how comically ridiculous.

*smile*ing joke! I have zero desire to attend such a flawed tournament layout. I'm happy to wait until 2026 for a proper host.

Admittedly I did use the term "host cities" loosely. I don't disagree with anything you said. Add the human rights issue to that. but it is what it is. no one talked about these issues re Russia and they were there.