World Cup 2022 official thread (incl. remaining Qualifiers!) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2022 official thread (incl. remaining Qualifiers!)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What cracker of a goal by Hrustic, he drilled it. Aust 2 - UAE 1 after 85 minutes.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Better last 1/4 hr resulting in Hrustic scoring from the edge of the penalty box after concerted pressure.

Just 5-8 minutes, including stoppage time, to hold out.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
2-1. Better 2nd half & got the result. Take it & run & hope we improve in 6 days against better opposition.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We are painfully slow and conservative, Mooy is a great passer but too often takes the sideways option.. take a risk Aaron. Rogic is more attacking. Against a team like UAE I'd also bang more high balls and crosses in, they were not coping that well with those.

Having said that we did apply the pressure in the last 20 minutes. Great game by Boyle.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
1st half so poor, it was as if the plan was to bore the UAE to sleep. Certainly that way for those watching.

Mooy - agree, needs to 'take the game on' more but don't think he was capable of doing this due to lack of fitness. Hope he's better for this outing.

We were exposed wide 1st half, particularly down the right. Hard to see Atkinson keep his place. What are the options ?

Hopefully Mabil & McLaren get more action v Peru as we need goals

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
A win is a win. Lets see what we can do against Peru but I struggle to see us winning a single game in the WC if we qualify.

Between FA's bastardised handling of the youth talent pipelines and Arnolds complete ineptitude, this will be a WC campaign that we compare all future bad ones for the title of "Worst Ever".

Has any news as to why Rogic pulled out leaked?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Didn’t watch it but from the write ups - apart from the last 20 mins we were pretty putrid. I have lost interest in the Socceroos when we gave up a commanding position in the qualifiers to let teams like Japan back in with some unprofessional performances - Arnold isn’t a good modern day coach.

This is what he was quoted as saying after the game - “I have been driving into the boys the Aussie DNA and that is kick, fight, scratch and do whatever you got to do to win the game, and however we win it, who cares, just win it.”

That says it all really and why if we make the WC, it will be embarrassing. Soccer deserves more and I neither subscribe to or am inspired by the Aussie DNA he refers to.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
good on them for the win

but Arnold is a throwback - he'd struggle to coach a rural 3rds team

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
We are painfully slow and conservative, Mooy is a great passer but too often takes the sideways option.. take a risk Aaron. Rogic is more attacking. Against a team like UAE I'd also bang more high balls and crosses in, they were not coping that well with those.

Having said that we did apply the pressure in the last 20 minutes. Great game by Boyle.

I’m going in the opposite direction here by giving Arnold some credit.

I think the conservative slow play through Mooy was deliberate and designed to frustrate them and to avoid conceding early. Then in the second half, things opened up a bit and we saw some good, positive football by Boyle, Hrustic and (to a lesser extent) Goodwin.

We especially dominated in the last 20 minutes, which is a big positive after conceding a lot of late goals in the earlier stages of qualifying.

On the negative, I thought Wright (who I have never rated) and Atkinson were poor. Hopefully Sainsbury is right to play in 6 days and Karacic replaces Atkinson.

For Peru, I reckon more of the same, although I would play 2 DM’s to ensure we have extra defensive cover. Either Kenny Dougall or Gianni Stensness should start along with Sainsbury and Karacic.

If Peru was played over 2 home and away legs, I reckon we would get spanked. But in a one-off game with so much at stake, we can win… Or at least hold them out for penalties.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I’m going in the opposite direction here by giving Arnold some credit.

I think the conservative slow play through Mooy was deliberate and designed to frustrate them and to avoid conceding early. Then in the second half, things opened up a bit and we saw some good, positive football by Boyle, Hrustic and (to a lesser extent) Goodwin.

We especially dominated in the last 20 minutes, which is a big positive after conceding a lot of late goals in the earlier stages of qualifying.

On the negative, I thought Wright (who I have never rated) and Atkinson were poor. Hopefully Sainsbury is right to play in 6 days and Karacic replaces Atkinson.

For Peru, I reckon more of the same, although I would play 2 DM’s to ensure we have extra defensive cover. Either Kenny Dougall or Gianni Stensness should start along with Sainsbury and Karacic.

If Peru was played over 2 home and away legs, I reckon we would get spanked. But in a one-off game with so much at stake, we can win… Or at least hold them out for penalties.

Yeah, I reckon we've got a good chance - we've played a lot in Qatar and Peru haven't at least.

Wright and Atkinson looked so slow against that left winger, that guy was fast and they could have scored twice from his moves. TBF he was quick.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Yep. Sometimes reactive when looking at Arnold's expressions. Some easily missed chances in the 2nd half luckily Hrustic's deflection went through. One chance of us winning against Peru is that it's on neutral ground.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Got up to watch the game.
Much better towards the end as others stated.
Shocking miss by Goodwin.
He wouldn't have missed if he was wearing Red and playing against Dark Blue.
Thunderbolt strike by Hrustic.
I was expecting to see Defender's arm in the back of the net next to the ball.
Had some force behind it.
Cracking Goal.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Got up to watch the game.
Much better towards the end as others stated.
Thunderbolt strike by Hrustic.
I was expecting to see Defender's arm in the back of the net next to the ball.
Had some force behind it.
Cracking Goal.
Very shocking miss.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

100%. he would have hit the back of the net 9 times out of 10 in an Adelaide United shirt. That’s what pressure does to you.

But still, I would start him on the LW ahead of Leckie and Mabil atm as he’s showing better form.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

So Wales qualified for the world cup for the first time since the 1950s. We all know the singing prowess of their rugby crowds. Looks like their football fans, not to be outdone are bringing their lungs to the world cup.

The performer (who wrote the song back in the 1970s) and some of the older members of the crowd are brought to tears. Keeping the Welsh language alive.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

So Wales qualified for the world cup for the first time since the 1950s. We all know the singing prowess of their rugby crowds. Looks like their football fans, not to be outdone are bringing their lungs to the world cup.

The performer (who wrote the song back in the 1970s) and some of the older members of the crowd are brought to tears. Keeping the Welsh language alive.

couldn't understand a word they were saying

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
couldn't understand a word they were saying
The power of music hey Angry? One doesn’t need to understand the exact words. It has the ability to portray a message or feeling so beautiful or passionate it transcends words.

It's interesting hearing Welsh spoken. You can understand where the intonation comes from, as to how Welsh people speak English. Even Welsh people who speak no Welsh at all, speak English in that way.

I mean, obviously in the UK, there is no such thing as a "British accent." Even really no such thing as an "English accent". It's so varied from region to region. Welsh accent is just one of the varied regional accents.

But what is interesting. Before the Anglo-Saxons, Jutes, Vikings. Romans and Normans arrived in the British isles via invasion, raids and/or settlement. What we (us with British heritage) know now is that our ancestors were all speaking languages that were close cousins of Welsh (and Cornish, that still survives, just). The current school of thought is that Welsh and Cornish are the last surviving remnants of the languages spoken by the pre-Roman and Germanic inhabitants of the island now known as Britain. So even if one doesn’t identify as having Welsh roots, in a roundabout way there is still a personal interest in preserving these last living remnants of ancient Britain. As it is part of all of us before our Brythonic ancestral lineage crossed with people particularly of Germanic origin.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The power of music hey Angry? One doesn’t need to understand the exact words. It has the ability to portray a message or feeling so beautiful or passionate it transcends words.

It's interesting hearing Welsh spoken. You can understand where the intonation comes from, as to how Welsh people speak English. Even Welsh people who speak no Welsh at all, speak English in that way.

I mean, obviously in the UK, there is no such thing as a "British accent." Even really no such thing as an "English accent". It's so varied from region to region. Welsh accent is just one of the varied regional accents.

But what is interesting. Before the Anglo-Saxons, Jutes, Vikings. Romans and Normans arrived in the British isles via invasion, raids and/or settlement. What we (us with British heritage) know now is that our ancestors were all speaking languages that were close cousins of Welsh (and Cornish, that still survives, just). The current school of thought is that Welsh and Cornish are the last surviving remnants of the languages spoken by the original inhabitants of the island now known as Britain. So even if one doesn’t identify as having Welsh roots, in a roundabout way there is still a personal interest in preserving these last living remnants of indigenous Britain. As it is part of all of us before our indigenous Britton ancestral lineage crossed with people of Germanic origin.

Jeepers, a small joke and I get an essay in return..

Welsh is beautiful, spent some time on the England Wales border and you could often hear Welsh spoken in the village where we shopped.

Still couldn't understand a bleedin' word though

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Jeepers, a small joke and I get an essay in return..

Welsh is beautiful, spent some time on the England Wales border and you could often hear Welsh spoken in the village where we shopped.

Still couldn't understand a bleedin' word though
Know what you mean Angry. Beautiful language with all the sing song intonation that Welsh people have speaking English.

Think I read something like French takes a native English speaker on average about 500 learning hours to reach competent fluency (German something similar - perhaps slightly more). Welsh is more like 1500 hours!

And when you think about it. Most native English speakers can make out a few words here and there of what a French or German speaker might be talking about, due to common roots. But Welsh, as you say, couldn’t make out a bloody thing!

PS….sorry for the Essay. Guess what were my nerd subjects at school? :)

Last edited: