World Cup 2022 official thread (incl. remaining Qualifiers!) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

World Cup 2022 official thread (incl. remaining Qualifiers!)

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Thats the exact reason why the St Georges Park facility was developed.

They previously has a facility called Lilleshall in Shropshire, that essentially was made redundant by clubs academies, but they still wanted to develop a proper pathway to continue to help develop from an England perspective also.

I think Australia are 20 years behind England with this.
Hence, like I say. In order to do it and get more bang for our buck (as you suggested in your original post, needs to be done within the context of less resources), rather than reinventing the wheel and duplication of infrastructure. Why not reestablish it at the AIS. A lot of the infrastructure is already there. A few extra pieces like an indoor practice pitch could be added and it’s good to go. And the campus sits as a virtual ghost town much of the time. It’s so under-utilised these days. Make use of what we already have.

People *smile* and winge…..”but no one wants to live in Canberra.” Pffft…first world sooking. And given the quirks of our country, if such a football facility was based in one State, the rest of the A-League clubs and state bodies will *smile* and winge. Canberra is neutral ground, no A-League team of it’s own, with a facility that’s nearly good to go.

In the articles I was reading, past scholars of the programme (who went on to solid European careers) were actually very glowing of the development they received in their time at the AIS. Some suggested it was among the best coaching they received through their entire career. Equal to what they received at European clubs.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, did a bit of reading on the way home about the demise of the AIS programme. The articles focussed on how as the A-League teams have established academies of their own, the AIS programme is seen by the powers that be as redundant. Might be true, although could also be a bit of self interest (protecting their own patch) from the A-League teams.

This is where the government funding comes into the debate. There really isn’t any. At least not at the level of what it should be when you compare participation rates.

Sure, A-League clubs do have their own academies. But do you know how hard it is to find sites for academies? Don’t even get me started on the Melbourne Victory’s proposed Academy at Footscray Park that got dumped by the Maribyrnong due to protests from ignorant and hostile NIMBYS.

Then comes the debate over how much funding privately owned sports clubs spend to develop kids v government funding to help improve Australia’s sporting performances on the world stage. I’m sure with the Brisbane Olympics coming, obscure sports will receive squillions extra funding and other sports that have been screwed over in the past will continue to get screwed over.

Anyway, the first pic below was data released in 2021 from Queensland. Which is pretty much uniform across the country.

TODAY.jpg

The second pic below was 2018 data in the leadup to the last VIC state election. Please note that these figures do not include the almost $650 million being spent on extending the GF at the MCG til 2057, and upgrades to Kardinia Park and Marvel Stadium (Marvel is now a privately owned stadium as we all know).

TODAY1.jpg

Do you know how angry I will be if the state government gives the green light to an unnecessary rebuild of the MCG Warne Stand 30 years after the last rebuild at a cost of a billion dollars just to win a *smile* measuring contest with other states?

On another note, the Victorian government on both sides of politics do not make any effort to get Socceroos and Matildas games to Melbourne. The Socceroos have played in Melbourne once since 2017. The Matildas have not played here since 2019 and I cannot tell you the last time they played here prior to that. Both have played numerous times in NSW (I would estimate 75% of games over the past 4 years).

Did you know that Melbourne doesn’t even get a quarter final in the women’s world cup next year? We claim to be the sporting capital of the world, but we will not be hosting a quarter final, semi-final or the final. Football Australia didn’t bother trying to snag the MCG because they knew the reaction they would receive from the AFL. And the state government didn’t even bid for games. But Queensland were happy to offer Suncorp Stadium in the middle of the NRL season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
This is where the government funding comes into the debate. There really isn’t any. At least not at the level of what it should be when you compare participation rates.

Sure, A-League clubs do have their own academies. But do you know how hard it is to find sites for academies? Don’t even get me started on the Melbourne Victory’s proposed Academy at Footscray Park that got dumped by the Maribyrnong due to protests from ignorant and hostile NIMBYS.

Then comes the debate over how much funding privately owned sports clubs spend to develop kids v government funding to help improve Australia’s sporting performances on the world stage. I’m sure with the Brisbane Olympics coming, obscure sports will receive squillions extra funding and other sports that have been screwed over in the past will continue to get screwed over.

Anyway, the first pic below was data released in 2021 from Queensland. Which is pretty much uniform across the country.

View attachment 15702

The second pic below was 2018 data in the leadup to the last VIC state election. Please note that these figures do not include the almost $650 million being spent on extending the GF at the MCG til 2057, and upgrades to Kardinia Park and Marvel Stadium (Marvel is now a privately owned stadium as we all know).

View attachment 15703

Do you know how angry I will be if the state government gives the green light to an unnecessary rebuild of the MCG Warne Stand 30 years after the last rebuild at a cost of a billion dollars just to win a *smile* measuring contest with other states?

On another note, the Victorian government on both sides of politics do not make any effort to get Socceroos and Matildas games to Melbourne. The Socceroos have played in Melbourne once since 2017. The Matildas have not played here since 2019 and I cannot tell you the last time they played here prior to that. Both have played numerous times in NSW (I would estimate 75% of games over the past 4 years).

Did you know that Melbourne doesn’t even get a quarter final in the women’s world cup next year? We claim to be the sporting capital of the world, but we will not be hosting a quarter final, semi-final or the final. Football Australia didn’t bother trying to snag the MCG because they knew the reaction they would receive from the AFL. And the state government didn’t even bid for games. But Queensland were happy to offer Suncorp Stadium in the middle of the NRL season.
Whilst the governments attitude towards Football probably does leave a lot to be desired, Victoria is in the unfortunate position of having ovals which do not suit the rectangular pitch.
the MCG is 40mts longer and 50mtrs wider than Suncorp, as an example, which really does detract from the viewing. AAMI park is much better but isnt big enough for a final.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Whilst the governments attitude towards Football probably does leave a lot to be desired, Victoria is in the unfortunate position of having ovals which do not suit the rectangular pitch.
the MCG is 40mts longer and 50mtrs wider than Suncorp, as an example, which really does detract from the viewing. AAMI park is much better but isnt big enough for a final.

No doubt the NSW Govt bids for more games because they have the infrastructure in place to host them and need these stadiums to be used to justify the expense of upgrading them. For example, the Matildas are hosting a game in September as part of the opening of the rebuilt Sydney Football stadium.

But to me, the solution is more infrastructure for football in Melbourne and regional areas. We are getting a new stadium in Tarneit (privately built and owned). We might be getting a new stadium in Dandenong (I’m sure Melbourne City will commit to it in the coming years). But these are boutique stadiums built for the A-League.

AAMI Park is the home of Football in Melbourne. 30,000 is big enough for the A-League. but if you wanna attract big events, 30,000 is too small. If we were to host the men’s world cup one day, AAMI Park will need to hold at least 40,000. I don't think we can rely on the MCG being available. and to be honest, nor should we. Its not a Football Stadium.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
No doubt the NSW Govt bids for more games because they have the infrastructure in place to host them and need these stadiums to be used to justify the expense of upgrading them. For example, the Matildas are hosting a game in September as part of the opening of the rebuilt Sydney Football stadium.

But to me, the solution is more infrastructure for football in Melbourne and regional areas. We are getting a new stadium in Tarneit (privately built and owned). We might be getting a new stadium in Dandenong (I’m sure Melbourne City will commit to it in the coming years). But these are boutique stadiums built for the A-League.

AAMI Park is the home of Football in Melbourne. 30,000 is big enough for the A-League. but if you wanna attract big events, 30,000 is too small. If we were to host the men’s world cup one day, AAMI Park will need to hold at least 40,000. I don't think we can rely on the MCG being available. and to be honest, nor should we. Its not a Football Stadium.
i dont disagree, but unfortunately they arent going to spend $$$$ increasing AAMI to 40k in case we host the Men's World Cup at some point in the future. and at present even if Victoria got serious about supporting Football, there would only be a couple of games a year where that increase in capacity is needed.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Interestingly, the Welsh FA used to play their internationals at the Millennium Stadium, with it's 74k capacity. Decided it was too big (plus perhaps some political things going on between the Welsh FA and the Welsh RU who own Millennium through a subsidiary) and the 32k Cardiff City Stadium is preferable for The Welsh national side playing internationals - even though they could sell it twice over for their bigger occasions. Plus some also at Swansea's Liberty Stadium. So outside of actual tournaments (like you point out, with a world cup), no reason Melbourne shouldn't have it's fair share of internationals, even with AAMI being a 30k seat venue.

On another note Ian, have you seen pictures of the little boutique stadium Redcliffe Dolphins are going to play in, upon entering the NRL? Nice model for the A-League to follow. It's capacity is 11,500. Although I note it's essentially only three sided, with the Dolphins Leagues Club taking up one whole end. A four sided version would have capacity around the 15k mark or just over.

Last edited:

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Costa Rica scored early in the game - Kiwi’s have a goal overturned by the video referee - frustration all round for the kiwis - pity as it would have been good if they had made it

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Tough tough group that South American One.

There always seems to be a big country finding its way into play offs not surprisingly with so many playig off for so few spots.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
They're out to get him....

I've gotta say that's some awesome shithousery by Redders there. The South Americans are canny sneaky buggers themselves, there'd have to be some grudging respect for that over there.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I've gotta say that's some awesome shithousery by Redders there. The South Americans are canny sneaky buggers themselves, there'd have to be some grudging respect for that over there.
Bit strange his teammates or coaches didn't notice.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Bit strange his teammates or coaches didn't notice.
I guess the water-bottles were close together so hard to tell. Also teammates have to stand behind the halfway line, only the keepers and the player taking the shot are allowed in that part of the pitch.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I guess the water-bottles were close together so hard to tell. Also teammates have to stand behind the halfway line, only the keepers and the player taking the shot are allowed in that part of the pitch.
The ref was watching him, two people behind the fence saw him. Lucky no-one questioned him on what he threw over the fence especially Gallese.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The ref was watching him, two people behind the fence saw him. Lucky no-one questioned him on what he threw over the fence especially Gallese.

No rule against shithousery.

Good on him, quality work by Redders IMO