WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Pickers35 said:
I think a lot of the buzz of the game went when Michael Pickering got cleaned up.
Yeah, the tiges won by 2 points but i was more concerned about the health of Pickers.
It proberly cost him a State Jumper and career started to go down hill from here.

Indeed, I think that was my main concern too ...NOT! You worry me Pickers 35.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Tigers v West Coast at Waverley in 1989 (or 1990?). I took my girlfriend who hated football and I tolerated this game until the start of the last quarter when I'd had enough. I walked out it was that bad. We ended up winning but I was hardly enthused.

That game stands out in my memory for two reasons. The Pickering clean up. And then going to my car after the game to find my windscreen smashed, by a bloody eagles supporter :mad:

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
tigertim said:
Tigers v West Coast at Waverley in 1989 (or 1990?). I took my girlfriend who hated football and I tolerated this game until the start of the last quarter when I'd had enough. I walked out it was that bad. We ended up winning but I was hardly enthused.
Was that the game where Peter Wilson did his version of the chicken dance to Karl Langdon infering he took a few short steps on the outer wing?

ozmadman

Thanks Cogs
Jun 2, 2007
Darth Tiger said:
95 Prelim.

Absolutely! So depressing.

The 2001 Prelim was equally. I was listening on the radio with my mother-in-law who is a crazy lions fan!

2007 v Geelong - it doesn't get much worse.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Punxsutawney Phil said:
Was that the game where Peter Wilson did his version of the chicken dance to Karl Langdon infering he took a few short steps on the outer wing?

How I hated Langdon. This was just so good, although I also grew to dislike Wilson intensely.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
1982 GF.

1995 PF against Geelong.

Game against the Hawks at Waverley when Dunstall kicked 17 goals.

2 last games in 1994 at Princess park (Cartun ground). We lost both games over 100 pts each to carlton & Geelog & missed te finals by perentage

lockie15

Tiger Cub
Aug 28, 2007
Rich 8-6-54 Melb 26-19-175 MCG 21,654 22-08-1993

This was my first ever game, i was 6. things never really got better.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Easily the most inept performance I've seen by a Richmond team was R20, 1991 - a 59-point loss to Fitzroy at the MCG. The on-field happenings were just comical, and the atmosphere was downright poisonous with Richmond supporters turning on each other out of sheer frustration. An angry mob gathered outside the rooms after the match, demanding answers. Kevin Bartlett's fate as coach was sealed that day.

Jeff Hogg - the best player at the club at that time - played the first half at full back before kicking 6 after being shifted to full forward.

Honourable mention to R22, 1987 v Brisbane at the MCG. In a match to decide the wooden spoon, we flew out of the blocks but ended up getting whacked by 56 points. Lee and Weightman did some whacking of their own and each copped suspensions. Our shame was witnessed by the entire footy public as it was a Friday night game.

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
The three worst games I've been to :

I lived in Mulgrave two streets behind Arctic Park and the Tiges played the first 3 games of the 88 or 89 season there against Hawthorn, Fitzroy and can't remember the third team.

We were beaten by a combined total of 223 pts.

Even the walk home seemed to take ages.

timYCW#7

UNITED CC
May 21, 2008
bringbakflemmo said:
The three worst games I've been to :

I lived in Mulgrave two streets behind Arctic Park and the Tiges played the first 3 games of the 88 or 89 season there against Hawthorn, Fitzroy and can't remember the third team.

We were beaten by a combined total of 223 pts.

Even the walk home seemed to take ages.

bet you didn't have to walk home from coolock because no-one came to pick me up?
Bit of an inside joke there. No-one try to understand that

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
hopper said:
* Circa approx 1990 when North beat us by 141pts on a Friday night. I think Longmire kicked 14. I got off the platform at Richmond station and heard a radio as the game began and we kicked the first. By the time we got in the gate the scoreboard was 1.0 to 5.3. And it got worse from there.

I was there. Alone because my mates car broke down and they didn't make it from Ballarat. It was the days before mobiles of course, so I didn't know that. It poured rain. Alone, in the rain, stayed until the end and then some. There's been some bad ones, that was the worst for me.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
I was there. Alone because my mates car broke down and they didn't make it from Ballarat. It was the days before mobiles of course, so I didn't know that. It poured rain. Alone, in the rain, stayed until the end and then some. There's been some bad ones, that was the worst for me.

Someone on TV (Bob Davis?) said in all seriousness that he thought he was watching a highlights package, such was the flood of North goals.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
tigersnake said:

Don't think it was raining that night. I remember it was all clear. Perfect for the Carey show.

diddy

Tiger Cub
Apr 13, 2009
Worst game SCG may 1984 players sat on the ground played like crap and Brian Taylor was a grumble bum to the supporters, it was a long trip for hubby 3 kids an me also several bus loas of oyal supporters, still hanging in.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
diddy said:
Worst game SCG may 1984 players sat on the ground played like crap and Brian Taylor was a grumble bum to the supporters, it was a long trip for hubby 3 kids an me also several bus loas of oyal supporters, still hanging in.

I remember that game clearly. Watched it with my dad. I was under the delusion that we were still rightly a powerhouse and it was just a blip. Dad said to me and my brothers after that game; 'we're in for a looooong, haaaard time in the wilderness fellas I'm afraid'

Even Dad didn't think it would be this long and hard though.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
My 3 worst games I have attended:

* Prelim Final at Arctic park in 1995 against Geelong.
Gale broke his brothers nose...we couldn;'t kick a goal to save ourselves as Ablett went beserk....it pissed rain all day...couldn't find the car at three-quarter time when I had had a gutful of it.
It was a prick of a day! :mad:

* against Adelaide at the Dome (which if I remember right, was the same night Frawley got spat on)....think it was in 2004.
We were killed by the Crows and I remember just thinking how worse it could get...the players showed nothing and the way I felt then, I felt similarly after the Melbourne loss this season.
Just very deflated and rock bottom.
And of course, with Frawley getting spat on led to another week of garbage about Richmond in the media.

* the Geelong game in 2007 where we lost by over 150 points. Just deplorable.

.....and any loss to Essendon.
I just hate them with a passion!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Liverpool said:
My 3 worst games I have attended:

* Prelim Final at Arctic park in 1995 against Geelong.
Gale broke his brothers nose...we couldn;'t kick a goal to save ourselves as Ablett went beserk....it p!ssed rain all day...couldn't find the car at three-quarter time when I had had a gutful of it.
It was a prick of a day! :mad:

I don't think we really turned up to play that day. It was crap from the start.

You missed out if you left at 3/4 time. With 5 - 10 minutes to go in the last quarter, everyone where I was sitting started singing the Richmond theme song. We were still at it at the final siren and couldn't hear the Geelong song being played. ;D

The worst game I've been to as far as skills are concerned (obviously I don't get to many games these days!) was against the scum on Silvagni's 300th. We won in the end but both teams were booed off the ground at half time. It was a complete shocker. Usually, at least one team plays well.