WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE?

RfC77

Ju-87 : The original TANK buster
Jun 23, 2004
Narre Warren
shamekha said:
my worst was a game in the early 90's vs Nth Melb at Princes Park.. A very cold day. Not may people

We hadn't beaten them for ages, always getting thumped and went down by less than a goal i think not exactly sure, but i know it wasnt very much. We came home with a wet sail and had many chances to win in the last quarter.

I had never been so disappointed that day and have never been since.. i was absolutely gutted :'(

i think Scotty Turner kicked a few that day...

I remember that day too as i was standing behind the north cheersquad at the heatley end... only 11k turned up, virtually no north supporters. Cold, windy, rainy day and we were 40 odd points down late in the third quarter, 20 mins later we were kicking to the heatley stand end and less than a goal down, Hogg was getting dragged and chopped by that dog Martyn in the goal square many times in the final minutes and no free kick was awarded.. in the end Hogged missed a sitter which could've won the game.

Another terrible game was Rich V Bris at the G in '89...the whole ground was a bog - never seen the G in such a state before. Torrential rain, shocking wind and a crowd of 7k, skills were non-existent from both sides, Gary Frangalas kicked a goal and we actually won a game!

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
[quote author=bringbakflemmo ]
The three worst games I've been to :

I lived in Mulgrave two streets behind Arctic Park and the Tiges played the first 3 games of the 88 or 89 season there against Hawthorn, Fitzroy and can't remember the third team.

We were beaten by a combined total of 223 pts.

Even the walk home seemed to take ages.
[/quote]

Have to agree with you there bringbakflemmo. Going to those games and getting belted and then the long trip home on a tram back to Burwood was eventful. In remember one of those games walking all the way home to Burwood. Took me two hours. I was a crazy lad then all because of footy. My parents were worried something happened to me and dad grounded me for weeks from going to any games. I didnt mind as that was a year i dont like to recall to many times.

That 157 pt belting by Geelong in 07 was a game i was meant to go with my friend and his two boys(all nuts about the tigers) and i had to work. He went with his kids , wife stayed home and i hate to say it if i had gone i would have left long before the final siren. He stayed till the end and had to put up with the arrogant Geelong supporters. I guess they had the right. We played them into form and they ended up winning the Grand Final after Bomber Thompson was looking like getting the sack......

Waiting

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Honourable mention to R22, 1987 v Brisbane at the MCG. In a match to decide the wooden spoon, we flew out of the blocks but ended up getting whacked by 56 points. Lee and Weightman did some whacking of their own and each copped suspensions. Our shame was witnessed by the entire footy public as it was a Friday night game.

I felt that shame. It was incomprehensible to me as a young supporter that we could win a wooden spoon. We didn't have radio coverage of that game that night, I could only get scores by sneaking into the local TAB. The bloke who owned it knew I was underage (he was actually my footy coach from the year before), but could see I was desperate to know what was going on, so he let me come around behind the counter. Even then I was onlg getting scores every 10 minutes.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Pickers35 said:
I think a lot of the buzz of the game went when Michael Pickering got cleaned up.
Yeah, the tiges won by 2 points but i was more concerned about the health of Pickers.
It proberly cost him a State Jumper and his career started to go down hill from here.

That hit by Geoff Miles was one of the most gutless things I have ever seen on a footy field. Joffa liked to think he was a hard man, but he proved that day that he was just weak. There was no need for it they were a fair way from the play, and the worst bit was that I think our players were so shocked that no one remonstrated with him or flew the flag. Winning was little consolation. I remember Phil Egan being moved to full forward in the last qtr and the Eagles had no idea how to counter him.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Streak said:
That hit by Geoff Miles was one of the most gutless things I have ever seen on a footy field. Joffa liked to think he was a hard man, but he proved that day that he was just weak. There was no need for it they were a fair way from the play, and the worst bit was that I think our players were so shocked that no one remonstrated with him or flew the flag. Winning was little consolation. I remember Phil Egan being moved to full forward in the last qtr and the Eagles had no idea how to counter him.

Not that it would be tolerated now, but it was a fair hip and shoulder bump. Pickering's problem was that he didn't see it coming.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Not that it would be tolerated now, but it was a fair hip and shoulder bump. Pickering's problem was that he didn't see it coming.

Fair, the ball was no where near Pickering when he copped it. Pickers didn't see it coming because all he was doing was jogging along nowhere near a contest. Miles himself says he regrets doing it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Streak said:
Fair, the ball was no where near Pickering when he copped it. Pickers didn't see it coming because all he was doing was jogging along nowhere near a contest. Miles himself says he regrets doing it.

An Eagles player had the ball; Pickering wasn't actually chasing but, as you say, jogging along behind, but it was fair in that it was delivered fairly. I stood up to start screaming abuse but sat down without saying anything when I realised this. It wasn't like e.g. Leigh Matthews on Peter Giles. Pretty sure players were being charged off video evidence at that stage and nothing was done, in fact Miles was never reported in 122 games. It's one of those things that looks a lot worse in retrospect.

Surprised that Miles would've expressed regret though, so maybe my view of the incident is flawed.

I think that might've also been the game that Peter Wilson (playing for us at that stage) did a chicken impersonation directed at Karl Langdon.

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
Streak said:
I remember Don Pyke had the ball running near the Boundary line and Pickers was coming across the wing but still was about 20 metres away.

tbartiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2009
Qld
diddy said:
Worst game SCG may 1984 players sat on the ground played like crap and Brian Taylor was a grumble bum to the supporters, it was a long trip for hubby 3 kids an me also several bus loas of oyal supporters, still hanging in.

tigersnake said:
I remember that game clearly. Watched it with my dad. I was under the delusion that we were still rightly a powerhouse and it was just a blip. Dad said to me and my brothers after that game; 'we're in for a looooong, haaaard time in the wilderness fellas I'm afraid'

Even Dad didn't think it would be this long and hard though.

I actually brought this game up in a new thread and have not had a response yet. I was only 9 or 10 at the time, so i didnt know about any off field stufff. Since im not the only one who remembers it, what were the circumstances leading up to it, its seems sitting on the field is a pretty drastic move?

ILUVDISCO

Tiger Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
The Melbourne game this year where the horrible little Mexican kicked the winner after the siren. The only thing that was missing from that game was the Benny Hill music.

I love making lists of things like this, and did so on my phone recently while traveling public transport!
I titled it - The Ten most Shattering defeats!

1-1990, Richmond v North! I was at the punt road end, good chance the western stand was closed as it was a lot in those days, with family friends who didn't really get footy. I think it was mitchell who kicked the first goal, and then that was all she wrote. I was only 8 or so at the time, but remember it vividly.

2- 1995, Richmond v North Melbourne, the 2nd meeting in the home and away season. We beat them on the monday before Anzac Day, and this match, led the by 45 points or something, ALL over them. Then Carey, single handedly, got them back in. I was 2nd tier western stand, behind the cheer squad (dad never let us join, just sat us right behind?!?) and it was awful. Went down by 10 points i think. The worst EVER, and i really mean that, in the back decision was paid to Brett Allison at a crucial point too. Remember walking out and seeing grown men kicking walls and bins, and walking back to richmond station with the family ABSOLUTELY gutter, smacking every post or sign with my home made umbrella flag. Dad said he wouldn't take me again.

3-1998- richmond v melbourne, round 22, just need to win, in the finals, and we crumbled badly. Was again, 2nd tier western stand, and vividly remember farmer taking that mark. Looked even better live.

4-round 1 2009 - The worst bit was during the 2nd quarter, a carlton fan behind me bellowed "You need another 5-year plan!" You don't want to hear that in the 2nd quarter of round 1, but i knew he was right!

5-2006 round 1, similar to above match, this time footscray beat us by 100 points. Enouhg said!

6-2007, richmond v geelong, it actually did become funny it was so bad. Doesn't hurt as much as some of the tight losses though.

7-2000, richmond v sydney at colonial, needed to win to make finals, and o'loughlan bobbed up with a goal. Truly awful, should have won, a lot of angry people that day!

8-1994-richmond v geelong at princes park. Sat i rain in front of heatly stand. I've heard people say we were never in it, but during 3rd, Richo had a chance to bring margin back to 10 points, but hit the post from not far out. Another 9th finish! We're not good at 1st or last round matches!!!

9 - 2001- qual final against essendon. Was standing behind goals at punt road end, and to be honest was some of worst behaviour from richmond supporters. But the false hope of previous week when essendon let us win, and lloyds 100th goal, terrible night, full of REALITY!

10-1996- Richmond v Sydney at Waverley! Lost by 2 points i think! Chris Bond kicked a "winning" goal, only for a free against richo for shepherding on the line! I smashed my above-mentioned flag in 2 on the old wooden seats at waverley, and again dad said he wasn't going to take me any more. He didn't keep his word thank god. That was Stuey Maxfields first game against us, and i remember that upsetting me. He was my absolute fave player!!

11- Draw against footscray at docklands couple years back. Was with some footscray supporters, sitting up on level 3, so no atmoshpere, and we were home. Until Jake king got his ambitions confused with his capablities and tried a pin-point pass. That game best reflected Wallaces reign, as Malthouse said, you're always a chance against Wallace coached teams, no matter how far in front they are!

12- Richmond v Essendon dreamtime match, when RICHO KICKED THE GOAL! He'd broken his FACE the week before, and then that soft in the back decision! SPITTING CHIPS!

2005, v's Melbourne, when Brown broke his leg. Not so much that, but we were on a roll, and once again, when expectations rose, we crumbled. And Brown's injury on top of that made it a lousy night at Docklands!

1996- round 22, Needed to beat North to make finals, and lost by 6 goals or so. Always kind of in contest, Richo kicked 6, but, again, failed! North did win the flag though.

Few honourable mentions - 1993/97 Richmond v Adelaide at Footy Park, both 130-140 point drubbings. And 1997 preliminary final, not richmond match, but absolutely awful to see Adelaide roll footscray! Same venue, losing to port in 2008 when tredrea kicked winner late, and when Jack's kick from 55 failed to get us over the line against the Saints and filthy little milne kicked 7!

I'm sure i'm forgetting a lot!

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Reading this list makes me depressed Honeybum.
Perhaps you could make another list "the 10 best wins".
That would be nice.
You could start with the 1973 GF.
Or 67, 69,72,80.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Honeybuns ON FIRE said:
I love making lists of things like this, and did so on my phone recently while traveling public transport!

1-1990, Richmond v North! I was at the punt road end, good chance the western stand was closed as it was a lot in those days, with family friends who didn't really get footy. I think it was mitchell who kicked the first goal, and then that was all she wrote. I was only 8 or so at the time, but remember it vividly.

2- 1995, Richmond v North Melbourne, the 2nd meeting in the home and away season. We beat them on the monday before Anzac Day, and this match, led the by 45 points or something, ALL over them. Then Carey, single handedly, got them back in. I was 2nd tier western stand, behind the cheer squad (dad never let us join, just sat us right behind?!?) and it was awful. Went down by 10 points i think. The worst EVER, and i really mean that, in the back decision was paid to Brett Allison at a crucial point too. Remember walking out and seeing grown men kicking walls and bins, and walking back to richmond station with the family ABSOLUTELY gutter, smacking every post or sign with my home made umbrella flag. Dad said he wouldn't take me again.

3-1998- richmond v melbourne, round 22, just need to win, in the finals, and we crumbled badly. Was again, 2nd tier western stand, and vividly remember farmer taking that mark. Looked even better live.

4-round 1 2009 - The worst bit was during the 2nd quarter, a carlton fan behind me bellowed "You need another 5-year plan!" You don't want to hear that in the 2nd quarter of round 1, but i knew he was right!

5-2006 round 1, similar to above match, this time footscray beat us by 100 points. Enouhg said!

6-2007, richmond v geelong, it actually did become funny it was so bad. Doesn't hurt as much as some of the tight losses though.

7-2000, richmond v sydney at colonial, needed to win to make finals, and o'loughlan bobbed up with a goal. Truly awful, should have won, a lot of angry people that day!

8-1994-richmond v geelong at princes park. Sat i rain in front of heatly stand. I've heard people say we were never in it, but during 3rd, Richo had a chance to bring margin back to 10 points, but hit the post from not far out. Another 9th finish! We're not good at 1st or last round matches!!!

9 - 2001- qual final against essendon. Was standing behind goals at punt road end, and to be honest was some of worst behaviour from richmond supporters. But the false hope of previous week when essendon let us win, and lloyds 100th goal, terrible night, full of REALITY!

10-1996- Richmond v Sydney at Waverley! Lost by 2 points i think! Chris Bond kicked a "winning" goal, only for a free against richo for shepherding on the line! I smashed my above-mentioned flag in 2 on the old wooden seats at waverley, and again dad said he wasn't going to take me any more. He didn't keep his word thank god. That was Stuey Maxfields first game against us, and i remember that upsetting me. He was my absolute fave player!!

11- Draw against footscray at docklands couple years back. Was with some footscray supporters, sitting up on level 3, so no atmoshpere, and we were home. Until Jake king got his ambitions confused with his capablities and tried a pin-point pass. That game best reflected Wallaces reign, as Malthouse said, you're always a chance against Wallace coached teams, no matter how far in front they are!

12- Richmond v Essendon dreamtime match, when RICHO KICKED THE GOAL! He'd broken his FACE the week before, and then that soft in the back decision! SPITTING CHIPS!

2005, v's Melbourne, when Brown broke his leg. Not so much that, but we were on a roll, and once again, when expectations rose, we crumbled. And Brown's injury on top of that made it a lousy night at Docklands!

1996- round 22, Needed to beat North to make finals, and lost by 6 goals or so. Always kind of in contest, Richo kicked 6, but, again, failed! North did win the flag though.

Few honourable mentions - 1993/97 Richmond v Adelaide at Footy Park, both 130-140 point drubbings. And 1997 preliminary final, not richmond match, but absolutely awful to see Adelaide roll footscray! Same venue, losing to port in 2008 when tredrea kicked winner late, and when Jack's kick from 55 failed to get us over the line against the Saints and filthy little milne kicked 7!

I'm sure i'm forgetting a lot!

Pretty good list there mate....I was at every one of those Melbourne games, and share your pain!

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Honeybuns ON FIRE said:

Mitchell did kick the first that night. Wasn't there, but watched it on TV over here in WA. I was so shocked I watched the whole game!

Gordietiger

The Rolls Royce!
Apr 14, 2004
1995 Preliminary--awful flogging--Was behind goals watching the Ablett show--could not even get a beer to drown sorrows--there was a queue 100 metres long to get a beer from one bloke with a single plute!! --says something about us though--we all sang the theme song after the game-even though it was not being played---stirring stuff actually
Dome 07--Geelong--the week after "Gaspergate"--players clearly did not want to be there --88 points at half time.
went to work the next day only to find a huge 157 sign plastered on my desk!

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Gordietiger said:
1995 Preliminary--awful flogging--Was behind goals watching the Ablett show--could not even get a beer to drown sorrows--there was a queue 100 metres long to get a beer from one bloke with a single plute!! --says something about us though--we all sang the theme song after the game-even though it was not being played---stirring stuff actually

For what it is worth, Stephen Jurica nominates the fans singing Tigerland after that game as being one of his fondest memories of his time at the club.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Sat in the members at AAMI or Footy Park asit was than and watched the crows do us by 139 points and modra kick 13 I think. Was truly Heartbreaking for a young cub. Allthough we won the following year with Richo dobbing one from 60 metres out to silence the morons. :D

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
zgod said:
Sat in the members at AAMI or Footy Park asit was than and watched the crows do us by 139 points and modra kick 13 I think. Was truly Heartbreaking for a young cub. Allthough we won the following year with Richo dobbing one from 60 metres out to silence the morons. :D
Was that Robert Walls' last game....the Giesch was unleashed after that.

I actually went to the game at the SCG in 1994 where we got done by the Swans...we were pitiful. then, Mal Brown launched his tirade on the footyshow about the club being cliquey etc. and we came good from that point on...

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The last 30 years have been a disaster, there are too many bad games to mention. but every bad loss just showed up how far way we were from ever contending for a flag.
most importantly during certain seasons we lost crucial players for long periods that showed up when playing against the stronger sides.
^Nathan Brown, was on fire before he broke his leg,
^Tony Free does his knee in 1995, took over 20 months to return, but was never the same..
^Richo does his knee in 1995 and also in 2001 misses half the season with a broken foot
^Justin Charles gets caught taking steroids
^Stuart Wigney rolls his ankle against swannies, comes back late in the season losing all fitness and all of his good form from early in the season.
^Coulglan does his knee twice and ends up looking like a 40 year old when he returns..
^Ottens skewer's himself on a paling and misses half a season.
My top 5 losses are,
1) Carlton 82 Grand final
2) Essendon Fosters Cup Grand final 93
3) Geelong by a 1000 under Wallace
4) any loss involving Collingwood
5) Carlton, Cousins 1st game, laughing stock

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Honeybuns ON FIRE said:
1996- Richmond v Sydney at Waverley! Lost by 2 points i think! Chris Bond kicked a "winning" goal, only for a free against richo for shepherding on the line! I smashed my above-mentioned flag in 2 on the old wooden seats at waverley, and again dad said he wasn't going to take me any more. He didn't keep his word thank god. That was Stuey Maxfields first game against us, and i remember that upsetting me. He was my absolute fave player!!

I remember this. First time I felt like a psycho at Arctic Park. A mate of mine sped towards the fence and nearly jumped over coz he was furious at the umpires.

Heh heh heh.....it's all laughs and giggles when you look back now.