WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Didn't see it live but our Centenial game, where we wore that shocking Hawthorn strip and then got belted by Carlton was the absolute low point of this club.

We were crap on the field and made crap decisions off the field to think to wear that jumper.

That was a shocker! that was the end of Cleve Hughes that day. Think he'd kicked 6 the week before against Port, and kicked 3 or 4 against the Blues, took a couple of very strong marks, then him and Polly that night - a drink, a tram - well the rest is history! Wrecked 2 careers!

That game was symbolic in a lot of ways, just typical. Had a lead, couldn't put them away, faltered, got done! I remember being PARTICULARLY bitter that day. I'd done the unusual and booked a ticket so i could bring my dad, we sat in the Ponsford, not down there too often, and we really should have won the match. There was a fair bit of agro between supporters, which i found odd down the ponsford, the atmosphere was actually very good.

Still, good to take my dad and see all the champs go around! They gave him so much joy in the day!!!

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
About 4 years ago against St Kilda when Gehrig kicked 10 or 11. Flew all the way from Adelaide to see that debacle. Ruined my weekend. Disgusting and stil lget angry thinking about the gutless efforts given that day.

kpark

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2010
That final at Waverley was good, except for the rain :hihi

Pity about the Grand Final tho. :'(

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
kpark said:
That final at Waverley was good, except for the rain :hihi

Thanks for reminding me why I don't like Geelong supporters. :blah

kpark

Tiger Cub
Dec 15, 2010
rosy23 said:
Thanks for reminding me why I don't like Geelong supporters. :blah

HAHA that's OK, you guys played your grand final the week before probably and we got blown out of the water by Carlton a week later.

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
shamekha said:
my worst was a game in the early 90's vs Nth Melb at Princes Park.. A very cold day. Not may people

We hadn't beaten them for ages, always getting thumped and went down by less than a goal i think not exactly sure, but i know it wasnt very much. We came home with a wet sail and had many chances to win in the last quarter.

I had never been so disappointed that day and have never been since.. i was absolutely gutted :'(

i think Scotty Turner kicked a few that day...
Was there as well. Hoggy missed a shot from 30 meters on the slightest of angles after the siren that would have won us the game. GUTTED!

Gnarley

Tiger Rookie
Apr 15, 2011
I went to see Dimma's 1st NAB Cup game as coach @ Aurora Stadium. I was in excruciating pain after 1 minute of play :'( It was embarrassing.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Gnarley said:
I went to see Dimma's 1st NAB Cup game as coach @ Aurora Stadium. I was in excruciating pain after 1 minute of play :'( It was embarrassing.

I was at a 40th that night and the guys felt they had to play it on a big screen and feed it to me. I copped an awful bucketload. Then West Coast went on to win the wooden spoon. The silence was deafening.

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
1. hawthorn game late 80s early 90s - at Artci Park - Dunstall kicks 18 goals
2. Anytime we played Geelong with G Ablett Senior he always kicked more than 10 goals
3. Sydney 1996 when Richo did his knee first time
4. Having a chance to make the 8 and the finals but losng key games to finish 9th
5. Losing 1972 Grand Final to carlton

Tommo37

Tiger Superstar
Aug 16, 2011
Every single game we have lost. I dont care how well we played we still lost and to me that makes it the worst game ever till the next loss.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Going back a little, way before i was old enough to drive - i remember listening to the round 22 game v Carlton 1981. We had to win to make the finals and from memory a few other results go our way. Considering how far we won the 1980 premiership by, i fully expected us to extract the digit and walk through the finals if we made it in. As it turned out we only managed 5 or 6 goals for the whole game and never looked like it. Carlton didn't score much more, preferring to try to lock us down.

1983 - Revenge game round 1 after Carlton beat us in the 1982 Grand Final. As soon as the final siren sounded on that GRand Final i was just dying for revenge to restore the status quo. As history tells us now, we had half our team poached over the summer and got a merciless flogging at the hands of the Blues in round 1 the following year.

A few rounds later, about round 5 or 6 we met Essendon and they physically mauled us. Literally knocking blokes down everywhere and we didn't stand up to it as a team. We got pants'd on the scoreboard, and beaten up without firing a shot back. One thing we hadn't done for years was get physically beaten up by anyone. I guess this was the wake up to the 'new Richmond' for the next 30 years!

With the hard nuts Dimma is bringing to the team now, i'm really hoping we're closing the door to that era.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
*smile*el said:
Going back a little, way before i was old enough to drive - i remember listening to the round 22 game v Carlton 1981. We had to win to make the finals and from memory a few other results go our way. Considering how far we won the 1980 premiership by, i fully expected us to extract the digit and walk through the finals if we made it in. As it turned out we only managed 5 or 6 goals for the whole game and never looked like it. Carlton didn't score much more, preferring to try to lock us down.

We got stitched up anyway since Collingwood needed to beat Fitzroy at Victoria Park (which most assumed would happen). Collingwood kicked just a solitary goal for the day until, during the last quarter when it was apparent Richmond would go down, they booted a few late ones to add some respectability. Several in the media suggested it was payback for the 1980 Grand Final.

Probably the toughest season I've endured as a Richmond supporter.

Patience

I have Yellow and Black blood
May 20, 2012
2 games at arctic park stand out for me, one was against Collingwood in the eighties I think and we were 10 goals up at three quarter time and at the start of the last quarter all of the Collingwood players stood around the line of the centre square and just rushed at the ball and ran in packs. We ended up losing that game.
Second one was also the 95 prelim, was lining up in the bar for a beer when the ball was bounced. Didn't even get back to my seat to watch the game, stayed in the bar and watched it on the screen. Man I was smashed when I left the ground. I did enjoy singing the song at the end of the game though and drowning out the Geelong song.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
1972 GF really hurt as did the 1982 GF both against Carlscum.
Also 1995 PF against Geelong. F'me after a great year pulled that crap performance out.

H&A games 1994 losing both the last 2 H&A games by I think 100 pts each one to be kicked out of the finals. Of memory both games at Princess Park.

Also the game aganist Haw in the late 80's were Dunstall kicked 17 goals. The umpiring, couldn't even touch Dunstall without a free kick given. Made me sick. We were calling the frees before the ball got there. Crap game.

Also a game against Melbourne, we could lose by 37 pts and still get in the finals... yep lost by more ! forget the year

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Al Bundy said:
Also a game against Melbourne, we could lose by 37 pts and still get in the finals... yep lost by more ! forget the year

Was that a final round game? I don't recall the details you mention. If it's the game I'm thinking of it must have been a Dees home game. It didn't bode well for us. They had cavalcades, pom pom girls and heaps of hoo ha going on...always a bad omen for us I reckon. A Richmond lady behind us was extremely drunk and kept yelling out abuse about Diamond Joe. She was evicted, dragged out screaming and abusing. She left a bag of purchases from the Tiger Den, including a good jacket. We handed it in the the powers to be but they told us to keep it because they'd never find the owner. I left contact details requesting they pass them on if she tried to find her things but never heard anything.

One of my worst games was our Waverely final against Geelong. Such a let down. Absolutely flogged and stuck near the Geelong cheer squad. :vomit