WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE?

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
I've only seen about 6 Tigers games live in my life unfortunately (geez - that averages out to one every 7 years - where's the time gone?)

Worst of that bunch has to be last years FTF game vs Carlton. So disappointing, we didn't fire a shot.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
A couple of other ordinary ones were when we laid down in games we should have given our all for. One was the inaugural Dyer/Richards Cup. We didn't fly the flag too well for Jack. The other was our game against the Hawks? after Jack died. Sometimes I just hope they'll give that bit more and it's disappointing when they don't give a whimper.

tempany14

Tiger Rookie
Feb 25, 2008
Definately the 82 Grand Final not only because we lost to the scum but also because my favourite player Bruce Tempany had his arm broken by that undesirable wayne Johnston

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
tempany14 said:
Definately the 82 Grand Final not only because we lost to the scum but also because my favourite player Bruce Tempany had his arm broken by that undesirable wayne Johnston
I reckon it was McConville who broke Tempany's arm not Johnston.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
rosy23 said:
The other was our game against the Hawks? after Jack died.

It was against the Hawks and I was shocked we lost. Tom Hafey spoke to the boys before they ran out, and really, we should have won it.

I thought at the time we must have been overawed.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Streak said:
It was against the Hawks and I was shocked we lost. Tom Hafey spoke to the boys before they ran out, and really, we should have won it.

I thought at the time we must have been overawed.

Perhaps a bit like the Jim Stynes death before Melbourne played Brisbane this year.

Another stinker against Hawthorn I remember was in late 1998 playing them at VFL Park. They were on the bottom of the ladder and we were in the 8. A win would have almost secured a finals birth.

They smashed us and we only kicked 4 or 5 goals. I distinctly remember Daniel Harford doing an aeroplane after he kicked a goal. Of course, we missed the finals by %% that year.

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
rosy23 said:
A couple of other ordinary ones were when we laid down in games we should have given our all for. One was the inaugural Dyer/Richards Cup. We didn't fly the flag too well for Jack. The other was our game against the Hawks? after Jack died. Sometimes I just hope they'll give that bit more and it's disappointing when they don't give a whimper.

I thought it was Port Adelaide, and Port didn't sing their song after the game or something. I cried at the start of the game because they had a tribute and the banner read something like...

Heaven can take the field 'cause their Captain has arrived

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/24/1061663680241.html

Punxsutawney Phil

Apr 2, 2007
Streak said:
I am certain that we played Hawthorn after Jack died.

Yeah I reckon he may have died on say the Friday night before a Saturday game against the Hawks.

But I do remember the banner was at the dome before the Power beat us the week after

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Streak said:
I am certain that we played Hawthorn after Jack died.

Yep. August 2003. I woz there.......and missed a big high school re-union because of that stupid loss.

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/2003.html

Games vs. Port was the 24th of August, Dyer died on the 23rd of August. The game vs. the Hawks was the next weekend at the 'G.

Unless the AFL tables site is incorrect?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
feisty tige said:
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/2003.html

Games vs. Port was the 24th of August, Dyer died on the 23rd of August. The game vs. the Hawks was the next weekend at the 'G.

Unless the AFL tables site is incorrect?

It's correct. The club needed one week to prepare for the best way to say goodbye on our home ground.

Punxsutawney Phil

Apr 2, 2007
TigerForce said:
It's correct. The club needed one week to prepare for the best way to say goodbye on our home ground.

We played *smile* both games unfortunately

Pieman

I am The Pieman
Dec 16, 2003
Brisbane Qld
Prelim final 2001. Lions at the Gabba, ALL over by half time...All that was left to get totally smashed. after all the team did.I went to this one with my face completely painted tiger striped. Bloody hard to get a cab at 2 am as well.

haveago

Tiger Cub
May 12, 2007
Also a game against Melbourne, we could lose by 37 pts and still get in the finals... yep lost by more ! forget the year
[/quote]

Yep I remember that one. Farmer stood on Lyon and Turners head in the opening minutes and marked a classic and you just knew from the start it was not going to be our day.

I have to admit seeing that mark live was pretty impressive. It never looked as good on the replays but he was high.

DanMinogue

Tiger Rookie
Mar 22, 2013
1992 vs Adelaide MCG lose by 110 pts..last time I left a game early
2007 Geelong massacre
1990 vs NM..down by 68 at qtr time..worse was to come

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
mainlandy said:
Obviously fresh in the mind but the weekend's game was one of the worst I've been to. Didn't help that we lost

I'd rate it as our fourth-worst loss under Dimma, after Gold Coast x 2 and the 100-point loss to Carlton on the day we launched the Fighting Tiger Fund.