WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE?

DanMinogue

Tiger Rookie
Mar 22, 2013
..like to include Round 4 2014 into the discussion for pure dispiritedness(should be a word when related to us) and skill level

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Adelaide game in icy conditions.
Modra I remember had a field day and that Geelong game.

Cats lost to North by 7 goals at Kardinia after a good start and questions were being asked about Bomber Thomson's future at Geelong.

The cats took it out on Richmond the following week,won the flag and 2 more after that.

A loss to Richmond and who knows Bomber may have been asked to resign.

Dees game ,last of the season to a packed, sunlit MCG cut deep also.

We had to win to make finals and didn't turn up.
Farmer ran riot and Melbourne cruised to an easy win and the huge throng of yellow and black went home unhappy.

I know I was gutted.

You have to be tough to be a Tiger.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
smasha said:
Dees game ,last of the season to a packed, sunlit MCG cut deep also.

We had to win to make finals and didn't turn up.
Farmer ran riot and Melbourne cruised to an easy win and the huge throng of yellow and black went home unhappy.

I know I was gutted.

You have to be tough to be a Tiger.

A weekend where calculators were busy. ;D

Gutless wonders we were that day as we played like zombies not knowing what to do. We still see it today in front of large crowds.

I remember begging for the Cats to thrash the Bummers the day before so they would lose more % in 8th spot, as we had to win or at least lose by less than a goal to finish 8th. We just let the Dees do as they liked and IIRC, Farmer took that screamer near the Northern Stand wing on that day.

skylokreata

Tiger Cub
Sep 27, 2007
Most games have been mentioned but what irks me is this against the Dees.

When they wheel out Rob Gell, or Nick McCallum against us pre game we get flogged.

We can't even win for Tom Hafey.

One day Ron Barassi will pass and if we are playing them the following week, mark my words it will be a loss.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Probably th eworst game I have seen was actually a game we won. It was the worst & saddest because it was the last game in Melbourne for Fitzroy.
We thrashed them, but it was not one bit enjoyable. I have many friends who were Fitzroy supporters & I know how much they were hurting.
At the time I Cast my mind back to the Save Our Skins campaign & tried to imagine how I would feel if it was Richmond who was being tossed out of the competition.
I know of many Fitzroy supporters who have been lost to the game.

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Claw

Tiger Rookie
Apr 2, 2016
Had a quick look through this thread and could not see a reference to what was undoubtably the Tigers worst ever performance in a VFL or AFL match.

It was the debacle at the Junction Oval vs St Kilda in Round 16, 1961. On that Saturday afternoon, the Tigers were unable to score a goal for the entire match. They finished with a measly 8 behinds.

The final score was St.Kilda 12.19 to Richmond 0.8. How do I remember it so well...? I was just a very young lad, but I was at the ground that fateful day and the shame of it was burnt into my memory.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Tiger Claw said:
Had a quick look through this thread and could not see a reference to what was undoubtably the Tigers worst ever performance in a VFL or AFL match.

It was the debacle at the Junction Oval vs St Kilda in Round 16, 1961. On that Saturday afternoon, the Tigers were unable to score a goal for the entire match. They finished with a measly 8 behinds.

The final score was St.Kilda 12.19 to Richmond 0.8. How do I remember it so well...? I was just a very young lad, but I was at the ground that fateful day and the shame of it was burnt into my memory.
I wasn't even born when that one happened, but my parents went to see it. My mother often spoke of it. Little was anyone to know that we only had to hang in there for another 6 years for a flag, and that we'd get 4 more after that, while the Aints still haven't added to the one they got in '66.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
Yes, the Tommy game was the worst ever. It wasn't that we lost, but how we lost. No spirit, no guts. No Tommy. Devastating.

Filthy Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 10, 2014
Honeybuns ON FIRE said:
I love making lists of things like this, and did so on my phone recently while traveling public transport!
I titled it - The Ten most Shattering defeats!

1-1990, Richmond v North! I was at the punt road end, good chance the western stand was closed as it was a lot in those days, with family friends who didn't really get footy. I think it was mitchell who kicked the first goal, and then that was all she wrote. I was only 8 or so at the time, but remember it vividly.

2- 1995, Richmond v North Melbourne, the 2nd meeting in the home and away season. We beat them on the monday before Anzac Day, and this match, led the by 45 points or something, ALL over them. Then Carey, single handedly, got them back in. I was 2nd tier western stand, behind the cheer squad (dad never let us join, just sat us right behind?!?) and it was awful. Went down by 10 points i think. The worst EVER, and i really mean that, in the back decision was paid to Brett Allison at a crucial point too. Remember walking out and seeing grown men kicking walls and bins, and walking back to richmond station with the family ABSOLUTELY gutter, smacking every post or sign with my home made umbrella flag. Dad said he wouldn't take me again.

3-1998- richmond v melbourne, round 22, just need to win, in the finals, and we crumbled badly. Was again, 2nd tier western stand, and vividly remember farmer taking that mark. Looked even better live.

4-round 1 2009 - The worst bit was during the 2nd quarter, a carlton fan behind me bellowed "You need another 5-year plan!" You don't want to hear that in the 2nd quarter of round 1, but i knew he was right!

5-2006 round 1, similar to above match, this time footscray beat us by 100 points. Enouhg said!

6-2007, richmond v geelong, it actually did become funny it was so bad. Doesn't hurt as much as some of the tight losses though.

7-2000, richmond v sydney at colonial, needed to win to make finals, and o'loughlan bobbed up with a goal. Truly awful, should have won, a lot of angry people that day!

8-1994-richmond v geelong at princes park. Sat i rain in front of heatly stand. I've heard people say we were never in it, but during 3rd, Richo had a chance to bring margin back to 10 points, but hit the post from not far out. Another 9th finish! We're not good at 1st or last round matches!!!

9 - 2001- qual final against essendon. Was standing behind goals at punt road end, and to be honest was some of worst behaviour from richmond supporters. But the false hope of previous week when essendon let us win, and lloyds 100th goal, terrible night, full of REALITY!

10-1996- Richmond v Sydney at Waverley! Lost by 2 points i think! Chris Bond kicked a "winning" goal, only for a free against richo for shepherding on the line! I smashed my above-mentioned flag in 2 on the old wooden seats at waverley, and again dad said he wasn't going to take me any more. He didn't keep his word thank god. That was Stuey Maxfields first game against us, and i remember that upsetting me. He was my absolute fave player!!

11- Draw against footscray at docklands couple years back. Was with some footscray supporters, sitting up on level 3, so no atmoshpere, and we were home. Until Jake king got his ambitions confused with his capablities and tried a pin-point pass. That game best reflected Wallaces reign, as Malthouse said, you're always a chance against Wallace coached teams, no matter how far in front they are!

12- Richmond v Essendon dreamtime match, when RICHO KICKED THE GOAL! He'd broken his FACE the week before, and then that soft in the back decision! SPITTING CHIPS!

2005, v's Melbourne, when Brown broke his leg. Not so much that, but we were on a roll, and once again, when expectations rose, we crumbled. And Brown's injury on top of that made it a lousy night at Docklands!

1996- round 22, Needed to beat North to make finals, and lost by 6 goals or so. Always kind of in contest, Richo kicked 6, but, again, failed! North did win the flag though.

Few honourable mentions - 1993/97 Richmond v Adelaide at Footy Park, both 130-140 point drubbings. And 1997 preliminary final, not richmond match, but absolutely awful to see Adelaide roll footscray! Same venue, losing to port in 2008 when tredrea kicked winner late, and when Jack's kick from 55 failed to get us over the line against the Saints and filthy little milne kicked 7!

I'm sure i'm forgetting a lot!

That loss to Sydney in 2000, geez I was livid. A lot of upset and angry supporters that day.

2001 PF to Brisbane - It marked another dark chapter for the club. We thought we were onto something good, topped up the list for the following year and finished 14th in 2002

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Hartbalme said:
Yes, the Tommy game was the worst ever. It wasn't that we lost, but how we lost. No spirit, no guts. No Tommy. Devastating.

For over 50 years I have so many games involving the Tigers but that loss to Melbourne was an absolute stinker and low point in all my watching/viewing/supporting years of the Yellow and Black ... such a deflating and dispiriting match ... just no soul or respect for the great man on the day ... a very pitiful performance at the G.

FrankGayton

Tiger Cub
Apr 2, 2016
Worst game for me was definitely 1972 GF loss.

The aftermath was even worse. I went back to Graeme Richmond's Swan Hotel with my father. While having a drink, a large fire broke out in the kitchen. The flames were shooting from the kitchen into the bar area. There were several patrons who did not move as they shed tears about the loss. That to me was the most amazing aftermath of a big loss.

It certainly motivated me to participate not watch and from the next year, I played football rather than watching the Tigers. I still believe that the reaction of the patrons at the Swan Hotel, was unbelievable with flames shooting along the ceiling while grown men cried because of the loss - so the 72 GF loss stands out above so many others.

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
As a few have already mentioned the 2007 Cats game was a standout; so brutal that it became numbing by half-time and you figured it's going this far you might as well see the record score kicked. Cats faded a bit in last quarter but that match beginning of their great era and Richmond still haven't beaten them since!

The 2004 Docklands match v Adelaide when Tigers were thrashed (and Crows were ordinary that year) another lowlight. Not because of the result but because you could see before the siren a mass of Tigers fans swarming around the players race preparing to give it to the players. That they did and that's where the infamous spitting incident occurred.

Glad that trend of clubs own fans giving it to the players like that has largely disappeared now.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
As a few have already mentioned the 2007 Cats game was a standout; so brutal that it became numbing by half-time and you figured it's going this far you might as well see the record score kicked. Cats faded a bit in last quarter but that match beginning of their great era and Richmond still haven't beaten them since!

The only game where late arriving Cats supporters were bumping into early leaving Tiger fans. :hihi :hihi :hihi

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
definitely the Geelong game in 2007 for me. we were down by over 100 points at half time (you can probably count on 1 hand how many times that has happened in 120 years of footy). I used to have free parking at Etihad so I drove in with the ex fiancée. we left at half time which was the earliest I have ever left a game. part of me wanted to stay out of morbid curiosity.

EJC

Tiger Rookie
Dec 1, 2010
Ballarat
Ian4 said:
definitely the Geelong game in 2007 for me. we were down by over 100 points at half time (you can probably count on 1 hand how many times that has happened in 120 years of footy). I used to have free parking at Etihad so I drove in with the ex fiancée. we left at half time which was the earliest I have ever left a game. part of me wanted to stay out of morbid curiosity.
Yes we left at half-time, too. Bizarre to see a reasonably crowded train platform at Southern Cross. Yep - they were Tigers supporters wanting to escape the debacle an hour into the game...

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Bullarto Tiger said:
For over 50 years I have so many games involving the Tigers but that loss to Melbourne was an absolute stinker and low point in all my watching/viewing/supporting years of the Yellow and Black ... such a deflating and dispiriting match ... just no soul or respect for the great man on the day ... a very pitiful performance at the G.

I have sometimes thought was I too emotional about what was an ultra emotional week. Maybe because the Tigers to me are Tommy's Tigers. And that Melbourne game was the anti thesis of Tommy. On this and other threads I note others had similar feelings. All I know is I never want to feel so devastated due to the result of a football match Ever again.