WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WORST GAMES EVER GONE TO SEE?

timYCW#7

UNITED CC
May 21, 2008
I have 3.

#1 worst: vs kangaroos in 2004. at telstra dome. Dunno if anyone else remembers it, but we were about a goal up at half time and somehow managed to lose by 88 points. Sav Rocca kicked 8.

2nd worst: vs Adelade in 2005 at telstra dome. Was actually a game we won. that was the game where we just chipped it around and joel bowden took like 20 marks or something. take out petifers screamer and the last minute and it was just horrible.

3rd worst: vs kangaroos in i think 2006 at t dome. We only lost by about 30 points but watching greg tivendale that day was sheer pain. he must have had about 20 clangers.

Feel free to post the other horrible exhibitions of football the tigers ( or anyone ) have put on over the years.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I don't remember which year, but Frawley was coaching, and we got belted by the bombers by 100 points at the MCG. The roar meter was on the big screen if that helps.

Back in about 92 or 93, I went to a carlton vs tigers match, with a bunch of friends. we got belted and my friends gave me stick for 3 weeks.

The game where frawley got spat on against Adelaide at Tdome. Ugly game of football by the worst side I think I've seen us put on the park.

Knighta

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 17, 2008
Geelong 07 Telstra dome,
when we were absoloutely belted, ill never forget when my dad found out gaspar retired and said to me "imagine if we were pumped this week" i didnt need to imagine
any bad loss against essendon due to the fact i live in essendon went to school in essendon and was so outnumbered it was sad

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
Knighta said:
Geelong 07 Telstra dome,
when we were absoloutely belted, ill never forget when my dad found out gaspar retired and said to me "imagine if we were pumped this week" i didnt need to imagine
any bad loss against essendon due to the fact i live in essendon went to school in essendon and was so outnumbered it was sad

+1......it got funny after a while.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I had the misfortune to watch the Dockers vs the Tigers the week after Drum got sacked by Freo. We won by about 30 points, but it was the poorest display of footy I have ever seen. Freo were absolutely pathetic, and I remember thinking that we would have been belted by 100+ against a half decent team.

shamekha

Tiger Superstar
Mar 7, 2008
my worst was a game in the early 90's vs Nth Melb at Princes Park.. A very cold day. Not may people

We hadn't beaten them for ages, always getting thumped and went down by less than a goal i think not exactly sure, but i know it wasnt very much. We came home with a wet sail and had many chances to win in the last quarter.

I had never been so disappointed that day and have never been since.. i was absolutely gutted :'(

i think Scotty Turner kicked a few that day...

The Mighty Wozman

RFC '82-'13: "Daydream Nation"
Jul 22, 2004
2001 final against Essendon. We beat them the week before (Round 22) and looked like we could be a chance. Got pumped on the night. Also, I was in the MCC (as a "guest) and got into a scuffle with a Melbourne supporter wearing his Melbourne scarf who was bagging Richmond...Poor form all round that night....

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
3rd worst - 1995 Prelim against Geelong.
I wasn't actually there - I was working on an off-shore oil rig at the time. The week before, against Essendon, we had crap reception due to a storm, and I had to watch through static, however for the Geelong game the reception was perfect :mad:

2nd worst - Rd 22 1998 against Melbourne
I wasn't there for this one either - I was travelling in the back blocks of Sumatra, but we had to win to make the finals so it was a must see. After days searching I finally found someone with a TV, and for a small fee allowed me to watch through bars on his door. My time would have been better spent searching for Bintang instead.

#1 worst - Geelong 2007.
I was there for this one - the wounds are still raw.

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
* Circa approx 1990 when North beat us by 141pts on a Friday night. I think Longmire kicked 14. I got off the platform at Richmond station and heard a radio as the game began and we kicked the first. By the time we got in the gate the scoreboard was 1.0 to 5.3. And it got worse from there.

* Game at Docklands v Freo. Might have been about 1999. Freo beat us by a point. Richo busted his foot. They thrashed us all day and we charged home but still got pipped. Losing to Freo in Melb is just awful. It's like getting run out in cricket at the non-strikers end after the ball brushes the bowler's hand before hitting the pegs.

* Circa approx 1990 when we beat Melbourne by about 3 goals at the G. The single worst game of footy I ever saw. My mates and I agreed that if Richmond had been playing anyone else they would have lost by 15 goals. Strawbs O'Dwyer had a shot for goal at the PRE after the 1/2 time siren. He almost kicked it into the old players' race. Summed up the day.

* Circa 2000 when we kicked about 4.15 at Waverley and still beat Hawthorn. Rotten game in abysmal weather, but with a great finish. Benny Gale paid a mark and goaled late in match to seal it. Was SO not a mark. My hawk mate went nuts - I loved it. Coldest I've ever been at a footy match.

*2001 Semi v carlton. Was delighted that we won. But the game was terrible, error-ridden and largely affected by heavy cross-winds. It wasn't that we were better than them that day, they were worse than us. A pretty sad anti-climax to be there.

* Waratahs women v St.mary's women her in Darwin last year. The two top teams slugging it out in the GF. Unfortunately, they got a frightfully wet Top End monsoonal day. At 1/4 time the Tahs had a slender 1 pt lead 0.2 to 0.1 - and there the scores stayed through the next 90 mins of footy!!! I'm serious.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
timYCW#7 said:
2nd worst: vs Adelade in 2005 at telstra dome. Was actually a game we won. that was the game where we just chipped it around and joel bowden took like 20 marks or something.

We've often wondered how that game shaped future performance. It was a shocker to watch and the fact we shut down a game and won might have influenced future performances when we had a lead then shut the game down and ended up losing. That kind of football isn't going to win premierships and I'd much prefer to see us back ourselves and take a team on. We mightn't always get the points but I think we'd gain more in the long run.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
rosy23 said:
We've often wondered how that game shaped future performance. It was a shocker to watch and the fact we shut down a game and won might have influenced future performances when we had a lead then shut the game down and ended up losing.

Agreed. 'Tempo' football seems to have disappeared from Terry's vernacular thank goodness.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Sorry Hopper, just a few little adjustments from myself ;D:-

hopper said:
* Circa approx 1990 when North beat us by 141pts on a Friday night. I think Longmire kicked 14. I got off the platform at Richmond station and heard a radio as the game began and we kicked the first. By the time we got in the gate the scoreboard was 1.0 to 5.3. And it got worse from there.

North were leading by 68 points at quarter time. What a waste. I remember getting excited when Merenda kicked the 1st goal (as hopper mentioned) of the match until the Roos smashed the goals non-stop in just one quarter. I left at 3 quarter time feeling like a slasher.

hopper said:
* Game at Docklands v Freo. Might have been about 1999. Freo beat us by a point. Richo busted his foot. They thrashed us all day and we charged home but still got pipped. Losing to Freo in Melb is just awful. It's like getting run out in cricket at the non-strikers end after the ball brushes the bowler's hand before hitting the pegs.

1st game for us at Docklands was in April 2000 where the game was close all day until one little bounce from a Freo player's kick just bounced awkwardly further forward into goal and Chaffey wasn't able to grab the ball when he dived forward. I don't remember Freo thrashing us.

hopper said:
* Circa 2000 when we kicked about 4.15 at Waverley and still beat Hawthorn. Rotten game in abysmal weather, but with a great finish. Benny Gale paid a mark and goaled late in match to seal it. Was SO not a mark. My hawk mate went nuts - I loved it. Coldest I've ever been at a footy match.
This was in 1995 when Jughead made his debut and every body got excited thinking he was better than his dad. :hihi

hopper said:
*2001 Semi v carlton. Was delighted that we won. But the game was terrible, error-ridden and largely affected by heavy cross-winds. It wasn't that we were better than them that day, they were worse than us. A pretty sad anti-climax to be there.
Mainly due to 9/11 happening 4 days earlier. The world was in fear.....................while Bush & Howard confirmed they had a future.

Lonthalion

Tiger Rookie
Jan 8, 2008
2007: Geelong thrashing. I found myself laughing and hoping that they could get the record so I could feel sorry for myself.

A game against the Roos at the TD where we lost despite having over 60 inside fiftys. Trent Knobel was deplorable that day

The game in 2004 against Adelaide when we were meekly beaten by around 80 points. That was the spitter game if I am not mistaken.

Last year against Adelaide at the G. The first half was so good but then we fell in a heap and got thumped

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The frightening thing is i can remember being at virtually every game mentioned here!

timYCW#7 said:
2nd worst: vs Adelade in 2005 at telstra dome. Was actually a game we won. that was the game where we just chipped it around and joel bowden took like 20 marks or something. take out petifers screamer and the last minute and it was just horrible.

The funny thing about this game is that Wallace copped a pasting from all and sundry for ugly footy and Neil Craig came out scot free!

The reality is that the Crows were flooding back leaving their forward line wide open and ours cluttered to buggery. All Wallace did was devise a plan which simply said " Man up and play proper football you weak pr!cks, or we'll chip it around back here all day"!

The option of course is that you kick it into the crowded mess, watch your team inevitably loose possession and then have the ball come back twice as fast as it went in - to an open forward line whats more!

That game was Neil Craig's fault and i personally don't blame Wallace at all for out game plan. The option of course was to get flogged, not on lack of ability but on plain stupidity by basically giving the ball to them!

Geelong 2007 at the Dome, i reemmber turning to my brother about 17 mins into the 3rd and said "Man they are going to average a goal every 2 minutes this quarter"! Thankfully it slowed down at about that point.

The 1990 game against North, i'd just bought my membership before walking in. Can remember North having a late change and Gilbert McAdam coming in for his first game and tearing the ring out of our defense. Michael Thompson was given the flick after this game.

Mr Pumblechook said:
2nd worst - Rd 22 1998 against Melbourne
I wasn't there for this one either - I was travelling in the back blocks of Sumatra, but we had to win to make the finals so it was a must see. After days searching I finally found someone with a TV, and for a small fee allowed me to watch through bars on his door. My time would have been better spent searching for Bintang instead.
This game was pathetic. Farmer even stood on Scotty Turners head in the goal square for a hanger! We never looked like it!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Tigers v West Coast at Waverley in 1989 (or 1990?). I took my girlfriend who hated football and I tolerated this game until the start of the last quarter when I'd had enough. I walked out it was that bad. We ended up winning but I was hardly enthused.

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
tigertim said:
Tigers v West Coast at Waverley in 1989 (or 1990?). I took my girlfriend who hated football and I tolerated this game until the start of the last quarter when I'd had enough. I walked out it was that bad. We ended up winning but I was hardly enthused.
I think a lot of the buzz of the game went when Michael Pickering got cleaned up.
Yeah, the tiges won by 2 points but i was more concerned about the health of Pickers.
It proberly cost him a State Jumper and his career started to go down hill from here.