worth a read - the day Sheeds came to my school | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

worth a read - the day Sheeds came to my school

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I'll never forget the day Kevin Sheedy came to my school when he was playing for the Tigers.

Kevin was actually a friend of the family when I was a kid. He used to live up the road from me when I was living in Caulfield and used to duck into our place once in a while for a swim after his regular jogs around Caulfield park.

I told the kids at my school that I knew Kevin and none of them believed me! I was eight at the time and I got teased quite a lot about it. Anyway one day I went to a Tigers v Swans game at the Lake oval with my Mum who was a Swans member. The tigers thrashed the Swans that day and my Mum wouldn't let me inside the clubhouse as I was proudly wearing my Tiger jumper. ;D

Kevin spotted my Mum and said did you bring Rob today and she said "I Did but He's not coming in here with those blasted colours on!" (my mum was, and still is a very passionate swans fan) Kevin then said "well I'd better go out and say g'day to him! Kevin came out and we had a quick chat about the game and then he said to me..."I'll be coming out to your school next week to conduct a coaching clinic". I said to him "WOW!" as kids do and then proceeded to tell him that none of the kids at school believed that I knew him. Kevin then said to me..."I'll fix that"

The big day came, all the kids crowded around the school entrance as Kevin's car arrived. When he came through the gate, The first thing he did was spot me in the crowd and in a big bellowing voice said "G'DAY ROB!!" It was one of the best days of my life! and in chorus all the naysayers exclaimed..."wow..He does know him". I became quite popular after that! :)

The end

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Great story tiga...are you the kid involved? It would have been a pretty special thing. :)
Corey McKernan was nice enough to exchange letters with my 10-12 yo son a few years ago and invited him up to the North social club and introduced him to players etc.
That scored him a few bits of cake and stuff out of lunch boxes in exchange for telling his mates all about it, ha.
It was a big thing for a kid from the country.