Wrestling memories | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Wrestling memories

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
More ditto.

The return of the Aussie World Championship Wrestling and Roller Derby would be fantastic too.

Surely most of you fellow old codgers remember that.
Gotta love the good old days when the wrestling was real. *smile* the bulldog Brower? King ripper Collins. Mark Lewin. Spiros Arion. Andre the giant. Larry O'Dea.Tex McKenzie. Haystacks Calhoun. The midgets all running around. Plus all the other wrestlers already mentioned.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
More ditto.

The return of the Aussie World Championship Wrestling and Roller Derby would be fantastic too.

Surely most of you fellow old codgers remember that.

Loved Roler Derby ... fantastic stuff.
Was it Larry O'Dea who did the sleeper hold?

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Gotta love the good old days when the wrestling was real. *smile* the bulldog Brower? King ripper Collins. Mark Lewin. Spiros Arion. Andre the giant. Larry O'Dea.Tex McKenzie. Haystacks Calhoun. The midgets all running around. Plus all the other wrestlers already mentioned.

That was my kind of television.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Loved Roler Derby ... fantastic stuff.
Was it Larry O'Dea who did the sleeper hold?
Nah. Mark Lewin. Larry O'Dea was the token Aussie pretty boy among the international cast, along with the referee Wallaby Bob McMaster.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Don't know how this thread turned into wrestling.....anyway.....I got upset as a 10 year old when Larry O'Dea moved from goodie to badie.

Good ol days alright Maso. EJ was a great host and used to go with my Dad to Bendigo St studios to see it live.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Yep TF, LOL, I too loved the wrestling back then . hahahah
You can find it on you tube now.

• Haha

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
My old man once took me to Festival Hall to see the wrestling live on a Saturday night. We were there with several of Dad’s brothers and cousins. They each had one of their kids in tow. So, I’m there with a bunch of my cousins and we were all really excited, jumping out of our skins excited. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was five years old. It was the first time I had ever been to anything like that.

When we reached the turnstiles, I read a sign somewhere that said something like: “Children under 4 get in free.”

Quick as a flash , One of my uncles picked his kid up. He was my older cousin, at least a year older than me, and his Dad carried him through the turnstile without buying a ticket for him. Nothing puts a damper on your night like when your Dad rips your dignity away like this to save some loose change. One by one, they all did the same, plucked their kids into their arms, pretended we were babies and walked through like everything was legit.

When my turn came, I started protesting. “But, Dad, I’m five,. I’m five., don’t you remember?” He shooshed me gently, tucked me under his arm and through we went.

We were all sulking for ages after that. Thank God, there was a midget cage match on the card. We perked up as soon as they came out. How could anyone not?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
My old man once took me to Festival Hall to see the wrestling live on a Saturday night. We were there with several of Dad’s brothers and cousins. They each had one of their kids in tow. So, I’m there with a bunch of my cousins and we were all really excited, jumping out of our skins excited. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was five years old. It was the first time I had ever been to anything like that.

When we reached the turnstiles, I read a sign somewhere that said something like: “Children under 4 get in free.”

Quick as a flash , One of my uncles picked his kid up. He was my older cousin, at least a year older than me, and his Dad carried him through the turnstile without buying a ticket for him. Nothing puts a damper on your night like when your Dad rips your dignity away like this to save some loose change. One by one, they all did the same, plucked their kids into their arms, pretended we were babies and walked through like everything was legit.

When my turn came, I started protesting. “But, Dad, I’m five,. I’m five., don’t you remember?” He shooshed me gently, tucked me under his arm and through we went.

We were all sulking for ages after that. Thank God, there was a midget cage match on the card. We perked up as soon as they came out. How could anyone not?
:mhihi

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
:)
Wasn’t it Killer Kowalski who did the claw hold? My Grandfather would get very upset when he used it on one of the Italian boys like Mario Milano. That’s where he drew the line.

Yep you're right my bad it was Killer Kowalski I think Brute Bernard grunting & thumping his chest.

tbartiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2009
Qld
Was a huge fan as a kid, big into it in the 90s with the NWO and Stone cold at their peaks. Then slowly drifted away until I stopped watching altogether in the mid 2000s.

I have recently found and fallen in love with a group of Irish lads that review old wrestling shows. Not sure if it’s against the rules but check out osw review on you tube.

These guys are hilarious, and while I have no interest in the current product I have fallen in love with wrestling again. Check it out from episode 1, wrestlemania 1 and enjoy the nostalgia trip.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Yepmybad it's 7 for me too. :oops::D

It’s getting to the stage where there are so many of them we are going to have to write them all down so we don’t lose track.

Either that, or we are just getting old.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
It’s getting to the stage where there are so many of them we are going to have to write them all down so we don’t lose track.

Either that, or we are just getting old.
First round in 2020 and those damn and ungracious Blues supporters will probably remind us they have 16 as they did when the 2017 flag was unfurled and their cheer squad tried to humiliate us with their Sweet 16 banner.

So let’s keep counting, fingers and toes as we garner more premierships.

Let the dynasty reign and the Tigers be the envy of all.

None of us is too old to enjoy winning flags!