Yarra council to vote on Richmond Tigers mural: Herald Sun | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Yarra council to vote on Richmond Tigers mural: Herald Sun

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yarra council to vote on Richmond Tigers mural
JOHN MASANAUSKAS, Herald Sun
February 4, 2018 12:00am
Subscriber only
INNER-city ratepayers are set to fund a mural and banners celebrating Richmond’s premiership win.

City of Yarra councillors will vote on Tuesday whether to upgrade a Swan St mural for $4000 and spend almost $10,000 on banners to hang at Richmond Town Hall.

If approved, artist Nick Howson will update the mural near Richmond station to acknowledge the 2017 flag win.

“It is envisaged the mural ... will help enliven the Swan St precinct and attract people to the area,” said a management report to councillors.

The report said the installation of four banners at Richmond Town Hall would be done on an angle so that the flags were not parallel to the building.

The report said that recognition of the Tigers winning the flag “could contribute to residents feeling more connected to the community”.

But management has recommended against taking up an idea to decorate City of Yarra entry points with Tigers colours, “as it would detract away from the respect given to the Aboriginal community in Yarra”.

A quick census search shows there’s 84 indigenous people out of the City of Yarra population of 86,740.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Good journalism to point out simple facts of imbalance of population numbers that a very small minority appear to influencing a decision yet not make a political statement.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Al Bundy said:
Good journalism to point out simple facts of imbalance of population numbers that a very small minority appear to influencing a decision yet not make a political statement.
Disagree. It's typically crap Herald Sun journalism.

Sorry, I just noticed the sarcasm icon you put at the end. :duh

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
poppa x said:
I know we won the flag and I know our home is in Yarra CC.
But I think this is a crap use of ratepayers money.

disagree. I think all council in Victoria should put up Tiger flags and paint murals.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Al Bundy said:
I added the comment that theres 84 indigenous in the COY not the HUN.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
poppa x said:

I think the $4,000 would be well spent on the mural. Great for local identity and community sprit.

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
Rowville...or maybe London
poppa x said:
According to Wiki, City of Yarra has a population of about 86k. That's about 11c per person; or less than a dollar per Richmond Supporter that lives in Yarra.

But the real benefits would be via the tigers fans training it in from beyond Burnley and Caulfield stations. The more they want to hang out in Richmond for brunch, beers or shopping, the better for local businesses.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
after the GF parade, I went down to check out the Dusty mural on the side wall of that milk bar and the local streets were all packed. The amount of people hanging around there wanting to get a look was ridiculous. It will bring people into the area because people wanna see it.