Years since last flag | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Years since last flag

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
St Kilda : 56 years*
Fremantle 27
Carlton 26
Adelaide 24*
North 23*
Essendon 22*
Brisbane 18
Port 18*
Gold Coast 12*
Collingwood 11
GWS 11*
Geelong 10
Sydney 9
Hawthorn 7*
Western bulldogs 6*
West coast 4*
Richmond 2*
Melbourne 0

* includes 2022 season

Brisbane, the great powerhouse of 2001-2004, has now been 18 years with out a flag. So the kids about to get drafted in November this years weren’t born when the Lions last won a flag. It’s already been over a decade since Collingwoods last flag. Geelong a decade. Sydney will probably be a decade at least. It’s already been 7 years since Hawthorns last glory and I’m guessing they too will be at least a decade.

I think the above list shows we will more than likely have to wait at least another 7 or 8 seasons to grab a flag (But as an average Richmond win a flag every 9 seasons).

I think Sheedy was about the only coach to reach the summit again after a previous successful period (some did at a different club) but Hafey didn’t at Richmond , Matthews didn’t at Brisbane, Barassi didn’t at North, Clarkson didn’t at Hawthorn, Blight didn’t at Adelaide, Pagan didn’t at North, Mark Williams didn’t at Port.

I list this as it shows how long it can be between flags (We know, 37 years for us) and how quickly it can get away from you.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Does that then suggest clubs aren’t historically good at letting go of their successful era and moving forward with tough decisions? Keep players too long? Don’t trade them while they’re value is high? Don’t invest in the draft and try to go again with recycled players?

We’re trying to rebuild on the run. Maybe why we’re middle of the table right now

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
A true fact if Flashinthepanbourne don't win this season is that we still remain as the latest greatest. Keep on, keeping on.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Does that then suggest clubs aren’t historically good at letting go of their successful era and moving forward with tough decisions? Keep players too long? Don’t trade them while they’re value is high? Don’t invest in the draft and try to go again with recycled players?

We’re trying to rebuild on the run. Maybe why we’re middle of the table right now
Good discussion topic. Something to add.

It’s hard to invest in the draft when your first pick is pick 20. I think you’d have to go back to Geelong in 2011 to find a premier that didn’t contain at least one top 5 pick and they got Hawkins as a FS and he probably would have been pick 1 otherwise.

Overall, I think the system is working as intended. No one stays up for ever (except Geelong but there are other factors there) and it’s about making the most of your time at the top when it comes and minimizing your time at the bottom when that inevitably arrives.

On further reflection, it scares me to think that Carlton with all their accumulated talent are likely to win a premiership in the next couple of years.

Reactions: 1 user

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Have to make hay whilst the sun in shining.
we didn’t win 1 we got 3
how good was that…

Reactions: 4 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Tough call on Tommy. Didn't really get a chance at another era. he went back to back 73 74. Preliminary 75. Missed finals 76 and was effectively sacked. I am pretty sure he would have coached the 80 flag if still there and maybe one or two others. If he could get a middling pie outfit to GFs in 77 79 80 81 he still had it.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Have to make hay whilst the sun in shining.
we didn’t win 1 we got 3
how good was that…
Seems we don't do things by halves.
Apart from 1943 & 80 we do it in lumps.
20/21
32/34
67/69/73/74
17/19/20

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Our history is one of long periods of mediocrity interspersed with dynastic years.
From 27 to 44 ....missed only a couple of final series and multiple GFs. Didn't get enougn flags ... 3 only. (Though in that era the expansion teams were basket cases so final 4 was really best of 9 teams... but we were always threatening)

Other clubs have hung around year in year out near top of ladder. It's only last 25 years the pies have had extended absences in September.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Seems we don't do things by halves.
Apart from 1943 & 80 we do it in lumps.
20/21
32/34
67/69/73/74
17/19/20
BG made mention of this on Friday before the game.
the chief is big on history and I sense the club and him are aware of what not to do..
time will tell.

Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Tough call on Tommy. Didn't really get a chance at another era. he went back to back 73 74. Preliminary 75. Missed finals 76 and was effectively sacked. I am pretty sure he would have coached the 80 flag if still there and maybe one or two others. If he could get a middling pie outfit to GFs in 77 79 80 81 he still had it.

I agree with what you say 22, particularly in regard to the hypothesis regarding Tommy Hafey and the likelihood of him achieving further success had he not resigned from Richmond.

If the discussion is now pivoting to coaches rather than clubs, it can reasonably be said that both Barassi and Matthews are exceptional. Each coached two different clubs to premierships, while in Barassi’s case, he won multiple flags at different clubs.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
To be fair Hafey was never sacked, he walked.
Board voted to keep him except G.Richmond who voted no.
Said if G.Richmond didn’t back him, then no point in staying.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Truth speaker 7. Yes Tommy knew who the King maker was at Punt Rd.
Lucky the internet and PRE didn't exist then.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Quite correct 7.
That’s why I said he resigned from Richmond.