Yes we can | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Yes we can

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
mld said:
His only problem is his grasp on the centre will risk alienating large tracts of the Republican base vote.

Its their election though, so how the US media/electorate reacts needs to be appreciated.

rosy23 said:
Not interested in how others' thoughts are perceived, I was saying what I think myself.

Agree, but thats where the right running mate can help.

That being said, if he gets a dud like former greats of Edwards or Quayle he will be dead in the water.

You would assume its a choice between Huckabee and Romney, so it will be interesting to see if shoring up his conservative social cred or economic cred will take priority.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
I thought something didn't make sense :rofl

I agree with your thought's on his potential running mate, it will be interesting to see which way he goes. Depends if he wants to turn his guns fully on the democrats or if he needs to spend energy appeasing his base.

newyorktiger

Last Year
1. Unclear. He makes nice speeches, but as T74 says thee is little substance in which he is fundamentally different to Hill.

2. Unclea/probable

3. Unclear. I personally think he means well in Iraq. I just don't think it is the correct course of action. Maybe his personal experiences in Vietnam taught him something.

Like the last couple of elections, I also think this one will be close. Few of things to consider:
a) How much will the nut-job evangelicals look the other way to vote a Republican in
b) How much dirt is buried in Obama's past. He is a pot smoker, and a Chicago politician, a potentially lethal mix. Will his past get distorted as Kerry's Vietnam past was?
c) Will Obama provide real substance, and if so will it stand up to scrutiny
d) Will McCain's volatile personality show itself during the campaign.
e) How will Iraq be when voting time comes.
f) When it comes to the crunch, will this country allow a minority to lead the country

I also have to add that ATM obama is getting a free ride from most media outlets (compared to Hill). They love him. Will it continue?

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
New York Tiger said:
b) How much dirt is buried in Obama's past. He is a pot smoker, and a Chicago politician, a potentially lethal mix. Will his past get distorted as Kerry's Vietnam past was?

The GOP this week unlocked the cellar and brought out their old mate Karl Rove. Apparently he has the fun little job of doing exactly what you just mentioned.

Given Rove's track record, this could get interesting

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Karl Rove is viscious.

He savaged McCain in the previous convention,which suggests McCain isn't a bad ol' stick(as far as GOP's go)

If Karl Rove hates you,you must be doin' something right.

t-rob

Exterminate Exterminate
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
New York Tiger said:
1. Unclear. He makes nice speeches, but as T74 says thee is little substance in which he is fundamentally different to Hill.

2. Unclea/probable

3. Unclear. I personally think he means well in Iraq. I just don't think it is the correct course of action. Maybe his personal experiences in Vietnam taught him something.

Like the last couple of elections, I also think this one will be close. Few of things to consider:
a) How much will the nut-job evangelicals look the other way to vote a Republican in
c) Will Obama provide real substance, and if so will it stand up to scrutiny
d) Will McCain's volatile personality show itself during the campaign.
e) How will Iraq be when voting time comes.
f) When it comes to the crunch, will this country allow a minority to lead the country

I also have to add that ATM obama is getting a free ride from most media outlets (compared to Hill). They love him. Will it continue?

Yes he can.

Yes they can.

It's time.

A new era awaits.

We are watching history in the making, be awed.

:wavey

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
t-rob said:
Yes he can.

Yes they can.

It's time.

A new era awaits.

We are watching history in the making, be awed.

:wavey

Unfortunately Troble, this seems to be the reason he's getting votes - he's black. The same as Mrs Clinton - she's female.

I am by no means fully up with US politics so I may be way off the mark here, but this campaign seems less about policies and more about creating history than ever before.

newyorktiger

Last Year
Freezer said:
Unfortunately Troble, this seems to be the reason he's getting votes - he's black. The same as Mrs Clinton - she's female.

I am by no means fully up with US politics so I may be way off the mark here, but this campaign seems less about policies and more about creating history than ever before.

It is on the Democratic side, because the current white male President is considered an abysmal failure by them.

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
NYT - the feeling here in the political anaylst circles is that Obama is being compared to John F Kennedy during the late 50's early 60's - a new beginning, freshness, honesty, hope - an age of Camelot etc, etc.

Is that the feeling over your way? If so, that is a juggernaut that is very hard to stop.................

newyorktiger

Last Year
Hey RT – Sorry for the delay. Work issues which delayed a deserved longer response. Could have only given a one line wise-crack till now.

What you would consider the democrat friendly media outlets are certainly trying to compare him to JFK, and I believe less critical of him than Hill. Supposedly there are a couple of reasons for that – they are swept up in the aura, and none of the democrat leaning outlets want to be the one seen kicking a minority with a serious chance at leading the country. What I find most interesting is the lack of criticism by the right leaning media (more on that later)

I was watching Bill Maher recently, and a guest came up with the comparison to Jackie Robinson – the first black Major league baseball player – outstanding at what he does, and not offensive to the white community. That’s what makes the recent hiccup with his pastor so interesting to neutral observors.

Obama’s biggest selling point to me is the new beginning. People I talk to here are fatigued by W. W has not had a grip on a number of important issues (Iraq, New Orleans, the economy – I would argue most of it is out of his hands, energy, climate change) Obama would offfer a fresh perspective.

Lack of criticism by the right leaning media –
A couple of reasons for that I believe:
1. they are saving it for when he is the democratic nominee
2. Releasing the stuff is not having the effect it would like
3. Fox News is actually losing in the ratings to CNN for the first time in a while. Maybe people are tiring of their “hysteria” and just want news
4. they want obama to be the nominee. They think an old white guy has a good chance against a young black guy. This is the cynic in me talking.

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
New York Tiger said:
Hey RT – Sorry for the delay. Work issues which delayed a deserved longer response. Could have only given a one line wise-crack till now.

What you would consider the democrat friendly media outlets are certainly trying to compare him to JFK, and I believe less critical of him than Hill. Supposedly there are a couple of reasons for that – they are swept up in the aura, and none of the democrat leaning outlets want to be the one seen kicking a minority with a serious chance at leading the country. What I find most interesting is the lack of criticism by the right leaning media (more on that later)

I was watching Bill Maher recently, and a guest came up with the comparison to Jackie Robinson – the first black Major league baseball player – outstanding at what he does, and not offensive to the white community. That’s what makes the recent hiccup with his pastor so interesting to neutral observors.

Obama’s biggest selling point to me is the new beginning. People I talk to here are fatigued by W. W has not had a grip on a number of important issues (Iraq, New Orleans, the economy – I would argue most of it is out of his hands, energy, climate change) Obama would offfer a fresh perspective.

Lack of criticism by the right leaning media –
A couple of reasons for that I believe:
1. they are saving it for when he is the democratic nominee
2. Releasing the stuff is not having the effect it would like
3. Fox News is actually losing in the ratings to CNN for the first time in a while. Maybe people are tiring of their “hysteria” and just want news
4. they want obama to be the nominee. They think an old white guy has a good chance against a young black guy. This is the cynic in me talking.

On the right wing media, my take on it is they are keeping their powder dry for two reasons:

1) the main fight is not fill after the primaries, and viewer interest in this stuff will only increase closer to November

2) The Dems are doing the dirty work for them at the moment, so for once they get to sit back and act impartial

Given the past 2 weeks, esp the loss of Michigan and Florida, I think Hillary's race is done. In a contest between Obama and McCain, once the republican dirt machine gets rolling, I would be surprised if Obama can get up nationally. McCain's dirty linen is well and truly out there, I think the GOP and the media are yet to seriously start on Obama, and it will be interesting to see if the halo survives till November.

Everyone goes on about JFK, but would he have gotten over the line if the well know infidelities he had back then were reported? The media made JFK a saint, and protected him (as they did most poli's) from exposing his darker side. The media is not so friendly these days, and the only thing they love more than building up a saint is tearing one down.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
t-rob said:
I was wondering whether anybody else thinks that...

1. Barack Obama is the only hope of the free world.

2. Hilary Clinton is a power hungry b!tch that only pretended to forgive her husband for political reasons.

3. John McCain is an evil warmonger

I have never agreed with anything so absolutely.

Except that carlton are evil and richmond are the greatest