Your biggest stories | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Your biggest stories

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
With almost 40 years of following this mighty club and the VFL/AFL
What are the biggest stories over that period?
Mine are
1) Matthews the (so called GOAT) breaks Neville Bruns jaw.
2) Dustin Martin
3)Justin Charles suspended for taking steroids
4) Nathan Brown choosing Richmond
5) Cloke & Raines going to Collingwood
6) Essendon drug saga
7) Fitzroy going broke
8) Carlton getting caught salary cap cheating
9) lynch choosing Richmond
10) lockett going to Sydney
11) Castagna signing on for a further 2 years in 2019
12) Carey's exit out of North
13) Richmond's SOS in 1989-1990
14)The passing of Greats Hafey & Dyer
15) The selling off of VFL park to make the shittest football stadium in the world
16) KB getting sacked in 91
17) Maxfield leaving in 1995 and Ottens in 2005
18) Nathan Brown's broken leg
19) South Melbourne going to Sydney
20) Kevin Sheedy getting the ass

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The fight at half time in 1974 at Windy Hill was a massive story.
Players, including reserve players and officials all got involved, Graham Richmond was suspended for the rest of the season.
The Mighty Tigers won the game and the fight.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The fight at half time in 1974 at Windy Hill was a massive story.
Players, including reserve players and officials all got involved, Graham Richmond was suspended for the rest of the season.
The Mighty Tigers won the game and the fight.
I've seen it 10000 times but i wasn't old enough to understand it in 1974.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Silvio Foschini's restraint of trade court action was a massive story and it gave birth to many of the trade and draft mechanisms we have in place today.

Barry Hall's disgusting hit on Brent Staker, one of the last truly violent acts on a footy field. Also, still can't believe he managed to get off the striking charge in the 2005 prelim to the play in the Swans' grand final win. Outrageous.

Ross Lyon walking out on St Kilda to join Freo.

Lance Franklin choosing Sydney and not GWS, reigniting the COLA controversy and resulting in the Swans getting punitive trade penalties.

Carlton cheating the salary cap was scandalous and, it's arguable, they still feel the effects of the sanctions today.

On a similar theme, Melbourne is still paying for its tanking efforts ... and the fact they chose Scully and Trengove before Dusty.

Bomber Thompson's fall from grace was pretty shocking, as was the death of Alisha Horan in Gary Ablett Snr's company.

The Count and Damian Barrett, in their 2016 'Wash up' video on the AFL website, telling Richmond to take pick 6 to the draft rather than trade it for Dion Prestia. Choice quote from The Count: "They need to start the rebuild again, Damo. There are massive concerns at Richmond." And this, from the Purple Peanut: "I just don't see any great bright future for them at this time."

Adam Goodes being run out of the game by ignorant supporters and their cheerleaders in the AFL and the media.

Mick Malthouse getting the lemon and sars in favour of Bucks.

Expansion teams on the Gold Coast and in Western Sydney but still no love for Tasmania or the NT.

The horrific loss of Phil Walsh.

Ben Cousins coming to Richmond was an incredible story. His life post-football is a sad story.

Reactions: 8 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Eddie McGuire's resigning at the 2021 with his reputation in the sewer.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Carey leaving North is easily the biggest footy story I've seen I think. Followed by Essendon.

Richmond wise, Save our skins, Hogg leaving and Cousins arriving.
Is that bigger then lockett leaving Stkilda, Buddy leaving Hawthorn and Cloke/Raines leaving for Collingwood?

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
Alan Schwab dying from an OD

The demise of Fitzroy

The expansion from VFL to AFL

VFL Park been sold off

Peter Motley's car accident

Spud committing Hari Kari

Ablett Snr and Alicia Horan

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Some good ones thus far..a few more.

- Peggy O'Neal & Brendon Gale sticking fat & not sacking Hardwick at the end of 2016.

- Marlion Pickett Grand Final debut & accompanying story.

- AFLW

- Darren Millane being killed in a car accident (DUI).

- Graham Polak being hit by a tram.

- Concussion research.

- Mental health awareness & discussion.

- James Hird's fall from Golden Boy to leper. Coupled with Jab Watson being stripped of his Brownlow.

- Dylan Grimes traveling to Germany to have calf blood injected into his troublesome hamstring.

Reactions: 5 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
From a Richmond perspective, the Wallace & Northey sackings. Cousins coming over and of course the drought breaking 2017 flag.
From a general footy sense:
Carey leaving North and the circumstances around it.
The Blight sacking at St. Kilda.
Essendon drugs saga.

Reactions: 1 user