Your Greatest Tiger memory ever… | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Your Greatest Tiger memory ever…

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I have neve been as in awe, giddy, proud and just all round pumped to witness a performance as I was with Dusty in the grand final Vs Geelol.

2017 was amazing for all the reasons stated before me dont get me wrong, but beating Geelol who thought they had us at half time (and to be honest I thought we were done as well) was my best ever feeling.

In 2007 they smacked us into oblivion and it took the better part of a decade to beat them. They made us a laughing stock, made people feel more pitty than they ever had.

I am a firm believer that grand final losses ruin teams, so to escape that was so satisfying.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Save Our Skins 1990

2017 Finals -

QF - getting a plaque in France for my great grandfather put up on a church and checking the scores.

PF - sitting beside the grand canal in Venice with dodgy phone reception in my footy socks.

GF - back in France up at 5am. Uncle Bob rising at half time and me saying "I think we've got them".

Reactions: 4 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
The day Jack Riewoldt kicked ten against the Eagles.

Went from ”we might have a good one here” to “how good will this bloke end up?”

Seeing players breakout is a great thing to witness. And it never stops happening.

Reckon Baker did a bit of that Saturday night as a mid.
jack kicking ten was magic, i was very fortunate to be on the ground that day,
i was giving him powerade and suggested to him in the 2nd quarter he will kick double figures

Reactions: 1 user

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
i worked at the club for 13 years , plenty of inner sanctum stuff were highlights, the interstate trips, training, etc
but sitting next to the GWS cheer squad at the 2019 Grand Final was so good,
we were celebrating from half time , they were quite feral surprisingly before the game , but that soon stopped lol
To actually be at the G and watching the Tigers win the 2019 Premiership so comfortably was the ultimate for me !

Reactions: 6 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Ripper Thread!!

Like most the month of September 2017 was a nirvana that Leysy will never reach in his lifetime again.

From the unplanned booing of Geelong when they ran out, to the doubts in all Tigers from previous finals failures at half time, then dialling the pressure up in the second half to start one of the greatest era’s in football history.

The Pre-Final is easily the second most enjoyable/emotional game Leysy has been experienced. It was a scorching day, twilight start so Richmond was absolutely heaving pre game. Remember being in the London and the atmosphere was electric.

Recent Ex-players like Newman, Sugar Johnson, Ray Hall, Chaplin etc all there to see if we do what they were unfortunately unable to. Met Spook for the first time from memory as well. Just told Leysy to look for the tall fella!

At the game, the crowd, the noise. Wow. Also remember the emotion when it finally dawned Leysy wouldn’t be at a BBQ watching two other teams in the big one. It would be us there.

Then the hunt for a ticket….*smile* the nerves seeing if could land one. Had a few irons in the fire, then the call mid Sunday afternoon from a famous ex-poster here many know Missing33 that he had scored a spare and yelled down the phone, we're going to the Grand Final!! We’re in!! More tears welling up…. OK tears flowing.

Then the week, the nerves. How can you concentrate on work. The parade – Leysy took his 5 y.o daughter he was mad for the Tiges then and still is now. Just about the only child Leysy knows who will sit mesmerised for the duration of any game the Tiges are on, even then. No screens, paper, pens etc needed to occupy time. Just the game.

Anyway, the parade just heightened the tension even more seeing Chimp keep his hands on the Cup. The volume of people was incredible. Also remember going for a burger with Charli in Swan St after and sitting next to an Adelaide couple asking us about our chances and if we can be competitive. Just replied we will be mate…but being confident inside we’d be more than that.

Then game day…deliberately had just one beer for the day, wanted to remember it all and soak it in and not miss any of it. After Adelaide started sharply just wanted us to stay in the game, then sure enough we started turning the game around like we’ve done so many times since. During the second quarter when we knew we were right in the match was so nervous remember thinking this isn’t actually enjoyable at all. Too bloody shaky. Then the 3rd qtr onslaught when unthinkable was within touching distance.

Then the tears, the hugs after the siren of a never felt before sensation. Surreal. Stayed and watched the Killers, but got stuck in the race by security going to see some mates on the ground and had to stay one spot from the ground. Was right on the race where the players came up the tunnel. Leysy’s hoarse voice rasping out congrats as the players came past. Made for a great video ha!

Only regret missed Swan St, went to Uitgang bar on Bridge Rd to meet Missing and Co again (we knew owner so can get in) Ripper bar. All Tigers. Remember walking in – it was like an outer body experience as some sense of what had happened kicked in. Was like your legs were literally floating above the ground. Will never forget it.

Then the party!! Bloody hell! A million renditions of the song at Uitgang with everyone a new best mate. Then Swan St, got into Bar 9T4 doing shoey’s until booted from there at close, then rang a good friend who knew would still be out. At a house party in St Kilda they said, come along! Rock in…walk in here’s David Neitz, Andrew Leoncelli and other ex Dee players kicking on. What. A. Party! Pulled stumps at 7am…Time for home.

Out again at 10am, Uber back into Punt Rd Oval. Remember knowing we were going back to Uitgang to crack some good red after Punt Rd oval visit. Grabbed a bottle of 1999 Yalumba Shiraz worth any amount from wine rack on way out. Not sure what the driver thought when I rolled out of the house at that time carrying a bottle ha! Then when got to the oval, in my haze thought *smile* I wont be able to bring that into the ground so ran behind the Cricketers Arms and stashed it under an old bush in the car park bahaha!

Then post Punt road oval celebrations - weary head and all, searched for bottle, finally found tree, got it! Replay on at the Uitgang sipping hundreds, maybe thousands of $$$ worth of red all arvo, then end up on a dance floor in St Kilda until 3am – still in RFC jumper over a shirt ha!

Time for kebab and sleep. Remember getting a call to join some PRE royalty at the London on Monday, but even Leysy was cooked by then. Content on the couch.

What a time!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
. Remember getting a call to join some PRE royalty at the London on Monday, but even Leysy was cooked by then. Content on the couch.

What a time!

great stuff leysy.

that Monday session at the London was something else.

several tables were perpetually packed with brimming jugs.

I remember quietly laughing to myself 'our cup runneth over', and expecting Snorri Sturlenson to walk in in a richmond jumper with a dressed wild boar over his shoulder

we formed a circle and busted out out one of the best renditions of Tigerland ive ever been involved with.

Dustys uncle, and his presumably Gold Coast-reared wife, took photos of us,

as if they were gonna send them to David Attenborough.

If you were editing a pictorial coffee table book of the history of PRE, I think that shot would have to come under strong consideration for the cover.

Im pretty sure me and snake and EZJ missed our plane home that night, and stayed another week.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
fast forward 3 years, and we'd won the 2020 flag on the Gabba.

very different vibe. there's nothing like The London or Swan St in far northern Richmond.

we still managed to drink all night. even got some illegal dance moves in.

At dawn, it dawned on me that Id won a years pay,

and declared our party would eat a truly premiership breakfast.

so our group went down to riverside quay and hammered on the door of an obviously high class seafood joint.

the abalone suckering on the side of a fishtank full of lobsters is always a giveaway.

anyway, they said were not open for another hour, but I gave the waiter a few green notes and said, just bring us espresso martinis 'till the grill warms up, we're here for the long haul.

after a few round of them, and some margaritas and Moscow mules,

I persuaded our, by now, very compliant waiter to select the largest lobster he could catch in the tank and have the cook make a ceviche from its tail,

and serve it on a bed of oysters with a side of tiger's milk. as an entrée

the waiter laughed and went lobster fishing. he came back and whispered in my ear

'its a monster sir. our scales only go to 3kg. Its tipped the scales'

I said 'yeah, dusty does that too.'

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Nothing will beat 2017 GF. Nor the 3 finals in 2017.

2019 GF was a tiger carnival, great seats behind the goals.

2020 GF was unique watching a tigers premiership on the telly with great tiger mates. Followed by the replay. Not the same experience but an absolute sense of pride in the team and easily the best contest of the 3 GF's.

Obviously the common thread is beating Geelong in each finals series. Again all tough, high quality finals. Ironically the fact that Geelong hasn't won a premiership for 10 years slightly diminishes what otherwise have been unbelievably high-quality, rumble in the jungle type games.

And also to highlight the 2013 EF when the team ran out onto the ground. Unfortunately the inexperienced team got over-awed by the occasion. Ironically the same core of players which are now Richmond-legend.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
2020 was quite strange. I watched on TV and had my daughter and her BF on Zoom. Luckily she has a BF who is also a Richmond supporter.

I think he may have seen a bit of my feral side that evening!

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Hard to split the 2017 Prelim v the 2017 GF.

90,000 Richmond supporters. sitting next to the cheersquad. everyone bawling their eyes out knowing we were going to the GF. I have never cried so much at a footy game.

Then being at the MCG to see us hold up the cup for the first time in my football life after a lifetime of failure.

seeing that they were 7 days apart, you could almost combine them as one memory.

Reactions: 4 users