Zantuck | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Zantuck

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The clown is suing the club for a million dollars because of epidurals he received during his playing days.

I can attest from first hand experience what a grub this guy is. As shady as they come.
My understanding is he thought he was injecting something different, and was disappointed when he found out it was just pain killers.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I don't think that really matters.

Builders agreed to use asbestos.

Pregnant mothers agreed to take Thalydamide.

we all agreed to use electricity produced from burning coal.
Yeh, I'm staggered at the immediate backlash against him. What he has done outside of football is irrelevant to this story. I'd like to think there is such a thing as a duty of care from anyone in authority. There was nothing but compassion/understanding for Rod Owen's plight yet Ty is a an underserving *smile*?

Sometimes players need to be protected from themselves. It's a bit like a tax agent allowing fraudulent claims by clients and blaming them for lodging dodgy claims.

Surprised IanG appearing to suggest if he agreed to the injections he has to share the blame?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeh, I'm staggered at the immediate backlash against him. What he has done outside of football is irrelevant to this story. I'd like to think there is such a thing as a duty of care from anyone in authority. There was nothing but compassion/understanding for Rod Owen's plight yet Ty is a an underserving *smile*?

Its because Richmond is the alleged baddy.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Sometimes players need to be protected from themselves. It's a bit like a tax agent allowing fraudulent claims by clients and blaming them for lodging dodgy claims.

Surprised IanG appearing to suggest if he agreed to the injections he has to share the blame?
There's no way we can know how things played out, but presumably Zantuck was keen to play when he was given the injections.

For a bloke with a bad back, he certainly gave Mark "The Rifleman" Williams a decent shake-up in his last Richmond game. Was pretty good as an undersized full back in 2002.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
We live in a litigious world where any problem in your life is someone else’s fault and they must be held responsible if not morally then financially.
I feel for Ty, clearly put his body through the ringer just to play footy but at what point does the responsibility lay with the patient and not the doctor. Did his parents ever say anything?
I suspect the club will come to a confidential settlement of some sort.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

yeah, normally i would agree. Clubs certainly owe a 'duty of care' to the young men, and now women, who represent them and should help protect them from themselves at times.

just not for Ty Zantuck, cos he is a prick (allegedly).

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Rod Owen story shows that clubs have a duty of care to players.

But years of running with a notorious crime family will have lifestyle issues.

bandoftigers

Tiger Cub
Oct 29, 2007
It looks like he is claiming to have been diagnosed with bulging discs and stress fractures in 2001, and has had pain since. The bulging discs are clinically irrelevant, but if he had stress fractures that he developed while training and playing AFL and has ongoing pain, he would be entitled to compensation, but I would’ve thought there would be an AFL way of handling that.

I’m not quite sure how the epidural injections come into his claim unless he is trying to argue that he was given the injections to allow him to keep playing when he should’ve been advised to rest and allow the fractures to heal, and he now has chronic pain due to the way it was managed. If this is the case, and he can prove it, then he probably stands a good chance of winning and I would expect some kind of settlement to be reached.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
He wanted a career in footy so needed the legal injections to help him achieve that. His career is long over so it seems as it was Richmond's fault and they forced him to have the injections when it would have been easy to say no and walk away from footy

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
If we’re in the wrong, we’re in the wrong. At least we know the club will comply with whatever the courts decide. No wonder he didn’t sue Essendon.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
The Rod Owen story shows that clubs have a duty of care to players.

But years of running with a notorious crime family will have lifestyle issues.

Prima facie there appears to be a vast difference between Owen and Zantuck, they really don't appear to be comparable, and what about Essendon's liability he would have had very similar painkillers there.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Doc Reid put his misgivings regarding the doping regime on the record to management and was ignored. Probably the only person to come out of it with his reputation intact.
Doc Reid was at Richmond from 1976-1979. Followed Sheedy over to the Don's in '82. He learnt his best stuff at Richmond perhaps? :oops: :bash Well Sheedy did anyway ;)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We live in a litigious world where any problem in your life is someone else’s fault and they must be held responsible if not morally then financially.
I feel for Ty, clearly put his body through the ringer just to play footy but at what point does the responsibility lay with the patient and not the doctor. Did his parents ever say anything?
I suspect the club will come to a confidential settlement of some sort.

I assume he was over 18 when most of these treatments occurred so what his parents said or not doesn't seem relevant.

It's his right to seek legal recourse.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Does anyone know who the club doctor was at the time? Without naming names, did he move on to a couple of other clubs and has subsequently found himself moved on from the profession?

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I read elsewhere that it was Chris Bradshaw.
yep, Bradshaw lost his licence last year, you can google his name what he did, not really nice, but it states in the articles I read re this case, Dr Chris Hickey is named as well, he's a current Richmond club Dr.