Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Yeah I’m gonna walk back my disinterested comment, probs too harsh.

Still good in close, just a genius shimmy.

But I feel he’s not getting across the park.

I wonder how long bulls like him last into their 30s

Yeah I know Leigh matthews made hay as a forward in later years but footy has changed a lot. Stay at home forward is a tough, tough ask for him

Reactions: 1 users
Not happy. Shaking his head and having a few words to the blokes on the bench.
The king shouldn't be put through this shiit.
The club had enough draft picks and assets to keep us challenging.
They bent us over and made our best ever player lose his passion for the game.
He shouldve been in a team with Allen Danieis A Viking and enjoying his last years at the club.

Yze’s comments were interesting in the press conference. Dusty would leave a great legacy helping the kids develop. How much satisfaction he gets from that will probably determine the timing of his retirement (I can’t see him going anywhere else).

What a ride it has been.

Yze added over the next 2 or 3 years in that comment. So Yze is hoping the big man continues

Reactions: 3 users
Stats down across the board but notably tackling numbers at a career low & last in the club for one percenters.

Hate being critical of a champ who's given us everything but it's really noticeable at the ground how little work he's doing defensively.
Looks to be barely even trying to apply pressure. It's frustrating to watch tbh & doesn't set a good example for younger players.
Fine when you're one of the best offensive players in the comp you an get away with that but it's a bit much in his current form.
Maybe it's a coincidence but the one win we've had this year was against Sydney when Dusty didn't play. Our pressure overall was never better that day this season to date.

Dusty really needs to lift in this area.

Reactions: 12 users
Maybe we can create a new role for Dusty.
The Youth Coaching sub
He could sit on the bench coaching the kids and play as a sub for 50% of the games in 2025
3 x year contract
The Greatest Tiger of them all.
Imagine the roar when Dusty comes on!!
The marketing $$$ would be worth it.
The pressure would be off Dusty.
He would be the Face of the club and a bridge to the next dynasty.

Stats down across the board but notably tackling numbers at a career low & last in the club for one percenters.

Hate being critical of a champ who's given us everything but it's really noticeable at the ground how little work he's doing defensively.
Looks to be barely even trying to apply pressure. It's frustrating to watch tbh & doesn't set a good example for younger players.
Fine when you're one of the best offensive players in the comp you an get away with that but it's a bit much in his current form.
Maybe it's a coincidence but the one win we've had this year was against Sydney when Dusty didn't play. Our pressure overall was never better that day this season to date.

Yep. Even at his peak he needed plenty of gut runners around him to allow him to play his devastating role. They’re pretty much all gone now. This would be the biggest attraction of Hardwicks new toys.

Reactions: 1 user

Yep, never want to criticise the great man but for where we are at the moment with our development we need all 23 players to run and chase and pressure. This was never a strength of his in his prime but now it really stands out especially when he plays fwd where we need players chasing hard and high all game. People say he should play deep fwd like Leigh Mathews did but back then the fwd didn't need to chase. He should be played in contest to contest attending all CBs and following the rucks at stoppages.

some other senior players on that list that should be embarrassed as well.

In the warm up routine I couldn't tell if it were his "waddling" gait or injury, but he looked rough as guts.

Thinking to myself at 32 I was feeling the best I ever felt. He ain't old, but maybe his back is *smile*.

In the warm up routine I couldn't tell if it were his "waddling" gait or injury, but he looked rough as guts.

Thinking to myself at 32 I was feeling the best I ever felt. He ain't old, but maybe his back is *smile*.
i think he has finally become the 'waddler' that Dermie predicted. i think he can still go when he has to, but once tiredness hits, or when he is just jogging at less than 100% pace he does not look fluid at all.

Yep. Even at his peak he needed plenty of gut runners around him to allow him to play his devastating role. They’re pretty much all gone now. This would be the biggest attraction of Hardwicks new toys.
If you listen to Hardwick at the Suns, he relentlessly talks up how 'coachable' this young group is.. Feel he is enjoying being 'heard' again

• Sad
Maybe we can create a new role for Dusty.
The Youth Coaching sub
He could sit on the bench coaching the kids and play as a sub for 50% of the games in 2025
3 x year contract
The Greatest Tiger of them all.
Imagine the roar when Dusty comes on!!
The marketing $$$ would be worth it.
The pressure would be off Dusty.
He would be the Face of the club and a bridge to the next dynasty.
I feel he needs to keep playing on. You forget he hasn't the quality mids and forwards around him. He can't do it all, needs the talls and mids back.

He also had 3 pressure acts for the game last weekend. 3 in 92 minutes.
His lack of effort defensively is noticeable & telling.
I don't need stats though. I can see it with my eyes.

This is what I think will happen.

If he is still playing, the media will be all over him in the last 6 games. Gold Coast, Dimma, blah, blah, blah :poop:

He will and should shun them like the lepers they are.

This will be his last season playing AFL. He will honour the club and the Tiger Army by announcing it on Richmond FC only, and it will be done 48 hours after his last game so the parasite AFL media clause has no effect and they have no claim on him. Every one on bizarro planet AFL will want a piece of him.

He will not want any fanfare and will sail off into his life without even a look back at the AFL. Chimp will know it is happening.

He is possibly the only one that Dustin may sit down with for a casual recorded chat for some parting coin.

I couldn’t care if he ever spoke publicly after he pulls the pin. I probably wouldn’t watch it anyway. It will be awkward like every other media thing he has been required to do. He owes me nothing. I owe Dustin Martin a debt that cannot be paid.

I will remember watching him play to the end of my days as one of the greatest and speak of him with the same awe as I do of Tommy, KB, and Royce.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users