Matthew Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Clarke

National Draft picks since 2017

Jack Higgins
Callum Coleman-Jones
Noah Balta
Patrick Naish
Ben Miller

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser Turner
Luke English

Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon

Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli Jr.

Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green

Kane McAuliffe
Liam Fawcett

Jack Higgins
Callum Coleman-Jones
Noah Balta
Patrick Naish
Ben Miller

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser Turner
Luke English

Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon

Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli Jr.

Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green

Kane McAuliffe
Liam Fawcett
Really fell off a cliff from 2018 onward. When Jack Ross is your most successful draftee in that period you are going to struggle.

Also worth mentioning the lack of rookie picks taken in that period too.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately it looks like a black hole on the list since 2018. He got the Eagles job just in time. Matt and Meehan were probably the two worst appointments in Benny's time at the club.

Reactions: 2 users
Really fell off a cliff from 2018 onward. When Jack Ross is your most successful draftee in that period you are going to struggle.

I'm starting to question Fawcet now. Why injured already???

The 17 one stands out.
We missed sooo many, Taylor, Daniels, The Viking and Sammy Taylor.
2 Of those instead of Higgins and CCJ we would be ok

Jack Higgins
Callum Coleman-Jones
Noah Balta
Patrick Naish
Ben Miller

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser Turner
Luke English

Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon

Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli Jr.

Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green

Kane McAuliffe
Liam Fawcett
Aced 2020. I reckon 2021 will look pretty good in a few years. 2017 he drafted 3, potentially 4 AFL footballers.
2019 he drafter the best player in the VFL. And in 2018 he drafter a good mid with pick 40ish.
2023 he drafted a probably Brownlow medalist in the 40s, and we all love his 2 late selections in 2022.

I guess we should wait for the Punt Rd redevelopment to be completed before we build a statue.

Reactions: 1 user

Jack Higgins
Callum Coleman-Jones
Noah Balta
Patrick Naish
Ben Miller

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser Turner
Luke English

Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon

Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli Jr.

Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green

Kane McAuliffe
Liam Fawcett
My daughter asked me last night, how come we have gone from really good to really bad so quickly. This list is the answer

• Haha
In the 2021 draft of Gibcus, brown, sonsie, banks and clarke.

How much better would our team look with these two Jake Soligo of Adelaide and Sam Durham of Essendon, both right under our noses in our VFL team. Durham and Soligo have both taken their games to another level.

JAKE SOLIGO
The Eastern Ranges/Dromana Football Club product was selected with pick No.36 at the 2021 AFL National Draft. Soligo averaged 23 touches throughout 2021 with the Eastern Ranges and powered through the final three matches with an average of 27 disposals a game. Known for his two-way work rate and quick skills around the contest, Soligo formed a lethal partnership with his teammates up forward. Soligo made his AFL debut with the Crows against Fremantle in Round One, 2022, and went on to line up in 16 matches in 2022. Soligo continued that form into 2023, playing 21 games and averaging 16.5 disposals.

SAM DURHAM
The winger has continued to flourish since being taken in 2021’s mid-season draft, appearing in 22 out of a possible 23 games last season. A hard runner with clean skills, Durham gave Bombers fans a moment to savour in round 10 with a game-winning goal in the final 10 seconds against the Tigers.

• Sad
The Eagles can have him, hopefully he destroys their list.

My daughter asked me last night, how come we have gone from really good to really bad so quickly. This list is the answer
So far only 1 player on that list of 24 odd has achieved anything - Balta.

How much better would our team look with these two Jake Soligo of Adelaide and Sam Durham of Essendon, both right under our noses in our VFL team. Durham and Soligo have both taken their games to another level.

JAKE SOLIGO
The Eastern Ranges/Dromana Football Club product was selected with pick No.36 at the 2021 AFL National Draft. Soligo averaged 23 touches throughout 2021 with the Eastern Ranges and powered through the final three matches with an average of 27 disposals a game. Known for his two-way work rate and quick skills around the contest, Soligo formed a lethal partnership with his teammates up forward. Soligo made his AFL debut with the Crows against Fremantle in Round One, 2022, and went on to line up in 16 matches in 2022. Soligo continued that form into 2023, playing 21 games and averaging 16.5 disposals.

SAM DURHAM
The winger has continued to flourish since being taken in 2021’s mid-season draft, appearing in 22 out of a possible 23 games last season. A hard runner with clean skills, Durham gave Bombers fans a moment to savour in round 10 with a game-winning goal in the final 10 seconds against the Tigers.
So he shouldve drafted Durham after he'd already been drafted 4 months earlier?

So he shouldve drafted Durham after he'd already been drafted 4 months earlier?

Oh dear did you not understand my post :rolleyes:

Durham went in the 2021 MSD and Clarke was the national recruiting manager surely he would have his finger on the pulse as to how some of the kids were travelling in the ressies.

I watch the reserves, I see players like Davidson, El Nour, May to name a few. Could the club have spoken to him about going into the ND and promising to pick him considering we had 5 picks within the top 30.

If a club trully wants a player on their list they'll do their best to try and make it happen via ND, Rookie draft.
Granted not guaranteed but a show of faith from the club.

JAKE SOLIGO

SAM DURHAM
Jake Soligo played 1 game in our VFL team as an u18. He seems to be the flavour of the month for recruiting stuff ups, though i dout many rated him pre-draft- he went at 58 in the most respected phantom draft going around (good pick Poshie).

Sam Durham joined our VFL team in 2021 and was then drafted mid year in 2021. We literally had no chance to draft him after he joined our VFL team.

Are there any other draft picks you want to go back and cherry pick as stuff ups by us?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Jake Soligo played 1 game in our VFL team as an u18. He seems to be the flavour of the month for recruiting stuff ups, though i dout many rated him pre-draft- he went at 58 in the most respected phantom draft going around (good pick Poshie).

Sam Durham joined our VFL team in 2021 and was then drafted mid year in 2021. We literally had no chance to draft him after he joined our VFL team.

Are there any other draft picks you want to go back and cherry pick as stuff ups by us?
Durham, we get a pass on, he was in the VFL, a good mature pick. Essendon should get more credit than we get demerits. And there are more Durhams out there, look at Joe Richards and Lachie Sullivan. Sullivan is Durham but three years more exposure of carving up the VFL.

Solgio, as normal Brodders, you defend the club, and good on you. But I'm not sure how you can when we watched and picked Sonsie who played in the same team as Solgio. Clear line of sight. We watched him and deemed Banks, Brown, Sonsie and Clarke as better prospects. That's hard to fathom. Adelaide have stated that they were convinced Richmond would take Soligo with one of it's picks. The Crows identified that we needed that type but we didn't. It's a miss. There's misses that you get a pass on (no one thinks we should have taken Chad Warner in the COVID draft, that's just a good pick) and there are misses that you need to objectively look at and go, 'How?" This is one of them. We got it wrong. Our rankings were off.

Reactions: 10 users

Lmfaoooooo i am talking two players in our system what part of that didn't register with you?
Btw soligo went at 36 obviously crows rated him. Again did you not read even an inch of my post i myself saw signs of Durham as a player liked his speed and not afraid to go in. We could've spoken to him to go into the ND as we had 5 picks.

Canadian Lol GIF

Last edited:
Lmfaoooooo i am talking two players in our system what part of that didn't register with you?
Btw soligo went at 36 obviously crows rated him. Again did you not read even an inch of my post i myself saw signs of Durham as player liked his speed and not afraid to go in. We could've spoken to him to go into the ND as we had 5 picks.

Canadian Lol GIF

There is not one player on this earth that would forego the opportunity of AFL football (and a career) to deliberately miss a draft they are likely to be taken, on the chance they "might" get picked up by another club later on.

What if he does a knee in the back half of the year. As scoop said there is zero recourse re Durham. We didn't have a chance.

Soligi is different. He was under our noses and a need we desperately required. Again as scoop said our rankings were off. Bad miss.

Reactions: 6 users