Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

I suspect we will use at least 1, but the AFL still not announcing changes to the ND bidding process will probably push our hand a little and either only offer short term contracts (and interstate talent for obvious reasons might not be willing to move states for a 6 month contract) or not take many picks at all. Talks of us taking 3 or 4 is crazy, we would be aiming for these players to be on our list for a number of years and with 9 ND picks currently and uncertainty around the bidding process and therefore our ability and confidence to trade those picks then it will make us 2nd guess what to doat the MSD.

Reactions: 5 users
I've seen enough of Brown to be convinced, 10 year player imo. I like Trezise but we haven't seen enough, hope to soon.

I like Mutaz and don't have an issue with him being on the list but my personal view is that I would prefer us to build up our stocks of key forwards with the aim of Balta eventually going back again. Balta and Gibcus is a pair we can build a defence around but I get the need for him to play forward now.
He has rare abilities. Can reach the heights of a Jack or a Richo.
Balta to stay forward preference for mine.

Reactions: 1 user
We could have 3 picks now Naismith looks out for the year.

I would definitely take a back-up ruck with one of the picks.

Given our current midfield dilemma, is there a ready to go mature body running around in a state league thats not going to be a superstar but will at least be able to compete and win ball?

Reactions: 1 users
He has rare abilities. Can reach the heights of a Jack or a Richo.
Balta to stay forward preference for mine.
The thing about Balta is that he can play both ends and in the end it is just a matter of opinion about whether he is better forward or back. He can play on ball as well.
That's a luxury if we have a decent team around him

I’d be getting the best available mature bodied state leaguers as well be able to pick the eyes out of the youth in the ND. And im guessing come seasons end we’ll see the end of quite a few mature agers ie Dusty, Grimes, K-Mac, Marlion, Prestia, Naismith.

I'd like to see them change the MSD rules so clubs with spots available had exclusive first option on players in their own VFL squads first. After that, then do the reverse ladder order thing for anyone left.

There should be some reward for development of these players
Absolutely and what a huge huge huge huge advantage qld,Sydney clubs have when they basically 100% know that gun junior's are theirs,it changes everything, especially your drafting and planning as it doesn't matter if u finish 1st or 18th ,u still get your gin academy players.
At this stage we are developing players in our vfl for 17 other clubs also.

Reactions: 2 users
mail is they’ve not picking up anyone ? Why ?
They want to keep spots vacant for National draft
I don’t agree
Probably a sensible strategy given our upcoming draft picks. No more list cloggers. Quality while we can.

Reactions: 1 user
Geordie Payne a 184 cm mid/forward/defender from Tassie would have to be in contention for our pick.
Being a late 19 year old ,the boy is starring at the moment ,good speed,good over head ,great attack on the ball,kicking is a bit indifferent,but nothing seriously flawed.

This is the MSD so if we could get a pick that plays 100 games plus,we have done a fantastic job,,need to pick player's for the future.

Reactions: 8 users
Geordie Payne a 184 cm mid/forward/defender from Tassie would have to be in contention for our pick.
Being a late 19 year old ,the boy is starring at the moment ,good speed,good over head ,great attack on the ball,kicking is a bit indifferent,but nothing seriously flawed.

This is the MSD so if we could get a pick that plays 100 games plus,we have done a fantastic job,,need to pick player's for the future.
Yes, but an experienced state leaguer can be a 100 gamer too, eg John Noble, possibly Marlion.

I still lean towards getting state leaguers, possibly on a 6 month contract, and play them in the AFL. No use getting them to play VFL, they would’ve shown they can play well at state league level.

Scribes keep saying there’s slim pickings for the MSD, I say *smile*. There’s 700 state leaguers out there, there’s many who could rise to play at AFL level.

Collingwood have introduced Lachie Sullivan, (26) and Joe Richards (24), both who have looked very comfortable at this level. They’re out there.

The young uns we’ll get in the ND come November.