Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

Just accept it, Baker is gone. I don't blame him, this is a pathetic club right now. If he wants to go home I don't blame him.
Clear the decks! Hopefully Prestia, Grimes, Dusty follow.
Take it easy bud.
That's 37 years of anger
It should only be 4 yrs of anger.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Every time I think about Bachar Houli I smile. What a player he was.
He’ll be thanking his lucky stars he came to us.
When Hird took the reins from Knight he tried to convince Houli to stay at the bummers.
Missed out on the drug saga and ended up with 3 premierships.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe just a can to many here?
First you want to package everything else for an extra first round pick, but then you want to package the worst first rounder plus two no longer existent second round picks for a top five pick. Derrrr, you already sold those second rounders earlier.
No i haven’t .. the first package of all the rest is 3rd and 4th rounders that’s 6 picks to a Carlton for say 19 they have 2 caporele to sort out.

Say we do a net say pick 19
Take that 19 and 2 of the 3 seonds ask if crows or hawks want to give us their first say pick 5 for 3 picks but man i do admit the whole lot seems a bit far fetched

Just saying surely we can be ruthless along these lines

Reactions: 1 user
No i haven’t .. the first package of all the rest is 3rd and 4th rounders that’s 6 picks to a Carlton for say 19 they have 2 caporele to sort out.

Say we do a net say pick 19
Take that 19 and 2 of the 3 seonds ask if crows or hawks want to give us their first say pick 5 for 3 picks but man i do admit the whole lot seems a bit far fetched

Just saying surely we can be ruthless along these lines
This year's draft isn't *that* good though, right? If we were able to pull off what you're talking about, I'd want us to make sure we're getting at least 2 of those first rounders as future firsts for next year

Reactions: 1 users
Based on the very impressive spot on Tslking Footy with Ooze, Bakes has an offer too good to refuse to go back home. Sounds like wheels well and truly in motion on both sides of equation

Man im happy to drive him to the airport for any first round pick
And dan rioli too for another first rounder
Short and graham can uber it to whereever they can for second rounders
Prestia grimes dusty can sail off into sunset

Gives us
3 firsts
3 seconds
Free up $2.5 easily too

Package eveything else for another first making it 4 firsts
If the football gods have totally left punt road and we 🥄

Then package the worst first rounder and 2 seconds for hopefully another top 5 pick

1 ,5 ,14-17,25 is looking like a monster hand
Plus pick 1 PSD which we use to buy who think is worth it

this is smart business
Next year weed out the remaining dead wood hopefully win few games another draft and free agent

2026 back
Like the 5 top 20 picks we had in 2004 did us so well 😂

Like the 12 top 10 picks Essendon have on the list, or the 11 North and Gold Coast have are winning them so many games?

Just accept it, Baker is gone. I don't blame him, this is a pathetic club right now. If he wants to go home I don't blame him.
Clear the decks! Hopefully Prestia, Grimes, Dusty follow.
Let the traditional May PRE bed-wetting season commence

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Like the 5 top 20 picks we had in 2004 did us so well 😂

Like the 12 top 10 picks Essendon have on the list, or the 11 North and Gold Coast have are winning them so many games?
This is the thing getting all these picks would guarantee us nothing.
The idea of selling off a multitude of experienced players to get a mega draft hand is imo a very bad strategy.
Like everything it is a mix that is important, making sure young players come into a club that has a strong development program and a group of good experienced players gives the best chance of success.

Reactions: 13 users
The idea of selling off a multitude of experienced players to get a mega draft hand is imo a very bad strategy.
Like everything it is a mix that is important, making sure young players come into a club that has a strong development program and a group of good experienced players gives the best chance of success.
We should try to make a deal with every team that has a 1st round pick, so we end up with them all. And no player over 22 on the list. Except Marlion Pickett. And maybe Lefau. and Samson Ryan.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Absolutely and look no further than North. Clarko did a video for their members after their players training standards were questioned over being too easy and he was very laidback about it almost accepting the inevitable. Thats what you get when you release all your older experienced players that have been through a bulk of pre-seasons and have the kids running it. They don't know the real difference between boys footy and AFL training standards. They cut hard at the end of the 2016 season, they do not have ANYONE on their list now that was at the club prior to them leaving, Simpkin was drafted in the 2016 draft so just missed them, LDU, Xerri, Zurhaar the year after.

Its why I don't see us letting players like Kmac and Broad go. For whatever paltry compensation we'd get for trading them, we would lose that standard of training. People talk about the experience of older players, but even more so than that, its training standards that you need to set and the older blokes tend to do that. Take for example in our pre-season this year, Sonsie, Campbell and Green were breaking their butts to hit the front of our 2km, with Kmac, Taranto and Broad. We need to ensure that these training standards don't slip and thats what happens when you go on a major list cull of everyone over a certain age.

Reactions: 16 users
Hypothetical if Essendon offered us Hobbs for Liam would we take it?

What about Tom Powell from North or Jed Busslinger from the Dogs?

All pick 13's from 2020-22 so a mid teens pick for Liam is way unders I would prefer to keep Liam unless the deal is stacked in our favour (and no pick 6's)

Reactions: 4 users
Looking at it another way, what player would Freo be willing to let go for Baker? If they think they're close to contending, they won't let any of that midfield group go and while they're fairly well stocked for tall forwards, Treacy is probably unlikely. So it's just magic beans.

West Coast might be better placed.

Hypothetical if Essendon offered us Hobbs for Liam would we take it?

What about Tom Powell from North or Jed Busslinger from the Dogs?

All pick 13's from 2020-22 so a mid teens pick for Liam is way unders I would prefer to keep Liam unless the deal is stacked in our favour (and no pick 6's)
If Baker leaves it will be to go west imo. He will play at Richmond, Freo or the Eagles in 2025

We should try to make a deal with every team that has a 1st round pick, so we end up with them all. And no player over 22 on the list. Except Marlion Pickett. And maybe Lefau. and Samson Ryan.
Totally agree and the deal with Marlion should be that when he reaches 100 games he retires and we get a MSD pick

If Baker leaves it will be to go west imo. He will play at Richmond, Freo or the Eagles in 2025
I agree re: destination Sin, but I think the posts intention was to say are any of these players the equal of Baker? If not, pick 13 isn't good enough compo.

Hobbs might turn out good enough. Not sure on the other fella. It's not very appetising.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree re: destination Sin, but I think the posts intention was to say are any of these players the equal of Baker? If not, pick 13 isn't good enough compo.

Hobbs might turn out good enough. Not sure on the other fella. It's not very appetising.
No. I would prefer to keep Baker personally but players like him are very hard to value. Very good player but not a real top liner, 27 years old next year.

It depends on where Fremantle finish as well what sort of pick we would get if he goes there.

Missus just told me Bakes a Docker next year as she just heard on 6PR talkback radio that he has bought a house here in Perth.. If Dockers want to sell the farm let them.

Missus just told me Bakes a Docker next year as she just heard on 6PR talkback radio that he has bought a house here in Perth.. If Dockers want to sell the farm let them.
He bought his second Perth house a month or so ago. It was said he’s building a portfolio of property but who knows!