Welcome Sam Naismith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Naismith

Extremely Poor form from the AFL. has millions for welcome to country nonsense and nothing for a genuine heartfelt guy and his Mum.
Yes because the welcome to country is relevant to their decision to not let the club pay for Naismith's family

Reactions: 5 users
i don't understand this at all...?
how does the AFL overrule a club who wants to do this?
makes no sense
Probably worried about where that could go from a salary cap perspective. Imagine buying Houli's family tickets..

Overreaction from AFL, but can see their angle.

That’s what I’m trying to work out.
Isn’t it up to the clubs who they take up if they’re the ones paying?
I'm assuming it is about the salary cap. Paying for a players family to fly intestate could be construed as paying that player outside the cap. While you would hope they could use discretion in a case like this, the reason behind the decision has validity.

Reactions: 1 users
That is so sad.

He has lost his Dad and brother to cancer in recent years.

Now his mum is battling cancer.

He's on rookie wages and I'm guessing he doesn't come from a wealthy family. All the club wanted was go pay for his mum's flights to Gold Coast. But, no, we have to settle with an ipad and video call.

Would love to know who in the AFL said no go this. Think they deserve 100,000 hellos from Tiger members.
I don’t understand how the AFL have any say whatsoever in this. It’s up to the club who they invite to games. It’s common practice to host the players families and give them a good match day experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want Nankervis as a forward for significant periods of a game while Balta rucks. I'd prefer to have Lynch and Balta causing headaches in the forward line, and Nank interchanging with Naismith.
Nank will be required to play forward more if Naismith plays, or both he and Naismith both play 50% game time.
Nank rucks 80%, bench 20%. Balta rucks 20%. Perfect.

Probably worried about where that could go from a salary cap perspective. Imagine buying Houli's family tickets..

Overreaction from AFL, but can see their angle.
it was two people Generale - one of them his Mum

maybe $1000 return (at the most) for each?

Mate, I think it's BS, but playing devils advocate, how many plane tickets is too many? How many times can you buy the tickets? What about accommodation, meals, rental cars, taxi, etc?
AFL would just have a blanket no policy I imagine.

The AFL's sponsored by Virgin, the price of 2 plane tickets would be chicken feed. All costs would be on the Tigers.

I'd like to hear the AFL justify the decision. But like every thing from this miserable organisation "nothing to see here"

Reactions: 3 users
I thought Sam was pretty good on Saturday. Witts averaged 39 hit outs a game last year, the most of any ruckman.

The AFL's sponsored by Virgin, the price of 2 plane tickets would be chicken feed. All costs would be on the Tigers.

I'd like to hear the AFL justify the decision. But like every thing from this miserable organisation "nothing to see here"
What about the junkets at the end of the 2020 and 21 seasons where the AFL was bringing all sorts with tenuous connections into the finals in QLD and WA?

Mate, I think it's BS, but playing devils advocate, how many plane tickets is too many? How many times can you buy the tickets? What about accommodation, meals, rental cars, taxi, etc?
AFL would just have a blanket no policy I imagine.
well it sucks G..
but most would be able to get to the city, or live there, etc..
Sams family are from Gundagai I think, so getting them to the Gold Coast from there is a mission, but a possibly rare one for the AFL to deal with..
the lack of compassion is disappointing, but sure, I get it ..

I don’t understand how the AFL have any say whatsoever in this. It’s up to the club who they invite to games. It’s common practice to host the players families and give them a good match day experience.

My only guess is it has something to do with salary cap spending and needing approval for additional spending inside the salary cap?

Very underwhelming against a B class ruckman in Witts.
Naismith looked 109 yrs old not a bloke playing his 33th game.

• Dislike
Dropped and named as emergency, but doesn't look like he's been named in the seconds lineup?

Late in for Nank?

Dropped and named as emergency, but doesn't look like he's been named in the seconds lineup?

Late in for Nank?
Will be held back as emergency. Won’t play either game unless there’s a late change.
Part of the punishment for making the cut

Unlucky but I think the balance is pretty right. Balta's success in the ruck meant Cray missed out.
On paper we look a lot sharper around the ground this week & we need to be.

Sam was always going to be a second string insurance for Nanks but he did OK for me last week when you consider this was his first AFL since 2020 and the team were not exactly supportive to his efforts and style. Sam is still going to be useful to us when required