Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
When we bring him in, FFS just play him in the middle.

Drives me crazy when a player kills it in the seconds in the midfield, and then we promote and play them on a flank in the seniors.

Reactions: 12 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
He is 181 . Plenty big enough to be an outside mid.

Playing well today, needs to knock the door down.
He sure doesn't look that size to me, but still fairly small for modern AFL. But it;s not the size of the dog ...

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Sonsie must, must, must be given Dow's position in the ones, and get played there for 6 weeks.

He has all the attributes. Just needs some responsibility.

Reactions: 8 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Might now have the tank to be tried in the midfield again, seemed to play a lot of minutes, good to see him run the game out strongly.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I will happily see us play out the year with Sonsie and McAuliffe as our 1-2 midfielders. Hopper or Taranto can pitch in as the third. If Ross gets back this year, that's our full rotation going forward.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
There’s more midfield future & potential in McAuliffe & Sonsie than Dow & Ralphsmith. After what I suspect will be a midfield battering tonight, perhaps we can try that.

This year has to be all about 2025 & beyond now. Which kids can play and which can’t, which Vets want to and should go on (and which don’t/cant) and which of the uncontracted players want to stay/go.

By all means compete & try to win every week, but eye on the future time.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Needs to go at every week like his mate Soligo, then he will become a player of real note.

Last edited:

Webbie26

Tiger Rookie
May 17, 2023
Hes class great hands and feet just needs to win more clearance wich he can improve on so i have faith hell make it

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Will be watching the magoos stream with interest in the next day or two. Sounds like the Sonz had himself a fairly fat game of footy yesterday. One can only cross the fingers and hope he can consolidate his game, get back into the seniors and then build his game into solid senior footy. We could certainly use the skill sets, game nous and composure at senior level.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
I will happily see us play out the year with Sonsie and McAuliffe as our 1-2 midfielders. Hopper or Taranto can pitch in as the third. If Ross gets back this year, that's our full rotation going forward.
LOL.Ahead of TT & Hopper.

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Well, I've not long finished watching the magoos game against Casey Jones, so I suppose I should opinionate on it. Probably should dig myself a trench n put on my tin hat first though.
Game was actually more enjoyable than watching an AFL game n not just because we won in the end, or because our seniors are going bloody ordinary at the moment. It simply looked n felt more like watching an old school style of footy game, without the old school head hunting. Plenty of up n down the ground kicking game of footy with proper contested marking, ground ball contests without the scrumby, turnovers n rebounds. Plus a scoreline that was mega competitive and in the balance until late in the game, excellent balance of attack n defend and best of all the maggots never felt the need to " impose " themselves on the game, they let them play n adjudicated where necessary.

Now is probably where I need my hat. The Sonz. FMD I could wish, but geez there is still bugger all about his game that tells me he'll make it up at senior level at this point in his development.
Yes he reads n understands the game, right from the start at centre bounces and round the ground he's helping set up the structures n positioning, then often positions himself behind his opponent n scuffling, so he can react to the play maker.
He lopes n shuffles up n down the ground all game lurking in space like a humungous seagull. Can read the drop of a hot chip, dive n flap hard to get space n create. But then again he can also play rushed and ineffective possession or worse fancy millionaire with the ball and get nailed.
He laid some tackles, a couple early were tackle from behind because his opponent was unaware or hadn't quite got rolling. A few were second man into the tackle to support and a couple were good one out front on, bloody good to see. But on the other hand he also got caught a few times in tackles and either lost the ball or turned it over.
The problem I have with a stack of possessions from the Sonz is that it was firstly, in an open spacious magoos game. Second, was a lack of hard physical aggression and commitment at the times of contested congestion. It was always lurking just off n outside for the loose ball to dribble out or a team mate to get it out, there was a few times where he timed an attack on the loose ball from a ruck or mark superbly n stepped through a gap. Third and probably the biggest issue was a lack of hurt factor with the ball from an outside player, there was simply to many pissy little short disposals that didn't hit the target clean or put players into decent advantage at times. He plays well balanced, smart and very pretty footy at magoos level, but without that incisive edge of either hardness or game opening that gets you into regular senior footy or a finals playing contention team. Might be that I'm way to hard on him, but with all the natural skills n polish that anyone can see. He shouldn't be faffing around in the magoos on a regular basis. There's a fair bunch of kids with probably 65% of the talent getting games ahead of him simply because they play with 100% more grunt n commitment.

Reactions: 10 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Performed as would expected now at the lower level. We have seen this before.
Still want to see it at AFL level before singing his praises too much.

Same logic as what Ross struggled with.

Sonsie has to be played as a Midfielder, to perform as a Midfielder.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The problem I have with a stack of possessions from the Sonz is that it was firstly, in an open spacious magoos game. Second, was a lack of hard physical aggression and commitment at the times of contested congestion.
10 of the softest clearances you've ever seen Maso:)

• Haha

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Neither are fit, Dud.

I assume one will only be fit at a time.
Well, now that Hopper has done another hammie, who knows? Yze played it down as minor, suggesting 2/3 weeks perhaps, But we know that probably means realistically another 4/5. So he and TT might come back around the same time. You hope!
But you did seem to suggest relegating these two, our star recruit, highly experienced pair - "with Sonsie and McAuliffe as our 1-2 midfielders."

Come on, Coburg. Macca and Sons are still unproven kids, just trying to make the 1sts and grab a spot. Even Macca hasn't had the chance to prove he's right up to AFL yet. Both have to play many more tough games to consolidate an AFL place. Sons still in genuine doubt.

After selling what, 40% of the farm (draft capital) for our seasoned GWS pair, as if the club is not going to play them? Or demote them behind two unproven kids? Crazy.

Perhaps Hopper's really good game and serious impact prior to his latest regrettable injury, might remind you of the gap between each pair of players.
Macca and Sons just beginners.