2001 Preliminary Final -- On The Buses | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2001 Preliminary Final -- On The Buses

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
At the 'Gabba and we got thrashed.

This was eight days after Ansett fell over and so most of our supporters had 2000km each way on the bus. I was living in Brisbane at the time so had a much shorter journey, even if I was very fortunate to get a ticket through a mate's mate at the Wantirna Club.

Did any PREnders make the interminable bus trip up the Newell and back? And if so, what was it like? I remember the night itself fondly if only for the send-off Paul Broderick received (his mum had come on the bus and was sat behind us at the scoreboard end, and was urged by the Tigers around her to go down to the fence at the final siren).

I also remember seeing moronic Brisbane supporters banging on the sides of the buses and jeering after the game.

Does anyone have any bus recollections to share?

i was also there. I was 9 at the time and we got trampled all over. it was good though to see richmond play for the 2nd time this year

Bumping this back up.... surely a couple of PREnders at least must have been on the buses for that game.

Share your stories please! :spin

Ready said:
Bumping this back up.... surely a couple of PREnders at least must have been on the buses for that game.

Share your stories please!  :spin
I saw it on TV and you could see Frawley with a smile on his face thinking that 2002 was going to be THE year.

And it certainly was THE year...................... ::)

Ready said:
Did any PREnders make the interminable bus trip up the Newell and back? And if so, what was it like? I remember the night itself fondly if only for the send-off Paul Broderick received (his mum had come on the bus and was sat behind us at the scoreboard end, and was urged by the Tigers around her to go down to the fence at the final siren).

Sorry Ready did have a look at flights but they were booked out and did not have any time off to do the bus. I know Brodericks well (except for Paul really) and used to talk to them outside the rooms, lovely and humble family. I remember Mrs Brodo saying after the Carlton match they were going on the buses instead of driving up. They were very keen and supported Paul well even watching East Burwood and probably Melbourne matches as well this year according to Pauls brother.

Will have one last crack at this one, does anyone have any stories to share about making it to Brisbane and back on the bus? :wavey