2017 rookie draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2017 rookie draft

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
21,438
4,914
mrposhman said:
The sky is the limit for the young star from Lake Grace."
Bloody kiddin me poshy? Lake Grace population about half a handful, Mark Bairstow, Nat Fyfe both Lake Grace boys n now there's a third kid from there made it onto an AFL list. Young Liam has got some massive foot steps to try n follow.
 

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
13,436
2,370
There will be some sad faces tonight, Butts, Kreuger, Day, Parish, McLean, Roughsedge all miss out.

As for Baker, interesting that we preferred him to Giro, from my perspective Giro offers a bit more flexibility, could feasibly play higher up the ground. Same height as well.
 

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
586
274
bullus_hit said:
There will be some sad faces tonight, Butts, Kreuger, Day, Parish, McLean, Roughsedge all miss out.

As for Baker, interesting that we preferred him to Giro, from my perspective Giro offers a bit more flexibility, could feasibly play higher up the ground. Same height as well.
Would love to know what the knock on Krueger is if he's not deemed worthy of a rookie spot.
Parish is just the 2017 version of Jonty Scharenberg.
 

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
3,929
1,609
melbourne
Richmond football players 182cm and under 18/44 players
Dion Prestia
Brandon Ellis
Shane Edwards
Jayden Short
Bachar Houli
Daniel Rioli
Kane Lambert
Anthony Miles
Sam Lloyd
Shai Bolton
Reece Conca
Jack Graham
Nathan Drummond
Dan Butler
Jason Castagna
Tyson Stengle
Jack Higgins
Patrick Naish

We must have the shortest list in history now
 

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
9,443
2,495
Melbourne
turk-d-tiger said:
Richmond football players 182cm and under 17/44 players
Dion Prestia
Brandon Ellis
Shane Edwards
Jayden Short
Bachar Houli
Daniel Rioli
Kane Lambert
Anthony Miles
Sam Lloyd
Shai Bolton
Reece Conca
Jack Graham
Nathan Drummond
Dan Butler
Jason Castagna
Tyson Stengle
Jack Higgins

We must have the shortest list in history now

The shortest for a few years yes, but in all history?

Forward lines like ours in 2017 were not that unusual 30, 40, 50 years ago. Caddy, Townsend and Martin are all of similar height and build to Royce Hart, Dermie Brereton, Gary Ablett and even Dunstall. OK, maybe Dunstall was much heavier but he wasn't any taller.

Our 1980 Premiership team was structured in a very similar way to our 2017 Premiership team with its own "Mosquito fleet" of Bartlett, Weightman, Wiley, Rowlings and Raines. We had Cloke and Raines up forward but our key defenders were all much shorter that those in the 2017 team.

Maybe successful teams don't really need so many huge talls?
 

TigerPort

Tiger Superstar
Jun 29, 2006
1,883
1,284
NSW
TOT70 said:
The shortest for a few years yes, but in all history?

Forward lines like ours in 2017 were not that unusual 30, 40, 50 years ago. Caddy, Townsend and Martin are all of similar height and build to Royce Hart, Dermie Brereton, Gary Ablett and even Dunstall. OK, maybe Dunstall was much heavier but he wasn't any taller.

Our 1980 Premiership team was structured in a very similar way to our 2017 Premiership team with its own "Mosquito fleet" of Bartlett, Weightman, Wiley, Rowlings and Raines. We had Cloke and Raines up forward but our key defenders were all much shorter that those in the 2017 team.

Maybe successful teams don't really need so many huge talls?

Average heights are different even from 1980. Deledio was similar in height to Royce Hart. Jack Dyer was our ruckman at 185cm (shorter than both Hart or Deledio)
 

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
19,698
2,865
The last famous mosquito fleet was Carlton side of late 70 and 80s. Ashman, Johnson, Marcou, Sheldon, Harmes, Maylin, probably more, wonder how they compare? I'd lean towards us having more, even factoring in players getting taller in general.
 

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
3,698
1,809
turk-d-tiger said:
Richmond football players 182cm and under 17/44 players
Dion Prestia
Brandon Ellis
Shane Edwards
Jayden Short
Bachar Houli
Daniel Rioli
Kane Lambert
Anthony Miles
Sam Lloyd
Shai Bolton
Reece Conca
Jack Graham
Nathan Drummond
Dan Butler
Jason Castagna
Tyson Stengle
Jack Higgins

We must have the shortest list in history now
Plenty of mossies around. C.Daniel has clearly made us realise tht height isn't an issue if the kid can play.
 

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
9,296
2,801
I don’t know why people are getting bent out of shape about our rookie picks. We basically picked 2 KPP and a ruckman in the draft.

We’ve got players like Dan Butler, Rioli and Bolton who will possibly all see some time in the midfield (I think Butler the weakest possibility of the three). Higgins will likely play some midfield as he gets a bit more meatball-ish.

Plus, not all of them will make it. Just playing numbers there, but these guys are rookies. Maybe some of them will compete with Jayden Short down back?

We’ve just come off a premiership, playing a very mobile, small forward line. I think we should trust those in power to pick they players they need for their game plan. They’ve now got the runs on the board that we probably should.
 

Dev Tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
898
412
It is obviously very difficult to predict how many of the draftee's will make it but they all appear to have attributes that suit our game plan. The club seems to all be on the one page as to what style we want to play at both AFL and VFL level and are recruiting players are capable of playing that way. Initially I would have rather Oscar Allen than Coleman Jones but when you look at it CCJ is capable of filling that second key forward backup ruck role. He also posses that same competitive spirit that Nank has.
 

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
1,591
482
Hobart
Pretty sure it was Leigh Matthews who said during the finals that big men will get you to the finals, but the small guys will win you a flag.
 

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
9,296
2,801
Tiger Rob said:
Pretty sure it was Leigh Matthews who said during the finals that big men will get you to the finals, but the small guys will win you a flag.
That's what they said about Deledio and Tambling.

Deledio would get us to the grand final, Tambling would win us the match. - Miller and Wallace (aka the list manager).
 

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
3,929
1,609
melbourne
turk-d-tiger said:
Richmond football players 182cm and under 18/44 players
Dion Prestia
Brandon Ellis
Shane Edwards
Jayden Short
Bachar Houli
Daniel Rioli
Kane Lambert
Anthony Miles
Sam Lloyd
Shai Bolton
Reece Conca
Jack Graham
Nathan Drummond
Dan Butler
Jason Castagna
Tyson Stengle
Jack Higgins
Patrick Naish

We must have the shortest list in history now

Sorry Guys had to ammend its actually 18 - Forgot Patrick Naish

suprised nobody picked it up
 

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
19,698
2,865
TOT70 said:
The shortest for a few years yes, but in all history?

Forward lines like ours in 2017 were not that unusual 30, 40, 50 years ago. Caddy, Townsend and Martin are all of similar height and build to Royce Hart, Dermie Brereton, Gary Ablett and even Dunstall. OK, maybe Dunstall was much heavier but he wasn't any taller.

Our 1980 Premiership team was structured in a very similar way to our 2017 Premiership team with its own "Mosquito fleet" of Bartlett, Weightman, Wiley, Rowlings and Raines. We had Cloke and Raines up forward but our key defenders were all much shorter that those in the 2017 team.

Maybe successful teams don't really need so many huge talls?

agree with the main point, but question that the 80 side was as short. Off the top of my head: Talls 80: Roach, Cloke, Lee, JJ, Mount, Dunne, Strachan, '17: Jack, Dave, Nank, Rancey. I know there is a grey area in terms of what constitutes a 'tall' now and what did then, but that would be the respective lists.

edit: looked up Mount, Strachan and JJ, all under 190, even though they were considered talls in their time, around same height as or shorter than Grimes, Towner, Broad and Dusty. Interesting. Still wouldn't say KPDs were much shorter, Dunne was a monster.
 

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
9,443
2,495
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
agree with the main point, but question that the 80 side was as short. Off the top of my head: Talls 80: Roach, Cloke, Lee, JJ, Mount, Dunne, Strachan, '17: Jack, Dave, Nank, Rancey. I know there is a grey area in terms of what constitutes a 'tall' now and what did then, but that would be the respective lists.

edit: looked up Mount, Strachan and JJ, all under 190, even though they were considered talls in their time, around same height as or shorter than Grimes, Towner, Broad and Dusty. Interesting. Still wouldn't say KPDs were much shorter, Dunne was a monster.

Yeah, even allowing for slight increases overall in height from one generation to the other, I think the point is still valid.

In 1980 we had the extra ruckman (Cloke) and the taller CHF in Jess but Dunne was really the only tall defender. Francis Bourke at 185 cm was the full back. The back line was very short, even for then. Jess often played in defence that year, giving us two tall forwards, rather than three.

In 2017, we used a tall defence all year, same as everyone else but our forwards were shorter than most other teams.

I think this shows us that talent and effort are more important than height.