2019 Finals Format Explained | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2019 Finals Format Explained

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Finals Series Format and crossovers always does my head in so for starters yellow depicts how things effect Richmond depending on results round 1:

The winner of the Second Qualifying Final (Brisbane Lions v Richmond) hosts the winner of the First Semi Final(Geelong Cats, Collingwood, West Coast Eagles or Essendon) in the Second Preliminary Final.

The loser of the Second Qualifying Final (Brisbane Lions v Richmond) hosts the winner of the Second Elimination Final (GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs) in the Second Semi Final.

The winner of the First Qualifying Final (Geelong Cats v Collingwood) hosts the winner of the Second Semi Final (Brisbane Lions, Richmond, GWS Giants or Western Bulldogs) in the First Preliminary Final.

The loser of the First Qualifying Final (Geelong Cats v Collingwood) hosts the winner of the First Elimination Final (West Coast Eagles v Essendon) in the First Semi Final.

PS. I don't want to lose and face the Bulldogs who i think will beat GWS.

Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
For those oldies who were very familiar with the final four system, here is the best way to get your head around the final eight.
It starts out as two final fours. One involving 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th. The other involving 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th.
These two final fours operate as they would have in their day until the "Grand Finals" of those final fours.
The winners of the "Second Semi" and "Preliminary" Finals of those final fours don't play each other in those "Grand Finals", they cross over and play the other winner in what are the Preliminary Finals of the final eight.
Then the winners of those two games meet in the Grand Final.
Clear as mud.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
To simplify even further. Richmond plays Brisbane at the Gabba. 6 other teams play other games. Richmond proceeds to Preliminary final and skips week 2 of the finals, while four other remaining teams play knockout in week 2. Week 3 Richmond win and proceed to Grand final and play one of the 2 other teams in the other Preliminary final.

:))

Reactions: 1 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Based on recent results, we need to avoid the Dogs, so makes this next game against the Lions crucial.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Why are we worried about the dogs - because they beat up on us pre bye when we were scratching out wins and losses during the dark winter of the “curse of the injury gods”.

Nah why all the worry.

I seem to remember during our recent glorious history of 2017, a certain team bashed us from here to kingdom come and back but we settled the score in the last week of September.

Fear no one I say.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
To simplify even further. Richmond plays Brisbane at the Gabba. 6 other teams play other games. Richmond proceeds to Preliminary final and skips week 2 of the finals, while four other remaining teams play knockout in week 2. Week 3 Richmond win and proceed to Grand final then beat up on one of the 2 other teams in the other Preliminary final.

Like your explanation Legends, but just polished it a tad for u.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Preliminary finals predictions:
1st PF - Gee v WB
2nd PF - Rich v Coll
GF - Rich v WB - what a game that will be!

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Why are we worried about the dogs - because they beat up on us pre bye when we were scratching out wins and losses during the dark winter of the “curse of the injury gods”.
2017, we became premiers and they were *smile*. They beat us.
2018, we were minor premiers and they were *smile*, they had a late shot on goal that should have beaten us.
2019, we were 4-2 and they were 2-4. They smashed us.

We've beaten them just once since the start of 2014.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Footscray need to be exorcised like Geelong were in the 2017 QF, and I reckon Richmond would be well and truly fired up to win. They are a bit of a bogey team, I suspect their game plan matches up to ours better than most, but bogey teams are just the ones you want to put away.

DS

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
To simplify even further. Richmond plays Brisbane at the Gabba. 6 other teams play other games. Richmond proceeds to Preliminary final and skips week 2 of the finals, while four other remaining teams play knockout in week 2. Week 3 Richmond win and proceed to Grand final and play one of the 2 other teams in the other Preliminary final.

Perfect description of a perfect scenario.
Bring it on.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
another explanation of the finals: irrespective of the result against Brisbane, we never leave the MCG after that. the difference is that losing means an extra game at the G we need to win. Thats the beauty of West Coast missing the top 4.

and I'm not worried about the bulldogs. In fact I reckon GWS can pull off an upset. They will play a much stronger team this time around.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
another explanation of the finals: irrespective of the result against Brisbane, we never leave the MCG after that. the difference is that losing means an extra game at the G we need to win. Thats the beauty of West Coast missing the top 4.

and I'm not worried about the bulldogs. In fact I reckon GWS can pull off an upset. They will play a much stronger team this time around.

OK, AFL ladder predictor is wrong then, it has us playing WC over there in a prelim if we lose v Brisbane

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
OK, AFL ladder predictor is wrong then, it has us playing WC over there in a prelim if we lose v Brisbane

lol. the winner of the 2 qualifying finals host the 2 Prelims. so if we lose to Brisbane, the host of our crossover prelim will be the winner of Geelong v Collingwood. And of course, we will host the Prelim should be beat the lions.

As for West Coast... after they beat Essendon, they have to travel for the rest of the finals series. they are gone IMO.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
2017, we became premiers and they were ****. They beat us.
2018, we were minor premiers and they were ****, they had a late shot on goal that should have beaten us.
2019, we were 4-2 and they were 2-4. They smashed us.

We've beaten them just once since the start of 2014.
Not to mention Bulldogs in round 21 & 22 kicked 21 goals in a row against Essendon and 12 goals in a row against GWS, last 3 rounds they have scored 137, 126, 121 points, that's serious scoring power, they are a way better side than their 2016 side.
Win this week and agree with tigemike that it could well be a Richmond vs Bulldogs GF.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Finals Series Format and crossovers always does my head in so for starters yellow depicts how things effect Richmond depending on results round 1:

The winner of the Second Qualifying Final (Brisbane Lions v Richmond) hosts the winner of the First Semi Final(Geelong Cats, Collingwood, West Coast Eagles or Essendon) in the Second Preliminary Final.

The loser of the Second Qualifying Final (Brisbane Lions v Richmond) hosts the winner of the Second Elimination Final (GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs) in the Second Semi Final.

The winner of the First Qualifying Final (Geelong Cats v Collingwood) hosts the winner of the Second Semi Final (Brisbane Lions, Richmond, GWS Giants or Western Bulldogs) in the First Preliminary Final.

The loser of the First Qualifying Final (Geelong Cats v Collingwood) hosts the winner of the First Elimination Final (West Coast Eagles v Essendon) in the First Semi Final.

PS. I don't want to lose and face the Bulldogs who i think will beat GWS.
1566877306513.png