2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Don't they need points to get Daicos?
collingwood would need the equivalent points to match a pick 1 bid. 3000 points less their discount = 2400
Our 2 picks you suggest would equate to 1385 points
Granted their 1st round (2022) could be anywhere from pick 5 to pick 10 ish 1878 to 1395 or thereabouts.
Ok on paper but it still leaves them a big shortfall this year for Daicos. We’d need to sweeten the pot. It maybe one of our 1st s plus.
Depends on how they feel which players could slip through to us this year.
Lots of variables but I still like your thinking.
Its going to be interesting pre and on draft night with live pick swaps.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
collingwood would need the equivalent points to match a pick 1 bid. 3000 points less their discount = 2400
Our 2 picks you suggest would equate to 1385 points
Granted their 1st round (2022) could be anywhere from pick 5 to pick 10 ish 1878 to 1395 or thereabouts.
Ok on paper but it still leaves them a big shortfall this year for Daicos. We’d need to sweeten the pot. It maybe one of our 1st s plus.
Depends on how they feel which players could slip through to us this year.
Lots of variables but I still like your thinking.
Its going to be interesting pre and on draft night with live pick swaps.
have they said anything about draft night been 1 or 2 nights Willo?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We give the Pies picks 25 & 30 for their future 1st(22).Lets be honest here. they'll be crap next year.So a likely top 5 pick.
We give the dogs Picks 40 & 48 for their 1st rnd pick(17}

This year: 11/16 & 17.
Next:5/18.
5 first rnds in 2yrs =Quick rebuild.
(Thats not including if CJ departs)

Pies - Possibly.

They need points for Daicos, they currently have 4 from about 36-45 but as of today they are worth 1623 points so they probably need another 800 points to match. If they don't, then that shortfall will push their 1st out by 800 points next year. Lets say they get Pick 4 next year, it would become Pick 13.

Essentially for a trade to happen, we need to do better than that. I think they would be more likely to trade 2nds. Ie. maybe we can swap Saints 2nd for the Pies 2nd next year. They would be really against trading their 1st next year if they can match the points with a 2nd. I'd be comfortable with this. I really doubt we will use 6 picks unless we trade players that we may not want to trade in an ideal scenario, so pushing 1 out a year would be a good result IMO.

Dogs - Would never do that deal. The whole point of trading with teams who need points, its that the lower level picks add more value. Your suggestion at the 2 3rds, is only worth about 700-750 points or worth around Pick 25-26, no way they do that. I could see is trying to trade with them for that pick, but not with the picks you suggest.

Reactions: 2 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Pies - Possibly.

They need points for Daicos, they currently have 4 from about 36-45 but as of today they are worth 1623 points so they probably need another 800 points to match. If they don't, then that shortfall will push their 1st out by 800 points next year. Lets say they get Pick 4 next year, it would become Pick 13.

Essentially for a trade to happen, we need to do better than that. I think they would be more likely to trade 2nds. Ie. maybe we can swap Saints 2nd for the Pies 2nd next year. They would be really against trading their 1st next year if they can match the points with a 2nd. I'd be comfortable with this. I really doubt we will use 6 picks unless we trade players that we may not want to trade in an ideal scenario, so pushing 1 out a year would be a good result IMO.

Dogs - Would never do that deal. The whole point of trading with teams who need points, its that the lower level picks add more value. Your suggestion at the 2 3rds, is only worth about 700-750 points or worth around Pick 25-26, no way they do that. I could see is trying to trade with them for that pick, but not with the picks you suggest.
I see.Thanks for the explanation.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Pies - Possibly.

Great explanation.

The Pies will split more picks at the trade table for points, maybe pick up a couple of extra third rounders for someone like Cox or Sier. They won’t want to downgrade next years picks if they can avoid it.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
The Pies are also jammed up with the rule that restricts the amount of picks you can cobble together to match a bid,

They can't use six lower picks for example if they only have 4 spots on their list.

They either have to trade some players out for some decent picks so maybe they only have to use 4 picks to match the bid.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The Pies are also jammed up with the rule that restricts the amount of picks you can cobble together to match a bid,

They can't use six lower picks for example if they only have 4 spots on their list.

They either have to trade some players out for some decent picks so maybe they only have to use 4 picks to match the bid.
What picks do they have? Also what did they trade their first rd pick to GWS for?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Collingwood have picks 36, 41, 44, 45 for this year. I reckon they trade out a few for cap space and picks.

The GWS trade got them a first in 2020, a second in 2020 and a fourth in 2021.

Basically took this years picks last year to avoid it getting used on SOPA Daicos.

GWS currently have pick 4 and pick 10.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Potentially, though the AFL waived this clause last year, so I guess it depends if they bring it back in or not.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well, if the Suns are prepared to trade their first round pick in exchange for a key forward (which there’s very few available) to ease the pressure on King, I wonder if we can’t construct something with them.

Thinking a package that says we won’t sign Chol, we’ll get him to you, plus a draft pick, and you send us back pick 3.

We are on pretty good terms with GC thanks to previous transactions and Craig Cameron being involved with GC.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Well, if the Suns are prepared to trade their first round pick in exchange for a key forward (which there’s very few available) to ease the pressure on King, I wonder if we can’t construct something with them.

Thinking a package that says we won’t sign Chol, we’ll get him to you, plus a draft pick, and you send us back pick 3.

We are on pretty good terms with GC thanks to previous transactions and Craig Cameron being involved with GC.
You'd reckon it would have to be a low draft pick for them to even consider such a thing.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
It might be one of our first rounders + Chol = pick 3.

Chol is an unrestricted free agent so Gold Coast can get him for nothing if Mab's wants to go there.

Any talk of being able to orchestrate a top 5 pick is just pure fantasy IMO.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Chol is an unrestricted free agent so Gold Coast can get him for nothing if Mab's wants to go there.

Any talk of being able to orchestrate a top 5 pick is just pure fantasy IMO.
Yeah. Everyone knows that. But it doesn't prevent us from re-signing him either. Part of the negotiation is that we won't do that or offer 'lows' to him - bit like we helped them get Markov and Ellis - and then throw in a first rounder to get 3 back. In other words we can engineer the right dollar outcome for GC plus they keep a first rounder in the exchange.

Otherwise they compete with us and we push them to pay a higher salary than they may have otherwise. Not fantasy at all if you know what goes on behind the scenes....

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It might be one of our first rounders + Chol = pick 3.

Are we throwing around crazy trades now :D

I'd think if we had a chance at Pick 3, CJ would be the one along with our 1st. It might still be something we look at (if CJ wants to leave) as if we could trade some of our lower picks for the Dogs 1st and package that with our other 1st, then potentially could end up with Pick 3 and another in the top 10 but we would lose CJ which is a big loss IMO.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Are we throwing around crazy trades now :D

I'd think if we had a chance at Pick 3, CJ would be the one along with our 1st. It might still be something we look at (if CJ wants to leave) as if we could trade some of our lower picks for the Dogs 1st and package that with our other 1st, then potentially could end up with Pick 3 and another in the top 10 but we would lose CJ which is a big loss IMO.
Late second round possibly in that case. Doubt the club wants to move him on anyway.