2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I have nearly already made up my mind for our first pick,Lalor or Trainor ,l would like both,and if we got a late first round Bo Allan or Jonty Faull who might rise up the ladder depending on how he comes back from injury ,O Farell in the mix for a pick among a few other's .

I have nearly already made up my mind for our first pick,Lalor or Trainor ,l would like both,and if we got a late first round Bo Allan or Jonty Faull who might rise up the ladder depending on how he comes back from injury ,O Farell in the mix for a pick among a few other's .

You wouldn't want O'Sullivan or Smith?

I reckon Trainor is as slow and unagile as a wet week. Watched his game v Footscray yesterday. 20+ possessions, but he is slooooooow.

Got caught several times.

Big pass for me. We have bigger needs than a KPD as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon Trainor is as slow and unagile as a wet week. Watched his game v Footscray yesterday. 20+ possessions, but he is slooooooow.

Got caught several times.

Big pass for me. We have bigger needs than a KPD as well.
You need to go to spec savers

You wouldn't want O'Sullivan or Smith?
Once Lalor gets a couple of years in a AFL system he will be a power house ,plus he's strong overhead ,,good Dusty replacement,,not like for like ,but some similar attributes .
I don't think we will end up with pick 2 ,probably in the 3-5 range

So question here for everyone.

If we have Pick 3 or 4, would we try and trade Pick 1 with North so we can get O'Sullivan? Our Pick plus a later one for O'Sullivan. They don' really need any more midfielders, in terms of quality they have that already with their picks (their issues seem much deeper than talent on the park), but they are desperate for talls, so you'd think they would be keen on Trainer, O'Farrell, Whitlock etc.

What would it cost to trade up the extra couple of spots? I'm not sure there would be a massive market for Pick 1 this year, and if it suits both parties, maybe not much more than the draft pick index?

Probably a similar scenario with Hawthorn too.

Once Lalor gets a couple of years in a AFL system he will be a power house ,plus he's strong overhead ,,good Dusty replacement,,not like for like ,but some similar attributes .
I don't think we will end up with pick 2 ,probably in the 3-5 range

But Lalor is probably unlikely to go 3-5

Looking back now, it was a dream team.
I was a small 11-year-old who was fortunate enough to be selected as a bottom-age player in a star-studded Victorian side for the under-12 national schoolboys championships in Darwin in 2017.
I had a photo taken with top-age teammates Harley Reid and Nick Watson, who both went on to be top-five draft picks last year.
Harley Reid, Nick Watson and Jagga Smith were part of the Victorian side for the under-12 schoolboys championships in Darwin in 2017. Picture: Supplied

Harley Reid, Nick Watson and Jagga Smith were part of the Victorian side for the under-12 schoolboys championships in Darwin in 2017. Picture: Supplied
Six years on, the three of us posed for a new photo after playing in Vic Metro’s clash with Vic Country during the under-18 national championships at Ikon Park last July.
Other teammates in that Victorian schoolboys team — which won the Gold Medal game at the tournament — included 2023 draftees Darcy Wilson (St Kilda), Zane Duursma (North Melbourne), Nate Caddy (Essendon) and George Stevens (Geelong).
Entering my own draft year, I’ve now got my sights set on following them to the AFL.
Playing in that schoolboys team was a key moment for me and the first time where I realised I wanted to pursue football as a career rather than a hobby.
Harley Reid, Nick Watson and Jagga Smith at Vic Metro v Vic Country match during AFL under-18 national championships in 2023. Picture: Supplied

Harley Reid, Nick Watson and Jagga Smith at Vic Metro v Vic Country match during AFL under-18 national championships in 2023. Picture: Supplied
I had started kicking a Sherrin around in under-9s at Richmond Junior Football Club only three years earlier, where my dad — Michael Smith — coached me as a junior.
Dad was drafted to Collingwood in the 1988 national draft, moving from Devonport to Melbourne for the opportunity at age 16.
He had plenty of talent but unfortunately never played an AFL game during a strong era for the Magpies, although went on to have a very successful country football career.
I continued my juniors at Richmond before other representative opportunities came along — in two sports.
I also played basketball growing up and represented Vic Metro in under-15s.
Playing basketball helped with my decision making and my ability to go both sides of the body on the football field, but I always felt I was better at footy.

I also knew it would be hard to make it big in basketball as a mid-sized player.
With football, I progressed through the talent pathways with Oakleigh Chargers’ under-16s in the Coates Talent League and represented Vic Metro at under-16 level.
As a Year 10 student, I was picked for Scotch College’s First 18 team, playing alongside Western Bulldogs young gun Sam Darcy.
That led me to the opportunities at the under-18 national championships last year and an appearance on the MCG in the under-17 Futures Game on AFL Grand Final Day.
I played for the winning Team Naitanui that day, before sitting in the stands and watching the Magpies salute.
That was a day I will never forget.

Reactions: 3 users
So question here for everyone.

If we have Pick 3 or 4, would we try and trade Pick 1 with North so we can get O'Sullivan? Our Pick plus a later one for O'Sullivan. They don' really need any more midfielders, in terms of quality they have that already with their picks (their issues seem much deeper than talent on the park), but they are desperate for talls, so you'd think they would be keen on Trainer, O'Farrell, Whitlock etc.

What would it cost to trade up the extra couple of spots? I'm not sure there would be a massive market for Pick 1 this year, and if it suits both parties, maybe not much more than the draft pick index?

Probably a similar scenario with Hawthorn too.
Probably way to early in the season, but. Is there anyone stands out from the pack enough to warrant trying to trade up in the first few selections? Meedjia and internet were all over Horney Toads n Harley Davidson as standout number 1 picks way, way before their season was played out. Not that I follow the draft n juniors closely at all, but there's still not much noise going on about any youngsters.

Looking back now, it was a dream team.
I was a small 11-year-old who was fortunate enough to be selected as a bottom-age player in a star-studded Victorian side for the under-12 national schoolboys championships in Darwin in 2017.
I had a photo taken with top-age teammates Harley Reid and Nick Watson, who both went on to be top-five draft picks last year.

Six years on, the three of us posed for a new photo after playing in Vic Metro’s clash with Vic Country during the under-18 national championships at Ikon Park last July.
Other teammates in that Victorian schoolboys team — which won the Gold Medal game at the tournament — included 2023 draftees Darcy Wilson (St Kilda), Zane Duursma (North Melbourne), Nate Caddy (Essendon) and George Stevens (Geelong).
Entering my own draft year, I’ve now got my sights set on following them to the AFL.
Playing in that schoolboys team was a key moment for me and the first time where I realised I wanted to pursue football as a career rather than a hobby.

I had started kicking a Sherrin around in under-9s at Richmond Junior Football Club only three years earlier, where my dad — Michael Smith — coached me as a junior.
Dad was drafted to Collingwood in the 1988 national draft, moving from Devonport to Melbourne for the opportunity at age 16.
He had plenty of talent but unfortunately never played an AFL game during a strong era for the Magpies, although went on to have a very successful country football career.
I continued my juniors at Richmond before other representative opportunities came along — in two sports.
I also played basketball growing up and represented Vic Metro in under-15s.
Playing basketball helped with my decision making and my ability to go both sides of the body on the football field, but I always felt I was better at footy.

I also knew it would be hard to make it big in basketball as a mid-sized player.
With football, I progressed through the talent pathways with Oakleigh Chargers’ under-16s in the Coates Talent League and represented Vic Metro at under-16 level.
As a Year 10 student, I was picked for Scotch College’s First 18 team, playing alongside Western Bulldogs young gun Sam Darcy.
That led me to the opportunities at the under-18 national championships last year and an appearance on the MCG in the under-17 Futures Game on AFL Grand Final Day.
I played for the winning Team Naitanui that day, before sitting in the stands and watching the Magpies salute.
That was a day I will never forget.
Ooooh. This Mick Jagga kid strutted around a basketball court as a junior, pretty sure that Colonwood bloke played basketball as well when he was growing up.
Good chance he'll be a premium player coz basketball helps their vision n spatial awareness n so does dropping a tab or two.

• Haha
Trainor is growing on me. But I'm still in the O'Sullivan and Smith camp. We need silk in the midfield.

Trainor would replace Broad or possibly Young if he keeps growing. Gibcus (fingers crossed) and Trainor fill your back half for a decade.