A P.R.E EXCLUSIVE John Mathies (board candidate) flyer to RFC members.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A P.R.E EXCLUSIVE John Mathies (board candidate) flyer to RFC members....

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Here is John Mathies flyer to RFC members. He is a candidate in the upcoming RFC board election.

John Mathies is a Melbourne lawyer and investor aged 52 married three children (all Richmond supporters) and has been a life long passionate Richmond supporter. I have been a member of Richmond coterie groups since 1983 and am currently a member of Jack's club. My Father Keith, has similarly been a fanatical supporter since 1931.

I founded the Collins Street law firm of John Mathies & Co in 1975 and am currently senior partner. I have beea director of a number of publicly listed and private companies and currently have a direct interest in companies involved in mortgage finance, aged care, property development and investment and primary production.

I have been fortunate enough to be present at each of Richmond’s five premierships during my lifetime mainly 1967,1969,1973,1974,1980.

I played cricket at both Hawthorn-East Melbourne and Northcote cricket clubs in late 1960s and early 70s and am currently a member of board of directors of board of director of Werribee Park Equestrian center and other Equestrian sport related boards.

I decided to nominate for the board of Richmond Football Club following prompting from a number of influential supporters and dissatisfaction with the Club’s performance over the last twenty years and believe I have the necessary successful business and financial acumen and experience plus necessary sporting background with a passion for the Richmond Football Club and the proven ability to focus to enable me to be of assistance to our Club.

The Club has over the last 20 years developed a culture where mediocrity has been accepted. From the playing perspective we have been the worst performed club in the VFL/AFL, which has not been assisted by our recruiting which has been amongst the worst in the competition with many of our draft choices not able to perform at the top level.

In my opinion recruiting determines the success or failure of a club and whilst the addition of Greg Miller last season has been extremely beneficial I believe we should endeavour to recruit "recruiters" to the club who have displayed a consistent ability (notwithstanding the restrictions of the draft) to identify players who are able to perform at an elite level.

To achieve success you need to be associated with successful people. Success is contagious. Unfortunately at Richmond we have not in the recent past pursued this policy. Interestingly all of Richmond’s ten premierships have been achieved whilst coached by people with a Richmond Football Club background.

It is also of interest that two of the most successful Victorian based clubs Essendon and Collingwood employ a number of former Richmond personnel who not only experienced success at our club but have achieved considerable further success at both Essendon and Collingwood. I refer to Kevin Sheedy and Noel Judkins at Essendon (Noel son of R.F.C. Brownlow Medallist, Stan and former Richmond under 19 player and gun recruiter) who recruited many premiership players to Essendon and in recent years recruited many of Collingwoods current players. Neil Balme, football manager at Collingwood and of course their coach Mick Malthouse

The time has come for the Richmond Football Club to deliver and whilst with the appointments of Ian Campbell and Greg Miller, Clinton Casey and the current board are heading in the right direction. I believe with my attributes I will be able to assist in our aim to return our Club to its rightful position as a force to be reckoned with in AFL football.

Please note that any spelling or grammatical errors in the above article are my own and not those of John Mathies or the author of the article.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Good work TD. :D

I agree with John's theories about recruiting and having successful people around the place. I also like the idea of utilising Richmond people where possible. I realise that if others offer better skills they should be hired, but I'd also like to see some Richmond passion we've been lacking a bit in recent years.

What I don't understand is the exact role of board members. How much say do they have about the staff we recruit at the club?

I find it hard to know who to vote for, or even whether to vote at all, when I don't know what each individual does in their role.

I think it's always good to get fresh ideas coming in so it's a good idea to have some changes at board level.

There's no doubt we haven't improved much financially or off field over the past few years under the current boards reign.

(I always want to add a proviso that I think that will change this year now certain things are being put in place around the club.)

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
I like Rosy, would be very interested to know what exactly the Board Members do beside get free lunches on Match Day (and if they don't get a free lunch on match day, why not, dammit) If anyone knows can they please post. I want to vote but I need to know if I am wasting my time or not.

It sounds to me like John is anti-Danny which I don't believe is the right message to be giving at the beginning of the season regardless whether you are a Danny supporter or not. Danny would already be aware that he has to perform this season or he is gone. We need to show some solidarity as a club especially at the beginning of the season.

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
Good work Rhett. Well done for keeping us informed on David's and Jim's campaigns and also for trying to maintain a balance with all candidates. Never easy, but much appreciated by those of us who take their vote seriously and are struggling to decide how to exercise it.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Of the 3 board nominee flyers posted so far, John Mathies is the only one to get close to Richmond's problems and address on field issues.

DC8

Eat 'em alive
Nov 21, 2003
You may be right TF. But still not completely convinced that it's not just the same *smile*, different bucket.

What about the other nominees? Anyone know anything about them?

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
John Mathies certainly sounds like he has the credentials to take on such a position. He is obviously an astute person and would no doubt have the interests of the tigers at heart.

I fear that some of our other board members have simply been there to long such as Tony JEWEL.

It is time for some fresh ideas at board level IMHO. I am not criticizing any of the current board members, but sometimes change is a good thing.

We do need some new faces to compliment MILLER and CAMPBELL, but not a bloody coupe as some have suggested in the past.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
This guy is going to get my vote. Some of the current Board Members coming up for re-election eg Welsh and Colonel Sanders have had plenty of time to make their mark and contribute to turning this club around. The fact of the matter is that they have not been able to do this despite being on the Board for a long time.

It is time for some fresh faces at Board level in my opinion.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
rbartlett said:
Can i copy the post here by TIgerDog to my site and add it to the other 2 flyers ?

No worries Rhett, go for it. It might be an idea to link to this thread though, or at least explain that any typos are due to TD's kindness typing this out for us seeing he didn't have access to a scanner.

The only issue is when I asked you about copying a flyer from rhettrospective onto PRE you suggested I e-mail the author for permission. We're more than happy for you to copy this over but am not sure about the protocol in regards to asking the candidates first.

My opinion is that they probably wouldn't mind and the more Richmond info that is available on the various websites the better so feel free to just copy it anyway.

Cheers. :)

Young Tiger said:
Some of the current Board Members coming up for re-election ... have had plenty of time to make their mark and contribute to turning this club around. The fact of the matter is that they have not been able to do this despite being on the Board for a long time.

After the past 20 years, I wont be "re-electing" anyone. I don't mind taking a shot on someone I've never hear of before. After all, we can only fall 3 places, and rise 12. We don't accept 13th position from our players, why should we accept it from our board?

To any board members who, like Welsh 'hope they can count on my support': You can count on me, when i can count on you.