A Preseason Preview - Part 15 of 16 - Brisbane | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Preseason Preview - Part 15 of 16 - Brisbane

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
From Lindor to boiled lollies.

The last 5 years for the Brisbane Lions have been brilliant. Every other team can only hope to have the success that the Lions have enjoyed in this period. But as the story of Joseph in the Bible tells us, for every 7 years of plenty there is 7 years of famine. Then for Lions the silos are starting to empty as they take those first steps to rebuild their stocks.

The Lions are still very ably led by Leigh Matthews. O'Donnell is gone. Lambert is still there. Cresswell after forging a reputation at Geelong is now with the Lions. John Blakey is still there. And Craig Brittain (younger brother of dud Brittain) is there as a part-time asst reserves coach. (They couldn't find a lower title.)

The list of Brisbane is:

Wood 204 90 18 New
McDonald B 203 103 25
Spaanderman 198 99 19
Keating 197 102 29
Charman 197 99 22
McLaren 196 90 23
Merrett 196 92 20
Brown 195 99 23
Garner 194 75 18 New
Brennan 192 83 20
Leppitsch 191 97 29
Bradshaw 191 91 26
Pask 191 97 20 Rookie
Michael 190 99 28
Hadley 190 88 22
White 189 85 32
Pike 189 92 32
Baird 189 80 18 Rookie
Hamill 189 71 18 Rookie
Lappin 188 87 29
Notting 188 87 26
Drummond 188 84 22 Rookie
Copeland 187 82 24
Selwood 187 75 21
Attard 187 81 19 New
Moody 187 82 19
Forsyth 187 77 18 New
Black 186 80 26
Corrie 186 72 21
MacDonald J 186 77 20
Adcock 184 82 19
Voss 183 86 29
Logan 183 73 19
Rischitelli 183 72 19
Sherman 183 85 18 New
Scott C 182 90 29
McGrath 182 80 22
Scott B 181 86 29
Harding 181 75 19 Rookie
Johnson 180 89 29
Ryswyk 180 74 20 New
Allan 180 73 19 Rookie
Power 179 75 25
Akermanis 177 83 28

That's 44 players, 6 new, and 6 rookies. Compare that to our 40, 10 & 2. Something seems "fishy" about Brisbane list. Maybe they're still paying enormous amounts to maintain a large number of players in the twilight zone.

The spread of the Brisbane list is as follows:

Twilight = 28+yo
Prime = 25-27yo
Development = 22-24yo
Junior = 18-21yo

<180 Small Runners
Twilight: Akermanis 28
Prime: Power 25
Development: 0
Junior: 0

180-184 Smaller Mediums
Twilight: Voss 29, C.Scott 29, B.Scott 29, Johnson 29
Prime: 0
Development: McGrath 22
Junior: Ryswyk 20, Adcock 19, Logan 19, Rischitelli 19, Allan 19, Harding 19, Sherman 18

185-189 Taller Mediums
Twilight: White 32, Pike 32, Lappin 29
Prime: Notting 26, Black 26
Development: Copeland 24, Drummond 22
Junior: Selwood 21, Corrie 21, J.MacDonald 20, Attard 19, Moody 19, Baird 18, Hamill 18, Forsyth 18

190-194 Mobile Key Position
Twilight: Leppitsch 29, Michael 28
Prime: Bradshaw 26
Development: Hadley 22
Junior: Brennan 20, Pask 20, Garner 18

195-199 Key Position/ Ruck
Twilight: Keating 29
Prime: 0
Development: Brown 23, McLaren 23, Charman 22
Junior: Merrett 20, Spaanderman 19

200+ Ruck
Twilight: 0
Prime: B.McDonald 25
Development: 0
Junior: Wood 18

The spread hits you clearly between the eyes. Of 44 on their list 25% are in the twilight zone, and almost 50% are in the junior zone, too young to be playing consistant senior football. The Lions have effectively a list of 25 experienced players to choose from, of which almost half of this 25 will be suffering from recurring injuries caused in their glorious years.

The positional depth is as follows:

B: Johnson 29 Michael 28 White 32
                         Pask 20 Hadley 22
              Hamill 18

HB: C.Scott 29 Leppitsch 29 Pike 32
Selwood 21 McLaren 23 Drummond 22
Attard 19 Garner 18

C: B.Scott 29 Power 26 Notting 26
Copeland 24 Ryswyk 20 Corrie 21
Forsyth 18 Rischitelli 19 J MacDonald 20

HF: Voss 29 Brown 23 Lappin 29
Brennan 20 Merrett 20 Moody 19
Logan 19                   Sherman 18

F: Charman 22 Bradshaw 26 McGrath 22

R: Keating 29 Black 26 Akermanis 28
B McDonald 25 Adcock 19 Allan 19
Wood 18     Harding 19
Spaanderman 19

So there you have it, like a 2 layered cake, a thin icing of highly respected footballers on top, followed by extremely inexperienced players below.

Conclusion:
The length of the season will take its toll. Brisbane may start well, they may have some great individual wins at home or when they can get a full team together. The away games will be the first sign of Brisbane's decline. I'm sure after a few injuries to key players that the big rut will hit. Brisbane struggling to make the finals for my mind.

PS: My belief is that Brisbane should have traded off some of its champions to other clubs for top draft picks. I'm sure there would have been a few clubs on the brink of success that may have been interested in some of their twilight champions.

Brisbane still have a good side & will be thereabouts but I doubt they will win the flag.Some of their players are showing wear but still have a good mix of youth & experience.Prediction 3rd-6th.

Phantom said:
Brisbane struggling to make the finals for my mind.
Big call there Phanto.
have to disagree.Sure they are not the same as 2002-03 however they are still good enough to at least make the 8.
the long lay offs of Black and Brown may hurt them in the short term but long term id love to be in the position that mathews is in knowing that both these players come rnds 18 onwards will still be pretty fresh compared to others.
Top 8 for sure:at best 4th-worst 6th.

not so sure about top 3 Jimbob.Wet toast look the goods to me to move in on that spot.

I wonder who will kick Brisbanes goals.Bradshaw has his moments but I can't see him being a 65+ guy.

Brown is out till round 7.It means they are looking to guys like Voss ,maybe Charman and Pike to kick multiple goals consitently.i just cant see it.

Still have a great midfield and probably the best coach in the buisness.I reckon 5th or 6th this season.

who knows what that GF lose did to their mental edge, personally i think the GF lose was the start of the end....

as we know football has a lot to do with also what goes on between the ears, i wonder what that lose did to them mentally....

i suppose the flipside is could motivate them mentally...but my gut instinct tells me otherwise.... :-\

Phantom said:
PS: My belief is that Brisbane should have traded off some of its champions to other clubs for top draft picks. I'm sure there would have been a few clubs on the brink of success that may have been interested in some of their twilight champions.

couldnt do that in the current marketing environment Phanto, had to keep the stars there to keep the crowds coming. Its all about building the supporter base still for them, and then when its cemented and flush with success, start to become like us, talkng about not wanting mediocrity and the Lion of Old and all that we go ape sh!t over.
Its all about getting as many supporters into the net, and when in, they are there for good, bad or mediocre, with all the moaning and groaning and applauding that comes with it.
Thats the culture that they want to instill.

dmx said:
Phantom said:

couldnt do that in the current marketing environment Phanto, had to keep the stars there to keep the crowds coming. Its all about building the supporter base still for them, and then when its cemented and flush with success, start to become like us, talkng about not wanting mediocrity and the Lion of Old and all that we go ape sh!t over.
Its all about getting as many supporters into the net, and when in, they are there for good, bad or mediocre, with all the moaning and groaning and applauding that comes with it.
Thats the culture that they want to instill.

Can I take it that you are agreeing with me then?

evo said:
not so sure about top 3 Jimbob.Wet toast look the goods to me to move in on that spot.

I wonder who will kick Brisbanes goals.Bradshaw has his moments but I can't see him being a 65+ guy.

Brown is out till round 7.It means they are looking to guys like Voss ,maybe Charman and Pike to kick multiple goals consitently.i just cant see it.

Still have a great midfield and probably the best coach in the buisness.I reckon 5th or 6th this season.
Don't underestimate Bradshaw Evo,if he was playing permanent forward I would back him to kick 65+goals easily.I reckon he was their standout key man late in the year.Underated player.

Phantom said:
Can I take it that you are agreeing with me then?
LOL, exactly, its par for the course with Lethal. Its the now because I am coach, forget about the then when I will not be coach, just like the state he left the pies in after taking them to the top of the mountain. Fortunatley for him this time, with all the advantages that he has at his disposal, in regards to concessions etc, it has elongated his successful run but when it comes to a halt, which will be this year, the cracks will widen as more and more of the usual suspects go by the way side, and before you know it, a Walls is back at the helm, complaining about how bad the list is and its nto my fault, or something akin to that.

mb64 said:
Don't underestimate Bradshaw Evo,if he was playing permanent forward I would back him to kick 65+goals easily.I reckon he was their standout key man late in the year.Underated player.

He probably is a little underrated but I believe you have be pretty good to kick over 65 goals in a season.

I smell a wager.

evo said:
mb64 said:

He probably is a little underrated but I believe you have be pretty good to kick over 65 goals in a season.

I smell a wager.

I'll take that evo. My EPT v your BDG. ;D

evo said:
mb64 said:

I smell a wager.
You smell correctly.

IMO they may struggle especially early. with brown and black out there first 5 games are tough:
StK
Port
Syd
Haw
WCE

Only 1 safe winner in that lot

so if they get off to a bad start then who knows the wheels may start to wobble.

Fair assessment Phantom,

I agree 100% with your comment that Brisbane should have traded 1 or 2 of their second tier stars, and they have 2 tiers of stars, to get some early picks. I actually reckon not selling a Notting, Leppitch, Beau McDonald or Keating, and perhaps even a Lappin or Power was a major long-term stuff-up, considering wages, trade value, age, injuries, list structure. This may have resulted in them annexing another flag ah la the Tigers 1980, and powering on to another dominant era. They still could do it, but the time was right last trade period, Leppitch hinted that he thought this also.

I reckon you're being a shade harsh with your prediction though, I put them at 2 or 3, but it wouldn't surprise me if they finished somewhere 5-8, they just know how to win, especially at the gabbatoir.

I still believe they have a pretty decent structure. Before Jamie Charman got injured he was a man mountain, kicking goals and playiong well in the ruck. Add a fit Mcdonald to that as well as keating, Brown i think you can find your goals. There defensive structure is still there despite the fact that leppa is starting to look worn. Will definatly make they 8 and who knows maybe one final tilt. To much quality.

Picked exactly the same thing at the start of the 04 season, they had about 15 players on the list that had only 5 or 6 games between the lot of them ( working from memory so don't come back and tell me I'm not precise).
Lethal has definately wrung the max out of a very good side but there has been jack *smile* done re development for future years.
They will be around the mark again this year 4 to 8 but the wheels will fall off in a bloody big hurry through 2006 and barring a miracle I think they will spend a few years dragging their raggedy arses round the nether region of the ladder from then on.

A gun (albiet aging) midfield, a tough defence and perhaps weakened forward line.

If injuries to their elder statesmen kick in,they could fall out the the top 5 for the first time in a long time.I still expect them to be 4-6th,but as Phantom has exposed,they are aging, but not quite crumbling.