A Preseason Preview - Part 7 of 16 - Roos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Preseason Preview - Part 7 of 16 - Roos

I reckon both of you are overrating Thompson.
He hasn't had a kick for 2 years.Throw in some personal problems,which are unfortunate,and I think he's a guy whos heart really isn't in playing footy.
Hawthorn got deal of the decade IMO for what they got in return for him.

My crack about letting him run through some smalls for some confidence (implied- frightened of the big boys) and the bit about takes his eye off the ball during his marking attempts (implied- frightened of falling over) was quite a pair of backhanders, Struggs. Your comment that I'm over-rating him is a KO.  ;D

You're right, though. His best form was sporadic and is history. IMO if he has a future, and I give him some chance, it's as a cruiserweight ruckman or small forward. But you're probably right. No future.

struggletown3121 said:
He hasn't had a kick for 2 years.Throw in some personal problems,which are unfortunate,and I think he's a guy whos heart really isn't in playing footy.
Hawthorn got deal of the decade IMO for what they got in return for him.
I think [i maybe wrong here] but i think the personal problems was with one of his now former teamates who left originally then was traded back to the club hence the resurfacing of his depression.
hawthorn on atm seemed to have got a great deal for him but time will tell.

Silent Bob said:
If Thompson doesn't fire, the Roos are gone. A fall from grace is coming.
Thompsons form has been patchy,along with McKernan who struggled they could have a couple of expensive lemons.

Hi all,

Just reading some of the areas debated. I'd just like some of you to consider where improvement from the Tigers is going to come from. Many of you will agree that it won't be from the twilight players that we have. Generally we agree that it will be from the further development of our junior and development players that we know well, but other club's supporters aren't that familiar with, ie Hartigan, Roach, Raines et al.

This also applies to other clubs as well. In North's case they aren't looking to their twilight players like Thompson, Rocca, Archer and Simpson. North have a very good group of broad ranged development level players who are taking on responsibility like Motlop, Harding, Harris, Corey Jones, Baird, Watt, Brown, Petrie, supported by Wells, Shore, McIntosh & Hale. It's from the further maturity of these fellows that their success will come.

Roos could be anything or could be nothing this season.

Their main strength will be their midfield runners but have major weaknesses at both ends of the ground.

Coaching may also be a weakness I believe with the intensity of Laidley becoming an issue.

I rate them in the bottom 4 ladder positions come the end of H&A.