A reminder about posting AFL.com.au content | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A reminder about posting AFL.com.au content

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
We had to remove several threads and posts yesterday. We are not allowed to copy content from the afl website. The AFL made it clear to me in no uncertain terms that they will come the heavy with us if we breach their demands. It's a shame they are so insecure about spreading info for the benefit of the football world but it's their call. They won't discuss it and I can't afford to fight them. We can live without their articles but I sure don't want to be forced to live without PRE.

Please don't publish articles or link to afl.com.au or the other clubs' official websites. We do have permission from Richmond so they are excluded from the request.

Hi Rosy,

I posted links to AFL published info about Free Agency yesterday, did not re-publish content.

I doubt there is any legal way to stop somebody linking to afl (or anyone else's) public content. It is unpaid advertising in effect after all.

Having said that I respect PRE site rules first and aim to abide by them when posting here.

But I would question that interpretation of the afl's 'requests'.

Cheers :)

rosy23 said:
We had to remove several threads and posts yesterday. We are not allowed to copy content from the afl website.

Whatever this person stated, I don't understand how this is called 'copying' when all we do is provide a reference to their article.

If they're going to be such wankers about it, why would we want to help them by allowing links to their site?

what about the herald sun with their pay wall on some of their articles?
Can we still post them or will they be off limit now as well?

se7en said:
what about the herald sun with their pay wall on some of their articles?
Can we still post them or will they be off limit now as well?

All good to keep posting them until we are told otherwise.

Disco08 said:
If they're going to be such wankers about it, why would we want to help them by allowing links to their site?

Surely switching to NRL would make more of a statement ...

Disco08 said:

Exactly.

Whilst I find their position quite surprising I gave up on Vlad and his boys doing the right thing years ago. This is a typical decision that has revenue/exclusive content reasons behind it no doubt - AGAIN at the expense of sites like PRE which are the heart and soul of footy. Makes Andersons ranting tonight on Eddie's show about how much they look after the footy community even harder to take.

Sorry to hear that Rosy. The shiny suit brigade strikes again; yet another black mark against the sport's governing body.

tigertrue said:
Hi Rosy,

I posted links to AFL published info about Free Agency yesterday, did not re-publish content.

I doubt there is any legal way to stop somebody linking to afl (or anyone else's) public content. It is unpaid advertising in effect after all.

Having said that I respect PRE site rules first and aim to abide by them when posting here.

But I would question that interpretation of the afl's 'requests'.

Cheers :)

It's not an interpretation tigertrue. Some posters abide by the site rules, some ignore than and some are in between. if we allow links to the afl content people start posting articles. It's a big job to keep such a busy website running properly and it's not fair to burden the mods with the responsibility of checking the content posted. I'm sure the AFL would welcome us to post links to their site but they wouldn't take too kindly if more was posted. It's not worth the risk so it's requested that no afl.com.au content is posted here whether entire articles, snippets or links.