Laptop to TV | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Laptop to TV

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
G'day all, I just need some advice. What do I need to use a TV and a laptop together?
I want to be able to replay footy games, youtube etc on TV via laptop
Both fairly new, both have usb and serial ports.
Any assistance is appreciated.

You need the laptop and tv to have matching ports. If both are relatively new then they should on have HDMI ports. If that's the case you are laughing.

If you don't have matching ports then you can get converter cables like DVI to HDMI, DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI etc.

Once you have the right cable between them the laptop should automagically detect the TV

Baloo said:
You need the laptop and tv to have matching ports. If both are relatively new then they should on have HDMI ports. If that's the case you are laughing.

If you don't have matching ports then you can get converter cables like DVI to HDMI, DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI etc.

Once you have the right cable between them the laptop should automagically detect the TV

Thanks for the reply Baloo.
Laptop does have HDMI port. So just put HDMI cable from laptop to TV? Then go to AVI or Inputs to find it?

Yeah, laptop to tv via hdmi. Then whatever button on the TV to choose the right input (HDMI 1/ HDMI 2 / AVI 1 / GAME / Whatever / etc).

Depending on how new both devices are the TV might automagically switch to the right input by itself.

you might need to change the playback device to hdmi so the hsmi can carry the audio too, otherwise you'll only get video and the audio will playback through the laptops internal speakers

LidsBling&Cotch said:
you might need to change the playback device to hdmi so the hsmi can carry the audio too, otherwise you'll only get video and the audio will playback through the laptops internal speakers

Thanks for that advice LBC

We tried hooking a laptop to the TV a couple of weeks ago at my in-Laws place and got exactly that problem.

Now I know how to fix it. It was bloody annoying.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
I've got it for the tv but how/where do you do that on the laptop Lids?

willo said:
I've got it for the tv but how/where do you do that on the laptop Lids?

right click on the little speaker next to the clock in the bottom right corner and then click on playback devices

LidsBling&Cotch said:
right click on the little speaker next to the clock in the bottom right corner and then click on playback devices

ok I'll give it a whirl, thanks for all the help fellas, very much appreciated