Adobe Photoshop | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adobe Photoshop

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Does anyone use Adobe Photoshop?

I am a complete graphic novice, and am trying to create something very basic for a xmas gift project.

I have downloaded a trial version of photoshop, and a template from a website that I need to use to order something to be printed, however I can't even seem to get the basics done, like adding a shape and filling it with colour!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

No easy task for a novice but I'll try and step you through it Draga. 8)
A few ways of skinning the cat but try this..

1st step - Shape

To make a shape you need to go to the shape tool which is the rectangle icon in the floating menu on the left hand side (see diagram).
Once you have clicked that icon the top menu icons have changed and you see a bunch of various shape icons. Choose the shape icon you want (circle, rectangle,custom etc.)

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/8090/screenshot20111123at837.png

- To make a square or a perfect circle hold down the shift key.

- To change the colour click the square icon in the layer menu. If you do that hopefully the colour menu should pop up and you can change the colour of the shape you want.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1493/screenshot20111123at839.png

Let me know how you go with that and if you get that far we'll move on..

Thanks ToO. I once had a go at Photoshop but found it too daunting. I don't have time at the moment but one hot, summer day I'll come back to this thread and have another crack at it following your info.

Thanks ToO. Had a bit of play this morning, and managed to get a coloured rectangle, but it seems that once I move away from that shape, I can't 'select' the same shape to move, re-colour or resize it.

Will have to have a proper look tonight when I have some time, probably not a job while eating your weet-bix before work!

DragicevicFan said:
Thanks ToO. Had a bit of play this morning, and managed to get a coloured rectangle, but it seems that once I move away from that shape, I can't 'select' the same shape to move, re-colour or resize it.

Will have to have a proper look tonight when I have some time, probably not a job while eating your weet-bix before work!

Well done Draga.

To transform the shape, go back to the arrow icon in the toolbox. Select it.
Look up on the top menu and you'll see a small box that says 'show transform controls' tick the box. (as seen below).

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5096/screenshot20111124at102.png

You should now be able to transform the shape. To rotate the shape grab the corners. To re-size it grab the edges.

I would love to see what the end product looks like drag.
I spend a lot of spare time mucking around on photoshop and appreciate any type of art...
all the best, also google for tutorials in the future when you start getting a little confident.