AFL Academy Trip 2016 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL Academy Trip 2016

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
As most are aware the AFL sends the cream of the crop of each year on a trip to the US to prepare them for the year ahead.

The level one squad of 25 players is selected following the NAB AFL Under-16 Championships, and the level two squad includes the best 35 under-18 players in the country. These players are eligible for the upcoming NAB AFL Draft and go on the trip.

Surprisingly, Richmond is one of 7 clubs (Dogs, WCE, Port, Syd, GWS, Ess. Sydney clubs academy boys would take up there interest. Amazing the Essendon have no one considering how heavily they will have to invest in the draft) that do not have any representation on the trip and therefore misses time to see and more importantly interact away from the ground with the best of the best for the upcoming draft. Emma Quayle talks at length in her book how this time is so important for the AFL clubs to begin to understand the personalities and attitudes of the players early on. So, are we at a competitive disadvantage not having any one of this trip.

My answer is, yes.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
A number of the academy boys have been training at punt road during the preseason so we have already had a close look at some of them.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yep, I know that. I'd still be on the trip watching the prospects away from the ground as much as on it.

Reckon we are missing a huge opportunity. Knowledge is power. The more you know the earlier the better.

The only counter I would accept would be we have a extensive knowledge of this blokes from the U16 level and have a better knowledge base then other clubs.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
where are the names - I'll be interested to see if I know any of them.

Did Naishy get a gig?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yep Naish is in. What a name. ;D

Vic Country: Tyrone Hayes, Aaron Darling, Kane Farrell, Aidan Quigley, Lochie O'Brien, Hunter Clark, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cody Henness, Oscar Clavarino
Vic Metro: Jack Higgins, Lachlan Fogarty, Patrick Naish, Joel Garner, Jaidyn Stephenson

fitchy86

Tiger Cub
Sep 21, 2009
SCOOP said:
Yep Naish is in. What a name. ;D

Vic Country: Tyrone Hayes, Aaron Darling, Kane Farrell, Aidan Quigley, Lochie O'Brien, Hunter Clark, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cody Henness, Oscar Clavarino
Vic Metro: Jack Higgins, Lachlan Fogarty, Patrick Naish, Joel Garner, Jaidyn Stephenson

Who is bolded player Joel Garner?

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
my young bloke has played with Jack Higgins. Very good player

Surprised Charlie Thompson didnt make it as well.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
i'm kinda surprised Naishy made that team. They obviously rate him a bit higher than I do.

Oh well, good news. looks like we'll have a father son on our list in 2017

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
fitchy86 said:
Who is bolded player Joel Garner?
Might simply be bolded because it seems possible the kid has been named after Joel big bird Garner.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Just read Emma Q's article yesterday on this trip.

I’m even more staggered as to why we had nobody in attendance.

Talk about starting behind the eight ball, just ridiculous.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
SCOOP said:

yeah, oh well.

You'll never guess who the young bloke is training with at the moment with Doncaster Sharks.

397907-08ae5c8c-526a-11e3-b7b4-89041ea3763d.jpg

Going to be a pretty good side. Ben Johnson and Heath Scotland play for them as well.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
SCOOP said:

Did I hear somewhere that the "Football Tax" might have been a reason some clubs didn't attend

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
The footy department tax has definitely made an impact in a variety of ways across the AFL

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Yep footy tax would be the main reason.

But I wouldn't be too concerned. The AFL/AIS shares every little bit of info with the clubs, so whilst the attending clubs may pick up 1 or 2 small insights that hadn't been picked up before, these would be well known to all clubs by the time the draft comes around.

As was told my Matt Clark, the club tracks these kids for 2-3 years prior to drafting.

Have been told about young Naishy. Great kid, great attitude but thinks he will need to work his backside off to get drafted. He is good in all facets, but not outstanding...yet.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Just on this, I'll never understand how we sent scouts over to the Ruck Combine in the USA but not to the Academy trip.

Completely bonkers logic.