AFL floats finals change | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL floats finals change

Hanno

Clangers are killers!
Jul 13, 2003
Geelong, Vic
Melbourne, Sunday.

Outgoing AFL Chief Executive Wayne Jackson has signalled a major change to the AFL finals fixture for 2004, with any final involving Port Adelaide now to be renamed 'the bye'.

The move has shocked some football observers, but, as Jackson explained at a packed news conference today, "it seems to be the only reasonable response to Port Adelaide's disturbing inability to remain competitive during the month of September."

Any team drawn to play Port Adelaide in a final from next season on will have the option of inflicting yet another embarrassing hiding on the "Power" or choosing instead to gain match practice under genuine finals conditions by participating in a "scratch match" against whichever side finishes sixth in the Bellarine Football League (the BFL maintains a final five despite consistent AFL pressure to just throw the finals open to anyone). Whichever option Port Adelaide's opponent selects, the AFL has mandated that tickets to the game must remain out of the reach of the ordinary football supporter, and under no circumstances will the game be able to be viewed on free-to-air TV.

Jackson also revealed that the AFL are looking into forcing Port Adelaide to change their name from "Power" to something that more realistically reflects their standing in the league. "March Premiers" has been one mooted change, but it is believed Geelong currently holds copyright on this name.

Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams, when asked to comment on the amazing revelations, was observed desperately trying to loosen some imaginary necktie while uttering a serious of horid choking noises. He is expected to be able to speak and breathe freely once more when October rolls around.

Hi guys, just thought I'd stick the boot in while they're down. Here's to a successful 2004 for the mighty Tiges.

Hanno said:
Melbourne, Sunday.

Any team drawn to play Port Adelaide in a final from next season on will have the option of inflicting yet another embarrassing hiding on the "Power" or choosing instead to gain match practice under genuine finals conditions by participating in a "scratch match" against whichever side finishes sixth in the Bellarine Football League (the BFL maintains a final five despite consistent AFL pressure to just throw the finals open to anyone).
G'day hanno, don't happen to come from down the Bellarine by any chance?

Sure do, TM. Couldn't resist giving the BFL a mention.

I'm going around for Portarlington (been there six years now). Please don't ask how we travelled this year. Let's just say we're in a "transitionary period" where the focus is on rebuilding.

;)

Hate to put a slipper in hanno but I'm a Grubber fan from a zillion years ago. My brother has been involved with the O.G.F.C. for many many many years, I hear they went alright again this year. Seniors , Ressies and under seventeens all won a flag.

Yep, very professional outfit, the Grubbers, with something like 8 of the last 11 flags. They've been written off as just making up the numbers in finals for the past couple of years, but always come through in the big games. You have to admire that.

They've had a couple of excellent coaches, too, since I've been at Port, with Bernie McCartney (who left to be an assistant at Geelong) and Mark Neeld (who has put up his hand for one of the Geelong assistant coaching jobs on offer at the moment.