Alex Rance on 3AW after 10 AM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance on 3AW after 10 AM

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Apparently he is on to discuss how he hated every game of footy he ever played. Obviously has some demons, but still an absolute legend. A full back they had to tag, he was so influential.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Apparently he is on to discuss how he hated every game of footy he ever played. Obviously has some demons, but still an absolute legend. A full back they had to tag, he was so influential.
If true, and I dont think I will listen, that's so sad.
To hate every game of footy when you've played for a decade is more than sad TBH.

Reactions: 3 users
If true, and I dont think I will listen, that's so sad.
To hate every game of footy when you've played for a decade is more than sad TBH.
Probably makes a better current affairs story than saying he misses the game

Reactions: 1 users
He is a complicated character. I doubt he hated the $750k he was getting in his last few years.

Reactions: 2 users
Was he trying to kill himself then? Played with guts every week.

Reactions: 1 users
Ian Stewart wore a dress.
Who cares?
Rance is a Legend of the RFC.
Never forget

• Love
can only assume that he said what he has said repeatedly previously that he hated the stress of the actual game

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone listen? What did he actually say?
Listen: https://www.3aw.com.au/tick-alex-rance-reveals-why-he-didnt-enjoy-one-game-of-afl-football/

Caught the footy bug towards teenagehood and decided to play footy, but the main reason is that he is a religious person and enjoys following that way of life. Bit strange in saying he didn't like playing footy. He wanted to be successful but didn't like competing against another person/player (forwards). Emma Murray helped his psychology. I reckon Rancey saw us winning the 2017 flag and must've thought we climbed the mountain, we reached the sky and nothing more was there to achieve. He called it a relief. Talked about he and Jack locking horns early on and even told Richo off once. Loved being around Duz and then spoke about his academy.

Last edited:
Rance and Cotch are at polar extremes in their personalites. Cotch has a switch. He turns it on and goes into beast mode and turns it off again and turns into dad/husband. Rance doesn't have that switch. He's all in 100% of the time on what he is focused on at that time. Both great players but found their inspiration from different places and, its no wonder why Rance couldn't sustain it, whereas Cotch has other things in his life to balance out footy

Reactions: 9 users
he did a Howie Games interview a few weeks back. Worth a listen. Same sort of story, loved the game but had trouble switching from fierce competitor to loving bloke straight after a match. Did make reference that there was no scandal that made him quit. Spent a lot of the time flogging his school.

Rance was at Messendon for a few months this year in a development role. If went there to decide whether he still hated the game, it didn't take him long to make up his mind. He snatched it after a few months, he couldn't get out there quick enough.

Rance and Cotch are at polar extremes in their personalites. Cotch has a switch. He turns it on and goes into beast mode and turns it off again and turns into dad/husband. Rance doesn't have that switch. He's all in 100% of the time on what he is focused on at that time. Both great players but found their inspiration from different places and, its no wonder why Rance couldn't sustain it, whereas Cotch has other things in his life to balance out footy
great post. Exactly right I reckon.

Understanding this gives you the ability to comprehend the complexities of athletes and their motivations.
Dusty has had a shift due to circumstances beyond his control and was struggling to rationalise where he’s at and why he does it.
From what I hear, he’s in a much better place but not putting too much pressure on himself.
Think finals for him is a tonic. Gives him purpose and direction