Anti virus installation | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anti virus installation

tigeronaharley

Tiger Superstar
Jan 29, 2005
LAIDLEY HEIGHTS.QLD
Being relatively new to PC's, I've always paid someone to install our virus protection [trend micro ]@ $150 every 12 mths. My question is are we being ripped off, can we download & install ourselves, is it easy? Appreciate anyone's help/advice.
  'Go Tiges '  :emblem :thumbsup

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
possibly.
I use Norton's Anti Virus and have set my PC up so that it automatically updates from the Norton Web Site on a daily basis with the latest anti-virus stuff.

IMO anti-virus software should be updated at least once per weekas new viruses are being found almost every hour.

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
See the thread on AVG anti virus tigeronaharley.

IMHO: I've had PC's for about 8-9 years now. Am currently running AVG Free Anti Virus and the Free version of Zone Alarm Firewall. They both work equally as well, if not better than any product I have ever had to pay for, including Trend Microcillin, Nortons, Bit Defender, and others. I wouldn't keep paying for a product when you can get an alternative for free. Also, the markup on a lot of Anti Virus software is pretty steep. I know, I can sell it! I choose not to and steer any clients to the above products for home use. Business use is a little different.

Hope that is of help.

Cheers,

Smoo.

TIGEREXTRA

Tiger Legend
Jun 20, 2004
Melbourne
smoo said:
See the thread on AVG anti virus tigeronaharley.

IMHO: I've had PC's for about 8-9 years now. Am currently running AVG Free Anti Virus and the Free version of Zone Alarm Firewall. They both work equally as well, if not better than any product I have ever had to pay for, including Trend Microcillin, Nortons, Bit Defender, and others. I wouldn't keep paying for a product when you can get an alternative for free. Also, the markup on a lot of Anti Virus software is pretty steep. I know, I can sell it! I choose not to and steer any clients to the above products for home use. Business use is a little different.

Hope that is of help.

Cheers,

Smoo.
Thanks for the tip smoo. :thumbsup

smoo

The Tiger Roars Again!
Sep 8, 2003
Melbourne
www.techspeak.biz
No probs....it's just MHO...I got tired of paying for anti virus prorgrams. Nortons is great, it's just resource hungry, especially when you are running system works, antivirus and internet security. Unless you have plenty of RAM and a quick processor, it will slow your system down. I'm not a big wrap for Trend, and most others I have tried have been fairly ordinary. For free programs, I reckon both of the ones I mentioned are great!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
smoo said:
Am currently running AVG Free Anti Virus and the Free version of Zone Alarm Firewall.  They both work equally as well, if not better than any product I have ever had to pay for,

Ditto. I had a lot of problems with Norton and they refunded me the money for the program because they couldn't sort it out.

I had an anti-virus program from Melbourne (forget the name at the moment) for years. It was a bit over $100 a year and I was forever getting that the tech staff had to take over my computer to try and fix virus problems. I even had to reformat because they couldn't clear the problem.

I've had the free AGV for a year or more now and have never had a single virus since I installed it.